Your Recent 'Other' Purchases

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Hardest of All Freds

Re: Your Recent 'Other' Purchases

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Freebie of Facebook - a 42" HD Philips LCD tv. All works well. Only trouble was it weighs a metric ton. I think its from around 2008ish. 2 HDMI, component and 2 scart. Perfect as a second telly for the Xbox and whatnot upstairs.
Going Solo...................

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:01 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Freebie of Facebook - a 42" HD Philips LCD tv. All works well. Only trouble was it weighs a metric ton. I think its from around 2008ish. 2 HDMI, component and 2 scart. Perfect as a second telly for the Xbox and whatnot upstairs.
That is one hell of a freebie!!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:05 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Freebie of Facebook - a 42" HD Philips LCD tv. All works well. Only trouble was it weighs a metric ton. I think its from around 2008ish. 2 HDMI, component and 2 scart. Perfect as a second telly for the Xbox and whatnot upstairs.
That's what I thought. There must be a catch... but everything works fine. Shame there is no built in Freeview or a VGA port but beggars can't be choosers I spose
Going Solo...................

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:36 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
That's what I thought. There must be a catch... but everything works fine. Shame there is no built in Freeview or a VGA port but beggars can't be choosers I spose
Probably around 30kg which is massive compared to today's tv weights. Probably use a tonne of electricty to run it as well. Still it will still be a decent picture though. Shame philips have so little presence in the TV market now, it was around 1% of the market three years ago.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:39 am

Myself I picked up a new Panasonic multi region blu ray player. Said I would never get one but then saw how many region locked blu rays released by the label scream/shout factory in America I actually want :lol:

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:49 pm

A new laptop battery, went for the maximum capacity version, 6800mha. Bit chunkier and raises the laptop forward, much better for typing in my opinion.

Currently says 8 and a half hours remaining, but I haven't played any videos or games yet...that will soon go down!!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
it will be most likely someone's former front room tv and got a newer one, but couldn't use it in a bedroom or such like as its too heavy and bulky to use upstairs.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 am

flatapex wrote:it will be most likely someone's former front room tv and got a newer one, but couldn't use it in a bedroom or such like as its too heavy and bulky to use upstairs.
More likely they already have decent TVs in the other room than anything to do with size or weight. 42" TVs are dirt cheap now, we gave away one of ours as we bought a 50" to replace it (then Mrs Ant said it didn't look that much bigger, could have got away with a 60" if I'd realised she wouldn't object, missed a trick there).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:57 am

Anyone use Apple Music? EE offering a free 6 month trial, and I'm tempted. Does it integrate with iTunes easily? Would mostly be using it on my phone.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 am

Sel Feena wrote:Anyone use Apple Music? EE offering a free 6 month trial, and I'm tempted. Does it integrate with iTunes easily? Would mostly be using it on my phone.
I got the 3 month trial and I must say it's brilliant. It's as simple as searching for artists you want via iTunes (on your computer, tablet or phone) and streaming or downloading whatever you want to listen too. Huge variety of things available, especially if you're in to J-Pop, K-Pop, etc.

It also has a bunch of 'radio' streams, playlists with varying themes.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
flatapex wrote:it will be most likely someone's former front room tv and got a newer one, but couldn't use it in a bedroom or such like as its too heavy and bulky to use upstairs.
More likely they already have decent TVs in the other room than anything to do with size or weight. 42" TVs are dirt cheap now, we gave away one of ours as we bought a 50" to replace it (then Mrs Ant said it didn't look that much bigger, could have got away with a 60" if I'd realised she wouldn't object, missed a trick there).
i haven't bought a tv for years, we gave one of our 32 inch ones away last year to a friend. I think ours is nearly 50 inches, not really sure.

I am more into music than anything, considered to moving hifi upstairs and buying a fancy seperates system but money doesn't allow it

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 pm

ps1 retro mug, £3.99 at sainsburys. really nice surprise, always browse the entertainment section in there not really expecting to find anything retro related. but today I see they are selling mugs from my favourite retro console! win!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Some new flyers

I hate my phones camera............
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Not so much a purchase other than the bits to turn a record into a clock.

I bought the Revenge of Shinobi soundtrack from Data Discs but it had a load of surface imperfections making playback pretty bad. They sent out a new copy which is perfect and they said i could keep the old one.

Must say it turned out pretty sweet, better than expected.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Star Wars google cardboard thingy, naturally tore first time positioning the velcro but nothing superglue couldnt sort.

First impressions a bit meh, didnt seem to quite focus my phone right (its a z5 premium so display is fairly decent) but I tried a few things, Mercdes Benz World was naff, I was expecting a passenger seat experiance but just got the Camera stuck to the back of the cars and BMW vision 100 felt like a midget perspective.

Open to suggestions naturally, if somone ripped the old Simulator vids (Timegate to Egypt, astrocoaster etc) to it I reckon it would be quite awesome.
Watching you sleep since 1990