How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nakamura

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by nakamura » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 am

I had no interest in VR last Tuesday. I played it Wednesday and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.

It's exceptional.

It made me feel like I was a kid again. A true sense of wonder. The games are very good, enhanced immeasurably but the total sense of immersion.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 am

Of course it's a gimmick, will we all be playing with VR in a couple of years...nope, hence it's a gimmick, sure it's a great gimmick and don't get me wrong I've been using Rift and GearVR for two years, but there comes a time when you get fed up with the 'procedure' of using it and some games making you feel sick, the resolution bump to 4K is defo needed which is why I'm not bothering with PSVR the same applies to that.

Most PSVR users will bloody enjoy it for a good 6 months, I can then see eBay being flooded with units, others will hold on a while longer, so yeah as much as everyone is loving it now, it is a fad, a gimmick but it's not to say it's not good, heck I waited 25 years to finally have a VR unit at home after using Virtuality in the early 90s, but like 3D films you will return to 2D the majority of the time.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:27 am

There's a lot of throwaway games out there for this thing at the moment. It's new tech so it's to be expected. The devs are still getting to grips with it all. There's no need for the instant fanboys to get their knickers in a twist over this. Some of us need more convincing and are prepared to wait, that's all.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:56 am

The Beans wrote:There's a lot of throwaway games out there for this thing at the moment. It's new tech so it's to be expected. The devs are still getting to grips with it all. There's no need for the instant fanboys to get their knickers in a twist over this. Some of us need more convincing and are prepared to wait, that's all.
Tell me of these many throwaway PSVR games so that I can avoid buying them please. It would be incredibly useful.
And you're right, devs are still getting to grips with it, but they're doing a pretty impressive job at the moment. N

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:59 am

General Opulence wrote:Of course it's a gimmick, will we all be playing with VR in a couple of years...nope, hence it's a gimmick, sure it's a great gimmick and don't get me wrong I've been using Rift and GearVR for two years, but there comes a time when you get fed up with the 'procedure' of using it and some games making you feel sick, the resolution bump to 4K is defo needed which is why I'm not bothering with PSVR the same applies to that.

Most PSVR users will bloody enjoy it for a good 6 months, I can then see eBay being flooded with units, others will hold on a while longer, so yeah as much as everyone is loving it now, it is a fad, a gimmick but it's not to say it's not good, heck I waited 25 years to finally have a VR unit at home after using Virtuality in the early 90s, but like 3D films you will return to 2D the majority of the time.
It's like any peripheral. If it gets the support it will be fine, if it doesn't it will die out like any other fad, game or otherwise.
But hell, if being able to actually be in a videogame is a gimmick it's one I'm happy to have in my life.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 am

General Opulence wrote:Of course it's a gimmick, will we all be playing with VR in a couple of years...nope

That's incredibly presumptuous considering this is still considered new technology. Fair enough PSVR in its current form might not be as welcome later on in its life span but to suggest that VR in general will be dead in the water seems like a shaky prediction at best.

The technology will only get better over time, i think it's fantastic that the current VR trend already has a workable experience that developers are taking seriously in terms of game design. Now am i saying it will take over? Lord no. But i predict it to become a complimentary experience, similar to how PS3 and Xbox 360 owners saw the Wii when choosing consoles. The Wii worked because it captured the casual markets and those that wanted something a bit different and VR could well end up being the next Wii.

What VR needs is standardisation, This is not something PC lead VR can do thanks to the variances in technology and the constant power race. Console VR is THE step forward for the mass market and the PSVR has had an incredibly strong start for what is considered to be an expensive accessory. All eyes will be on Sony for keeping that momentum going with support, that will be the true measure for how PSVR will do.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 am

It does have the distinct benefit of being an 'off screen' experience. Mrs Ant could be watching telly and I could pull out a headset and play. Even if games just project onto a 2D virtual TV screen within that space it could be useful.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:23 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It does have the distinct benefit of being an 'off screen' experience. Mrs Ant could be watching telly and I could pull out a headset and play. Even if games just project onto a 2D virtual TV screen within that space it could be useful.
Sadly i think the Vita is better equipped for this. The pixelation can be a bit much for some games. It's neat at first but i just couldn't play for hours using this view.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:55 am

Grizzly wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:It does have the distinct benefit of being an 'off screen' experience. Mrs Ant could be watching telly and I could pull out a headset and play. Even if games just project onto a 2D virtual TV screen within that space it could be useful.
Sadly i think the Vita is better equipped for this. The pixelation can be a bit much for some games. It's neat at first but i just couldn't play for hours using this view.
I don't know. Wii lightgun games are pretty good fun

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:11 am

Grizzly wrote:
General Opulence wrote:Of course it's a gimmick, will we all be playing with VR in a couple of years...nope

That's incredibly presumptuous considering this is still considered new technology. Fair enough PSVR in its current form might not be as welcome later on in its life span but to suggest that VR in general will be dead in the water seems like a shaky prediction at best.

