Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Re: Nintendo NX Reveal Coming Tomorrow!

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Nope. This isn't the one.

Either push mobile gaming forward or escalate this XB1/PS4 arms race to the next level. A compromised hybrid thing? Nah.

It seems to be based on the idea that you'd take your handheld to basketball practice or a rooftop party where people suddenly want to stop having fun and start playing Skyrim or something. I don't think that's a demographic that exists.

Unless they've nicked some tech from a UFO, I can't see how this'll be anything better than having a PS4 and a Vita. Sure, the Vita doesn't get Skyrim and Dark Souls etc but who wants that type of thing on a handheld anyway?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Nope. This isn't the one.

Either push mobile gaming forward or escalate this XB1/PS4 arms race to the next level. A compromised hybrid thing? Nah.

It seems to be based on the idea that you'd take your handheld to basketball practice or a rooftop party where people suddenly want to stop having fun and start playing Skyrim or something. I don't think that's a demographic that exists.

Unless they've nicked some tech from a UFO, I can't see how this'll be anything better than having a PS4 and a Vita. Sure, the Vita doesn't get Skyrim and Dark Souls etc but who wants that type of thing on a handheld anyway?
agreed, and :lol: at:

It seems to be based on the idea that you'd take your handheld to basketball practice or a rooftop party where people suddenly want to stop having fun and start playing Skyrim or something

spot on, not sure who nintendo are targeting with that video.

thought the same about Skyrim, it's an awesome game but I'd never want to play it "on the go", it's a game to sit down and sink hours into, not to play for a quick 10 minutes on the tram.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Nope. This isn't the one.

Yeah it seems a bit "jack of all trades, master of none" at first glance, which is all I'll be giving it tbh. The nintendoids seem happy with it though, which is the main thing.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:It seems to be based on the idea that you'd take your handheld to basketball practice or a rooftop party where people suddenly want to stop having fun and start playing Skyrim or something. I don't think that's a demographic that exists.

You've just described 99% of marketing though. Same reason Ford will show their latest car cruising the Alps or an empty city, not stuck in traffic on the way to pick the kids up and stop in Tesco on the way back.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 pm

I think it looks good personally.

I like that I won't have to buy (I know I don't HAVE to but) different versions of games e.g 3D Mario Land/World, as they're too similar. I played Land loads but when I got World I had already seen most of what it had to offer in gameplay terms. In essence it was too soon for more of the same.

Being able to play Zelda at home and then on the nights I take my son to his swimming lessons I'll be able to play for a couple of hours out of the house. Bargain.

It doesn't need to be a powerhouse graphically, it's all about art design. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best looking games around.

As long as the battery life is decent enough and the storage is not stupidly low then I see no downside.

If they have ports of older games like Skyrim coming and others that were not available on the go before then great. Being able to play these games out and about, laying in bed or even on the crapper then that's fine by me.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Skyrim on the go is perfect for me... I commute for 4 hours each day.

I wonder what impact this will have on the 3ds?

If I get as much fun out of it as the wii u, then I'll be happy.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm not sure on this one. Ok, so I will probably get it at launch, beacause I am a mug, but don't see how this will grab Nintendo a bigger slice of the gaming market.
At least it isn't called Wii-something...

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:55 pm

skodathegreat wrote:I'm not sure on this one. Ok, so I will probably get it at launch, beacause I am a mug, but don't see how this will grab Nintendo a bigger slice of the gaming market..
Exactly, in fact I can't see casual gamers buying into this at all, the Wii was different, brought family fun and something different, hence 100 million consoles sold, this is just a tablet on the go that's unique, or an underpowered home console, casual gamers already use phones and phablets on the go, this is even bigger and fatter, and parents won't be willing for kids to use the thing because if it gets damaged that's the console part knackered too!
Nintendo will no doubt get their fan base buying, though going by Wii U sales that's not massive, with 3DS support continuing I see no other market buyers for this device.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Think as far as 3DS goes, they'll slowly start to phase it out next year. Aside from 3rd party, indy, and maybe even one more set of Pokemon games after Sun/Moon (Like how B2W2 came out after the 3DS), I think it's number will be up come about 2018 for the soon to be 6 year old handheld and Nintendo's focus will be purely the NX as well as their mobile games, which as pointed out they won't be making 2 Mario Karts, 2 Smash Bros etc at the same time anymore and we could see series' that have mostly remained handheld only like the main Pokemon games, Mario&Luigi etc. on our TVs at last (Along with the graphic push from 3DS to Switch for those games). But maybe with some more freed up development teams/partners they can have more free time on less used franchises like Metroid and F Zero.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm

People are missing one good point here.

A lot of people who have a console also have a handheld system.Plus Nintendos handheld systems sell well anyway.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Well, looks like the rumours were pretty correct - a handheld/home console hybrid that functions as a portable as well as hooks up to the TV. It looks like a evolution of the Wii U, but done right. We can also see a renewed focus on "core gamers" in that trailer, not just the pre 10 year olds like they marketed the Wii U. How receptive the mainstream will be comes down to the pricing of it, as well as what kind of software support it will get. If the pricing will be right and it will get industry-wide software support, I think it can do pretty well. Specs won't play that huge of a role imo, that's more what forum goers/tech freaks excite over.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:05 pm

markopoloman wrote:Doesn't look too bad... but what of my Wii-U?!

Unlikely I'd get this - unless there is something out of this world released as an exclusive. And even then it's unlikely!

Why can't they just release an absolute BEAST of a machine that blows the competition out of the water instead of mucking around with variations of the Wii.
Wii U is dead, let it go... :P

Nintendo is out of the hardware race since the GameCube, the very idea of a handheld/home console should give you a big hint of what they're about. The slaugherhouse will be between PS4 Pro, Scropio and PC (with PC obviously comming on top, but you will also have to pay for it).

And to those saying that add feels too "Americanized" - that's very intentional. :wink:

Nintendo's biggest market is the US so I don't see anything controversial in trying to cater to their tastes more. Wii U's very Japanese-oriented focus and marketing certainly didn't work to desired sales effect.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Like the idea of this. Like the implications, but need to know more about the games.

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Indeed, it's all about the games!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Really good design and melding of Console/Handheld gaming, would certainly have liked to have seen Sony go in this direction with a PSTV/Vita style system!

Depending on launch cost and games, I may be tempted to pick one up.