How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by errolwd40 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Darran, I hardly starting moaning about VR just said I had no interest personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is a shame that you felt the need to somehow name and shame me, I have bought well over 100 issues of Retro Gamer over the last 12 years and bought several bookazines and I do not appreciate being treated in this manner. Please do not feel the need to respond as I shall not be here to read it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:44 pm

errolwd40 wrote:Darran, I hardly starting moaning about VR just said I had no interest personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is a shame that you felt the need to somehow name and shame me, I have bought well over 100 issues of Retro Gamer over the last 12 years and bought several bookazines and I do not appreciate being treated in this manner. Please do not feel the need to respond as I shall not be here to read it.
k

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:24 pm

errolwd40 wrote:Darran, I hardly starting moaning about VR just said I had no interest personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is a shame that you felt the need to somehow name and shame me, I have bought well over 100 issues of Retro Gamer over the last 12 years and bought several bookazines and I do not appreciate being treated in this manner. Please do not feel the need to respond as I shall not be here to read it.
Slight over reaction there.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Buying things. Being a fan. Supporting things.

Any of the above 3 do not stop you from being an idiot or a prat or whatever.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm

He'll be back. The flouncers always come back once their 'look at my dramatic exit' moment has faded.. Which is fine, but the initial flounce is funny, I'm sure the intended reaction is not a guffaw.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:12 pm

Wait a min

THIS SITE HAS FANBOYS!!!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:25 am

DPrinny wrote:
k
actually chuckled :)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 am

Been playing through Tethered and Windlands and they are both fairly interesting.

Windlands is basically Bionic Commando without the combat, swinging from floating platform to others is an absolute joy. By far the most intense VR experience i have played thanks to being fully locomotive, I think this is the first game in which you are actually on feet and running around, most others tend to put you in a cockpit of some kind. It's really jarring at first and the first game to make me feel woozy. I overcame it after a couple of tries though so thankfully it doesn't last (and there are motion sickness reducing things you can do to ease your experience, Of course i turned all of these off)

Tethered is pretty surprising. There is more to it than the cutesy outward appearance. It makes for a fun god sim and the diorama effect that the VR headset gives is quite something. It's like sitting at a table while watching little people create a village on top of it. Definitely something to try if you want something a bit different than the usual "things flying at your face" VR experience. It has legs too, each level can take up to an hour to complete and there are Thirteen of them. For one of the first RTS games for VR it shows pretty well that it is a genre that can work for the platform.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:58 am

If asking you to spell my name correctly is naming and shaming you then I don't know what this world is coming to.
Sorry you won't be hear to read my reply.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:59 am

Grizzly wrote:Been playing through Tethered and Windlands and they are both fairly interesting.

Tethered is pretty surprising. There is more to it than the cutesy outward appearance. It makes for a fun god sim and the diorama effect that the VR headset gives is quite something. It's like sitting at a table while watching little people create a village on top of it. Definitely something to try if you want something a bit different than the usual "things flying at your face" VR experience. It has legs too, each level can take up to an hour to complete and there are Thirteen of them. For one of the first RTS games for VR it shows pretty well that it is a genre that can work for the platform.
This sounds good Grizzly. One of the things I like about VR so far is that you're starting to discover genres that you'd have either completely dismissed or simply assumed they couldn't work. I would have completely dismissed a VR platformer until I played Robot Rescue for example.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:02 am

Yeah Robot Rescue left me wanting a hell of a lot more. Here's hoping we get a Tearaway follow up with VR support.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 am

He should sign up to WoS. They really appreciate a well-executed flounce over there.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 am

I think they need to resurrect Jumping Flash...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:30 am

joefish wrote:I think they need to resurrect Jumping Flash...
3D Monster maze
Deathchase

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:25 pm

joefish wrote:I think they need to resurrect Jumping Flash...
That would be great in VR I think, you'd get that sense of vertigo along with the required camera angles for decent platforming, you could get some really tricky stuff going on.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.