Japan repair a 30m wide sinkhole in a week!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Japan repair a 30m wide sinkhole in a week!

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37985927

Wonder how long it would have taken for that to be repaired here in the UK? :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sputryk

Re: Japan repair a 30m wide sinkhole in a week!

Post by Sputryk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Aye, saw this on the news whilst over there these passed few weeks. News was reporting only on the hole appearing even after repair had been completed! I do wonder whether the surrounding buildings were checked for safety as all that water would surely have softened the foundations somewhat? Two days to do that work just doesn't seem way long enough.

Am aware of a sink hole in Manchester that, though being a fraction of the size - but still blocking the road - took around 10 MONTHS to resolve.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:08 am

Amazing stuff, but I wonder just how thorough a job it was, checking all the surrounding buildings etc. Just seems crazy quick

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:49 pm

For the comparison, there was a small bridge over here in the UK (I forget where) that was washed away by floods this year causing a 20 mile diversion. As far as I know, it still isn't repaired owing to the wonders of planning and logistics :roll:

Really would be nice if people could just do things and immediately sort it out rather than p1ssing about with red tape!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:07 pm

I think its less of a red tape job, more of a gaffa tape job

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Not surprised, I heard they had a lot of the roads that were hugely damaged by the earthquakes and Tsunami years ago got repaired a week later.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Megamixer wrote:For the comparison, there was a small bridge over here in the UK (I forget where) that was washed away by floods this year causing a 20 mile diversion. As far as I know, it still isn't repaired owing to the wonders of planning and logistics :roll:

Really would be nice if people could just do things and immediately sort it out rather than p1ssing about with red tape!
The bridge in tadcaster that collapsed last year still hasn't been repaired (though i think it is grade II listed so that may be why they are taking their time)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:03 am

playzooki wrote:
Megamixer wrote:For the comparison, there was a small bridge over here in the UK (I forget where) that was washed away by floods this year causing a 20 mile diversion. As far as I know, it still isn't repaired owing to the wonders of planning and logistics :roll:

The bridge in tadcaster that collapsed last year still hasn't been repaired (though i think it is grade II listed so that may be why they are taking their time)
It's also to do with the fact that Sam Smith (of Sam Smith's breweries) basically owns most of the property in the town and refused to let the council put up a temporary footbridge while they repaired it as it's technically on his land. And he's miserable miserly old sod.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 am

playzooki wrote:

THe M3 motorway "improvement" works seem to have been going on for about half a century now with no apparent progress, aside from a 50mph average speed zone to protect the traffic cones