How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:11 pm

greenberet79 wrote:I'd personally never spend that amount of money on gaming. (If I could I would haha.)
Indeed, it's a lot of cash. I'm in a unique cllection compared to most of my friends though as I review games for a living, therefore my consoles and peripherals tend to pay for themselves in the long run. WIth regards to the PSVR I simply went down the credit route. Knowing my luck it will have rapidly dropped in price by the time I pay it off in December, but I don't care, it's the best fun I've had gaming for a long, long time.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:02 am

Shutup please Darran youre inspiring me to get into VR for heavens sake and I cant afford it right now! :lol:

Actually its fun reading about it because eventually I will get the whole VR kit and caboodle, but for starters I've read something about a 4K TV... now ive still got an ancient big ol tube tv so I guess I need to invest in a new tele for starters, right.. and it has to be 4K?

I think i'll chip away at things, slowly... one bit at a time. But I want to play Resident Evil 7 in VR, at any cost. This must be done.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:35 am

Lots of games for PSVR are dropping, seen a bunch of the bigger titles like Rigs and Battlezone get the £25 treatment. Drive Club VR down to £15.99 which seems perfectly fair to me.

Picked up Trackmania Turbo which had a VR update recently so looking forward to giving that a shot.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Grizzly wrote:Lots of games for PSVR are dropping, seen a bunch of the bigger titles like Rigs and Battlezone get the £25 treatment. Drive Club VR down to £15.99 which seems perfectly fair to me.

Picked up Trackmania Turbo which had a VR update recently so looking forward to giving that a shot.
those games should never of been full price in the beginning.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:41 am

Trixta wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Lots of games for PSVR are dropping, seen a bunch of the bigger titles like Rigs and Battlezone get the £25 treatment. Drive Club VR down to £15.99 which seems perfectly fair to me.

those games should never of been full price in the beginning.
That's retail for you. New hotness comes out and they bump the prices up as a premium, tale as old as time.
I write for...

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Finally got to try it out today once my son had opened it.. Firstly, fantastic, completely immersive with bags of potential considering how early doors it all is. In the right hands VR's potential is huge.

However I do have one gripe, which im speechless about tbh. Initially I couldn't get the system to display on my TV at all. It's set up on the ps pro in the lounge at the minute btw. All I could get was a blank screen, I checked all HDMI connections etc and they were spot on. During troubleshooting I ended up bypassing the PSVR processing unit and bingo, I get my display back. Long story short, I ended up disabling all the 4k HDMI settings on the TV in order to get everything in working order. A process which involves the tv having to reboot. Great in terms of the unit working, but if I want to enjoy “Standard“ games in 4k HDR etc then I have to revert the HDMI settings and reboot again. A complete nause.

So as it stands, Sony are pushing the PS pro with all its 4k capabilities, but are selling a VR unit which is currently incapable of communication via the latest hdmi standard. The mind boggles.

Edit: just googled this issue and its common knowledge, im shocked tbh. Luckily my son wont have this problem when he moves it to his bedroom. Personally, as a result I wont be buying myself one. Theres no way I'm going to spend £400 plus for the privilege of rooting around behind the TV every time I decide to play in either vr or 4k. It's nearly 2017 ffs!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/3/131501 ... ss-through
Last edited by crusto on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 am

Yup that's a really stupid thing for Sony to do. Fortunately, I don't care for HDR so it's not an issue for me. I'd probably be royally pissed off if it was though. Glad you enjoyed your time with it.

It's fine with 4K, you just can't use HDR with it.

It's also worth noting that many TVs only seem to output 4K through certain av outputs. It definitely does 4K as I'm using it now.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:22 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yup that's a really stupid thing for Sony to do. Fortunately, I don't care for HDR so it's not an issue for me. I'd probably be royally pissed off if it was though. Glad you enjoyed your time with it.

It's fine with 4K, you just can't use HDR with it.
From what I've played so far I loved the luge. Great fun.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
It's also worth noting that many TVs only seem to output 4K through certain av outputs. It definitely does 4K as I'm using it now.
Luckily enough all my inputs support 4k :D. I suppose it's not a complete disaster, but it's a deal breaker for me as I think HDR is superb and I'd be missing out by disabling it. Goddam it, this censored should just work ffs, it isnt 1986!

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 am

crusto wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Luckily enough all my inputs support 4k :D. I suppose it's not a complete disaster, but it's a deal breaker for me as I think HDR is superb and I'd be missing out by disabling it. Goddam it, this censored should just work ffs, it isnt 1986!
That's fair enough. Personally I don't feel it adds as much to a game as 4K does so I'm not fussed about having it. I would get annoyed if I did like it though. I wonder if it can be fixed through a patch or something.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm yet to be affected by the joys of Sony's penny-pinching but getting a 4K telly soon. Hoping that switching off HDR on the PS4's settings will prevent blackouts.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:44 pm

The Re7 demo is awesome.
Just played dangerball aswell, great fun :D

Eat your nans pants

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:10 pm

crusto wrote:The Re7 demo is awesome.
Just played dangerball aswell, great fun :D
If you have a living room big enough the Holoball is a fantastic game. You'll need move controllers though.
I write for...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Just had a last minute present in the shape of a VR headset.

After much oeningand unwiring of cables etc imanaged to get it running, and boy was i suprised how immersive it was. Ive only had a ten minute go as ive an early start but i was amazed at how the Cheap MDF rubbish demo is. its like 3 minutes long and was one of the best gaming experiences ive had this past 6 months. i mean there isnt really a game as such but if this is the level this early then a year or two down the line they should be amazing.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Just had a last minute present in the shape of a VR headset.

After much oeningand unwiring of cables etc imanaged to get it running, and boy was i suprised how immersive it was. Ive only had a ten minute go as ive an early start but i was amazed at how the Cheap MDF rubbish demo is. its like 3 minutes long and was one of the best gaming experiences ive had this past 6 months. i mean there isnt really a game as such but if this is the level this early then a year or two down the line they should be amazing.
It's the future of gaming for me and im pretty sure it's here to stay, I can't see it falling by the wayside. And yep, if the early stuff is anything to go by then we are in for a treat in the coming years.

Eat your nans pants