First home game u played that was closest 2 arcade quality?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

space_ace

First home game u played that was closest 2 arcade quality?

Post by space_ace » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Most of us of a certain age grew up with the abject disappointment of seeing lots of screenshots and previews in Crash Magazine, C & VG and the like, which would remain as we were opening the box until the game loaded and, most of the time you thought, is that it?

What was the first game you ever played where it genuinely felt like you were playing something of Arcade quality? For me, it would have to be either Salamander on the Commodore 64, Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga, or Gunhed on the PC Engine; those games were amazing, breathtakingly good for the time.

Antiriad2097

Re: First home game u played that was closest 2 arcade quali

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Well, ignoring all the Pong variants, possibly Invaders from IJK Software on the Oric 1 in terms of home conversions, though Xenon 1 was a better, slicker game overall that borrowed ideas from several arcade games rather than being a conversion of a particular one. Those early arcade games transferred pretty well to the 8 bits. Once you skip forward a couple of years arcade hardware leaves the home systems trailing well behind, at which point I'd agree that Salamander was excellent, even if it is clipped somewhat.

Then of course there's the Neo-Geo...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Planetoid on the BBC.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Omega Race on the Vic 20

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Omega Race on the Vic 20
Your mention of the Vic 20 has reminded me of a game that blew my mind before Planetoid. It was Pac Man, on a cartridge, and it was pretty astonishing. I remember the sound mostly, really authentic. Not sure how accurate the colours were because I only ever played it at my mate's house on a b&w portable. It was definitely before I played Planetoid.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Vigilante on the PCE is the first game that made me think the arcade machine had been transported to my living room. Superb conversion.

Eat your nans pants

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Probably when I got New Zealand Story on the Atari ST. It's not arcade-perfect by quite a way - the screen clearly still has borders and a fixed score panel. But it was the first time I was playing a game with proper hi-res coloured sprites, colourful scrolling backgrounds (instead of mostly black space), decent music and sound effects and no jerky movements or slowdown. A notable step-up from any 8-bit home computer. It was good enough. Similarly arcade-quality games were Rodland, Pang and Gauntlet II, although comparing the latter to the arcade you can see that the home versions don't have the strange 'oversized' sprites of the arcade.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Jelly Monster on the Vic 20. Brilliant pacman clone. So good, atari forced it'd withdrawal from sale.

And Skramble by Anirog for the c64. Brilliant.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:29 pm

The Beans wrote:
Your mention of the Vic 20 has reminded me of a game that blew my mind before Planetoid. It was Pac Man, on a cartridge, and it was pretty astonishing. I remember the sound mostly, really authentic. Not sure how accurate the colours were because I only ever played it at my mate's house on a b&w portable. It was definitely before I played Planetoid.
I had Jelly Monsters which I seem to remember to be considered better than Atarisoft version. Having quickly looked at both on YouTube, obviously I cannot comment on gameplay but the Atarisoft version looks and sounds much closer to the original, and with a lot less flicker
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:42 pm

PONG on Binatone

So like the real thing
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
The Beans wrote:
I had Jelly Monsters which I seem to remember to be considered better than Atarisoft version. Having quickly looked at both on YouTube, obviously I cannot comment on gameplay but the Atarisoft version looks and sounds much closer to the original, and with a lot less flicker
The version I played was definitely Jelly Monsters. Looking at a vid it seems a bit ropier than I remember it being but it seemed very impressive at the time.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:11 pm

The Beans wrote: version I played was definitely Jelly Monsters. Looking at a vid it seems a bit ropier than I remember it being but it seemed very impressive at the time.
Having watched the vids I assumed you were talking about the Atarisoft version, hey perhaps it played like a dog!

I would always stick up for the unofficial versions back then as they were generally much better (didn't play it at the time but Snapper on the BBC was cracking)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 am

Pac-Man on NES/Famicom was pretty "Arcade-perfect", so I guess that. Next up would have to be Mortal Kombat on SNES, which was a bit tonned-down but still pretty impressive, visually and sonically (PC version was Arcade-perfect in the CD-ROM version). Same could be said for Street Fighter II on the SNES, as I didn't really notice any differences between it and the Arcade version back in those times (when I got older and wiser I could tell very fast which is which). Also mentionworthy would be Contra on NES, which, while not Arcade-perfect, actually looked, sounded and played better than the Arcade version, which was an achievement in itself.

If you mean just "great graphics and sound", I'd say Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive and Donkey Kong Country on the SNES really "blew me away". Sadly, I never really experienced the Amiga scene nor did I have a PC back in those times so things like Doom, Shadow of the Beast, Dragon's Lair (Amiga and PC CD-ROM ports looked and sounded great), Defender of the Crown, King's Quest V and other computer gaming masterpieces of the time were a riddle to me untill I finally got my own computer (I had a Speccy but although it was a iconic computer, the only "Arcade-perfect" things it could output were Battlezone and Star Wars).

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 am

My vote goes to Super Mario Bros on the NES. Along with that one, pretty much the whole launch NES lineup. Super Mario Bros, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Popeye, and a bunch of others - all looked pretty much exactly like the arcade.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Same could be said for Street Fighter II on the SNES, as I didn't really notice any differences between it and the Arcade version back in those times (when I got older and wiser I could tell very fast which is which).
This was my pick. Street Fighter 2 on the SNES was an awesome port. After obsessing over Street Fighter 2 in arcades, I was so pleasantly surprised to see such an amazing port to the incredible Super Nintendo. Yeah, I can tell them apart now as you said from a tech standpoint (as we have become pickier/fussier in an age of technical obsessiveness), but in many ways I'm more fond of the SNES version and remain so : the sound, the awesome SNES pad, the varying difficulty levels, as well as it having the neat cheat code to play as the same characters in 2 player mode. I totally overlooked the fact it had borders, and the PAL version had even larger borders and was 17.5% slower...to me it was perfection.