New Rogue One Trailer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ianpmarks

Re: New Rogue One Trailer

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:43 am

paranoid marvin wrote:This is what I think should happen. Disney to admit that the first films i-iii were utter garbage and that they're going to do them again properly.

Well obviously they can't do that, but there's nothing to stop them remaking or rebooting them. Keep the pod race, Darth maul and the beginnings of the Empire that were all pretty good and reimagine the rest. The only person who would dislike this is Lucas, and I guess it depends what's in the contract they agreed.
Part of me thinks this is a good idea... the other part though still just wants to forget all about them.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Thought it was awesome. Probably my second favourite SW film behind Empire.

Negatives: Wasn't impressed with Tarkin, should have just kept him in the reflection. The music was hit and miss and it ended on another X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter fight.

Saying that, I suppose it kind of had to with what was happening but it made for a more interesting fight with also having ground troops and being stuck under the shield.

That Vader scene at the end, hell yeah.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Had it on again today while wrapping Chrimbo presents. The Force Awakens is definitely the better movie. This one is still the best of the prequels.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Not a SW fan but I've seen them all (all in the cinema except the first) and did like them (just not enough to buy them or watch them again in a hurry).

For me, this is the worst one of all 8. It's the only one where I've been sat there bored and irritated. None of the other seven made me feel that way so by default this is the worst one (in my not very important opinion).

Mainly because the first half is legit terrible. It's just here's planet A, here's a twist on the music, here's a nod to the franchise, here's a funny-looking alien, here's planet B etc.

I was absolutely hating it for ages. The only upsides were

+ robot thing was quite funny
+ blind ninja fake Jedi was good

But that first half was as bad a film as I've ever seen.

- what Emmerdale set did that find that rubbish lead actress on? Her stirring speech to the rebels? Absolute gash.
- how do you make Forest Whittaker not good? Give him a stupid accent, hint at how badass he is and show him doing eff all
- CGI Peter Cushing looked like something out of the Hobbit.

However, when it got to the second half of the film and turned into one big battle, it started to get quite good. Probably a bit too late to salvage the film for me. The effing bronchitis pricks in the cinema didn't help my mood either. Darth cleaning house at the end was superb (the only really good bit of the movie and about time he got good as in the original trilogy he seemed a bit overrated to me). CGI Leah was the worst thing.

Actually that's the whole thing. When Peter Cushing turns up, you see him in reflection. JUST LEAVE IT THERE. We know who it is, just chill. But no. They show you the whole awful thing. Same with Leah. We see the costume, we know it's her. Just leave it there. NOPE. FULL FACIAL EFFING CLOSE UP. She looked like Lego Chevy Chase. Gash.

Not going to be remembered as a classic in my opinion. Take out the stirring music and all the SW nods and you've got a flimsy war movie with a bunch of characters with no story, no motivation.

Missus and brother in law didn't rate it much either and they are actual fans of the series.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:20 am

Took my son last week -

The first half is a bit of a slog. I appreciate they need to get the characters introduced and so on (especially these are all mostly new characters) and sometimes the multiple story lines technique works well, but in this instance we still learn little about them. It's just very choppy with little substance, therefore we care little about them. The second half was fantastic in places, felt really fresh and most of all exciting! It reminded me a lot of Return of the Jedi in scope and scale.
The nods to the other films was sometimes subtle, sometimes beating you over the head. Considering the loose ends this film had to tie up to fit in behind a New Hope, it does it well.

Here be SPOILERS!

Tarkin looked (and sounded) great, yet still off. Maybe they should have used him less in the film. Vader was great! Used just enough, not OTT. The bacta tank reveal, the little swagger and THAT scene, hammers home his Badass of the galaxy title. Again this ties in with his fantastic reveal with Episode 4, however I was hoping the new film would show a little more of his brash, aggressive attitude he shows in Episode 4 (watch the first scene again to see what I mean) rather than the more cool, calculated in the later films, which to me shows Ankin changing as time goes on.
Last edited by TheDude18 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:21 am

Is this the least child friendly Star Wars movie we've had? The prequels had a lot of dull political tosh, but they also had plenty for kids to enjoy. This one is just a bit grim throughout.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 am

Definitely. While there was plenty of humour sprinkled though the film, the ending was a bit of a shock. And one scene in particular reminded me of a horror film!

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is this the least child friendly Star Wars movie we've had? The prequels had a lot of dull political tosh, but they also had plenty for kids to enjoy. This one is just a bit grim throughout.
Too true, and for me it worked just great. Cant wait to see it again.

Eat your nans pants

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is this the least child friendly Star Wars movie we've had? The prequels had a lot of dull political tosh, but they also had plenty for kids to enjoy. This one is just a bit grim throughout.

The dull political stuff was no less dull for kids than for adults, but at least adults could understand it (not always straight away though).