The technology will only get better over time, i think it's fantastic that the current VR trend already has a workable experience that developers are taking seriously in terms of game design. Now am i saying it will take over? Lord no. But i predict it to become a complimentary experience, similar to how PS3 and Xbox 360 owners saw the Wii when choosing consoles. The Wii worked because it captured the casual markets and those that wanted something a bit different and VR could well end up being the next Wii.

What VR needs is standardisation, This is not something PC lead VR can do thanks to the variances in technology and the constant power race. Console VR is THE step forward for the mass market and the PSVR has had an incredibly strong start for what is considered to be an expensive accessory. All eyes will be on Sony for keeping that momentum going with support, that will be the true measure for how PSVR will do.
I never said it will be dead in the water, I said not all of us will be playing VR In a couple of years, so how you think that is incredibly presumptuous is beyond me.
And VR will become the next Wii, look at that now!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 am

To be fair Opulence, you basically said no one will be playing it in X amount of time. That's presumptuous.
Personally, I'm still not convinced it will take off, mainly because it's a peripheral device that's more expensive than the console it's created for.

However, as a 40+ year-old it's everything I imagined videogames might be when I first encountered them back in the Eighties and that's reason enough for me to buy into it.

I've had lots of people coming to my house the last week, gamers and non-gamers and I've never seem them to react to a videogame in the way they react to the ones they played in VR. I feel like we're at a genuine turning point for games and it's an incredibly exciting place to be.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To be fair Opulence, you basically said no one will be playing it in X amount of time. That's presumptuous.
Personally, I'm still not convinced it will take off, mainly because it's a peripheral device that's more expensive than the console it's created for.
What!? Again it's just as presumptuous for you two to presume what I said differently, I never said no one will be playing two years or more down the line, of course people will but not in mass numbers, but carry presuming if it makes you happy :roll:

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:34 am

Ive had a rift for a while now, held rift parties etc and the the moment the novelty is definitely worn OFF.

I feel like those who are experiencing PSVR will go through the same stages i have done.

Yes, when you first introduce it, it is fantastic. There is no experience like it.

But when you get to spend a lot of time with it, its problems come to the surface quickly:

The resolution really gets on my nerves, the 3d videos are super low res and jarring.

The screendoor effect is awful on the rift, i find it difficult to get past.

And the motion sickness, terrible. In normal things i am fine, but rotating the ship in eve Valkyrie just makes me want to puke. Its not getting easier neither, as much as i try and acclimatize myself.

It just sits there now, to impress people who have never tried it, but id much rather have 4k visuals on a regular TV

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:47 am

ulala wrote:Ive had a rift for a while now, held rift parties etc and the the moment the novelty is definitely worn OFF.

I feel like those who are experiencing PSVR will go through the same stages i have done.

Yes, when you first introduce it, it is fantastic. There is no experience like it.

But when you get to spend a lot of time with it, its problems come to the surface quickly:

The resolution really gets on my nerves, the 3d videos are super low res and jarring.

The screendoor effect is awful on the rift, i find it difficult to get past.

And the motion sickness, terrible. In normal things i am fine, but rotating the ship in eve Valkyrie just makes me want to puke. Its not getting easier neither, as much as i try and acclimatize myself.

It just sits there now, to impress people who have never tried it, but id much rather have 4k visuals on a regular TV
Maybe you're not playing the right games? The Sony exclusive stuff is excellent.
Fair point on the motion sickness, but it's not affected me in anyway yet.
All the other things you mention don't bother me, but they're clearly valid to you. Will be interesting to see how I feel in a couple of month's time.
I think it's down to the games though. If there aren't good games, you won't play it.

RG_Drew

Post by RG_Drew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:39 am

I think PS VR is probably the 'biggest' moment for VR thus far. It's a good middle ground between high-end PC devices and the more throwaway mobile devices. The launch lineup of games is fantastic, too. And that's what will determine if this succeeds of fails. Games. The next few months are strong, and Resident Evil 7 will be perhaps what will sway floating voters, it being released around the January sales spending period. Beyond then, I don't see too much outside of Ace Combat 7, though.

Between this and 4K/HDR, I see VR as a more logical and significant step towards more immersive gaming experiences. That said, I wouldn't want it to replace traditional gaming. I'd like them to exist side-by-side.