I would say that the new film is pretty exclusive to those unfamiliar with Star Wars; a bit like the Harry Potter films, you wouldn't get most of it unless you'd seen the other films (or in Potter's case read the books).

It was more like the ultimate in fan-made movies; in fact it was less a movie and more an extremely long intro for the 'full' movie A New Hope. This kind of ties in with the fact that there isn't a 'proper' start to the movie and no scrolly text.

In fact I don't think there's ever been a professional movie quite like it.

** * * Spoliers ahoy* * * * * * * **

Bit disappointed with Vader's first introduction; did he actually apologise to a senator? The last bit in the corridor more than made up for it, and in my opinion may go down as one of THE greatest scenes from any movie ever. We get that Darth is a bad-ass, but mainly he's choking weak officers or fighting one-on-one with other Jedi. In this scene he's a malevolent force, much like we see with young Annakin tearing apart that Tusken colony; but as dark Lord himself, this is as chilling as it gets. Utterly awesome scene, and whoever came up with that can feel very pleased with the end result.

As for the Grand Moff; as has been pointed out, he would have been much more convincing in smaller bursts; reflection in the glass, stood at the far side of a table, from behind or similar would have been better than the amount of up-close we actually get. Suspend our disbelief guys!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:26 pm

I think, after seeing the actors who played Leia & GMT, I would have been happy with them and some make-up/prosthetics. As much as it was "cutting edge" CGI, it was still too obviously CGI.
I did enjoy it though.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:20 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

The dull political stuff was no less dull for kids than for adults, but at least adults could understand it (not always straight away though).

I would say that the new film is pretty exclusive to those unfamiliar with Star Wars; a bit like the Harry Potter films, you wouldn't get most of it unless you'd seen the other films (or in Potter's case read the books).

It was more like the ultimate in fan-made movies; in fact it was less a movie and more an extremely long intro for the 'full' movie A New Hope. This kind of ties in with the fact that there isn't a 'proper' start to the movie and no scrolly text.

In fact I don't think there's ever been a professional movie quite like it.

** * * Spoliers ahoy* * * * * * * **

Bit disappointed with Vader's first introduction; did he actually apologise to a senator? The last bit in the corridor more than made up for it, and in my opinion may go down as one of THE greatest scenes from any movie ever. We get that Darth is a bad-ass, but mainly he's choking weak officers or fighting one-on-one with other Jedi. In this scene he's a malevolent force, much like we see with young Annakin tearing apart that Tusken colony; but as dark Lord himself, this is as chilling as it gets. Utterly awesome scene, and whoever came up with that can feel very pleased with the end result.

As for the Grand Moff; as has been pointed out, he would have been much more convincing in smaller bursts; reflection in the glass, stood at the far side of a table, from behind or similar would have been better than the amount of up-close we actually get. Suspend our disbelief guys!

I thought Vader was being sarcastic when he apologized?

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:36 am

this film was better than episode 2, but worse than all the others. it was too serious. the force awakens was too silly mind.

also james earl jones sounded really old.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:03 pm

HEAVYface wrote:this film was better than episode 2, but worse than all the others. it was too serious. the force awakens was too silly mind.

also james earl jones sounded really old.
I'll take old James Earl Jones over fake James Earl Jones every time.

FWIW, I preferred The Force Awakens, but this was a good movie. Granted, the planet hopping at the start got a touch annoying, but other than that I was certainly entertained.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Me and my son went before Xmas, being a huge Star Wars fan it filled in the how did they get the plans for the Death Star missing link very well indeed. I purposely didn't watch anything before going to the cinema not even a trailer so didn't know what to expect. It may have started slowly but it was very impressive, infinitely better than any of the woeful prequels.
The cgi effects were fantastic especially the characters of Tarkin and Leia, yes it's obvious to me it was cgi but it wasn't to my eleven year old son.
Darth Vader was seriously impressively evil, the last five minutes is amongst the best in the whole film franchise. Can't wait for the next Disney instalment as so far they have done the Star Wars name justice.
"Time fades even legend..."

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Just got back from seeing in proper IMAX. I really enjoyed it. One the things that I think really stands in its favour, is that unlike say the prequel trilogy - there was a near enough blank canvas to tell your story on(you only really have to have the plans for the Death Star in there) - and it made it really fresh and original. Feels very much like a war movie - sort of "The Dirty Dozen in Space". The characterisation seems a lot stronger in this film. Yes, I'll admit that the planet hopping at the beginning was a bit confusing, but I suppose it was needed to set-up the story. Jyn and K-2SO are the most interesting characters. Yeah, Darth Vader was well used in this - not too much, and enough to project his menace(not Phantom - don't worry! :lol: ). The CGI Leia and Tarkin were well done - although, it did seem a little bit unreal(maybe that's because we know the actors who play them are no longer with us?). I really hope the two remaining films in the upcoming trilogy take some notes from this, and try and do something a bit new. By the way I don't hate The Force Awakens - it's just on re-watching it, you notice how much it stuck to a formula.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.