How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ALK

Re: How big are you expecting the PS4 VR to be?

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Saw one in my local CeX already, they were asking £500 for it. :shock:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Not a VR user and I don't intend to become one anytime soon either, but from what I gather VR is god-send for simulator fans, that is for racing, flight and space sims and first-person horror games ("walking simulators") it improves immersion 100 fold, but for many other type of games it's supposedly quite gimmicky. So if you're into simulators, VR is your thing, but I very much doubt it would improve the likes of Space Invaders and Pac Man much. The "gamey" games will not feel much better with it, but realistic/sim style games will benefit a lot from it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:02 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Not a VR user and I don't intend to become one anytime soon either, but from what I gather VR is god-send for simulator fans, that is for racing, flight and space sims and first-person horror games ("walking simulators") it improves immersion 100 fold, but for many other type of games it's supposedly quite gimmicky. So if you're into simulators, VR is your thing, but I very much doubt it would improve the likes of Space Invaders and Pac Man much. The "gamey" games will not feel much better with it, but realistic/sim style games will benefit a lot from it.
You're right about sim stuff. Driveclub's demo has really surprised me. I couldn't care less about the normal version of the game but in VR it is something else altogether.

Finished Loading Human which is a very ordinary point and click walking sim but it comes alive in VR as does Viva Ex Vivo which was a terrible game last year.

Looking forward to playing Suoer Stardust tomorrow.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12 pm

ALK wrote:Saw one in my local CeX already, they were asking £500 for it. :shock:
DONT look on Ebuygum
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:56 pm

I picked up the psvr on Thursday and it's absolutely astonishing. It's on the level for me when I first discovered videogames, it really is a game changer.

I am concerned that it won't get the support it needs (Sony isn't the best at supporting stuff) but those concerns melt away when you put that headset on and find yourself in a real almost tangible world.

It's like the first time I watched torn and wished videogames could be like that. Now they are. Quite simply one of the most important game experiences I've ever had.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Not a VR user and I don't intend to become one anytime soon either, but from what I gather VR is god-send for simulator fans, that is for racing, flight and space sims and first-person horror games ("walking simulators") it improves immersion 100 fold, but for many other type of games it's supposedly quite gimmicky. So if you're into simulators, VR is your thing, but I very much doubt it would improve the likes of Space Invaders and Pac Man much. The "gamey" games will not feel much better with it, but realistic/sim style games will benefit a lot from it.
I don't agree with that at all. Light gun games are going to make a big come back. Robot rescue proves that platformers have the potential to be incredible, while puzzle games and rhythms action is also brilliant. Basically, devs just need to come up with the right ideas.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 am

Well, from my own point of view, I think of my fave genre survival horror...and think of the potential of RE4 or a Silent Hill in a VR environment. That is very tempting, although I'll probably need therapy for years after it :lol:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:06 am

I tried my mate's set and it needs about five years worth of good development before it's truly mindblowing. The same games we get now translated into VR are nicely gimmicky for a while but they don't quite work, just as traditional 2D games translated into 3D hardly ever work.

Right now, I wouldn't call VR a game changer, games aren't being changed much by it, but it certainly has the potential to change things if game designers can come up with new gameplay elements that really use the extra immersion. Otherwise it's just more of the same except you can turn your head to look around. The cynic in me thinks those who really hate the way modern games have become movies are going to be disappointed with VR. The next logical step will be to put the player "in" a movie. I think VR is going to be big for the Walking Simulator crowd. The movie thing is going to increase.

For now, I''ll pass.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:11 am

Total game changer like the old Virtuality was back in the 90's - good to see we've come so far from the massive headsets etc....

Im just jealous as this stuff makes me feel sick.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 pm

The Beans wrote:I tried my mate's set and it needs about five years worth of good development before it's truly mindblowing. The same games we get now translated into VR are nicely gimmicky for a while but they don't quite work, just as traditional 2D games translated into 3D hardly ever work.

Right now, I wouldn't call VR a game changer, games aren't being changed much by it, but it certainly has the potential to change things if game designers can come up with new gameplay elements that really use the extra immersion. Otherwise it's just more of the same except you can turn your head to look around. The cynic in me thinks those who really hate the way modern games have become movies are going to be disappointed with VR. The next logical step will be to put the player "in" a movie. I think VR is going to be big for the Walking Simulator crowd. The movie thing is going to increase.

For now, I''ll pass.
Not a comparison i'd make at all but whatever works for you. Personally I think it's the way I always thought that 8 bit games were as I was imaging them in my head, but there you go. I do agree that things will get better as time progresses, but it blows away anything I've experienced so far.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:I tried my mate's set and it needs about five years worth of good development before it's truly mindblowing. The same games we get now translated into VR are nicely gimmicky for a while but they don't quite work, just as traditional 2D games translated into 3D hardly ever work.

For now, I''ll pass.
Not a comparison i'd make at all but whatever works for you. Personally I think it's the way I always thought that 8 bit games were as I was imaging them in my head, but there you go. I do agree that things will get better as time progresses, but it blows away anything I've experienced so far.
It's a step up for graphics again, that's all. In a way at least. Resolution and framerate need a lot of work imo. As far as gameplay is concerned though, it's just another sideways move the same as motion controls and touch screens. The games themselves are still going to be doing the same old stuff. VR will undoubtedly catch on, the immersion it provides is very good, but at the same time I don't want to be playing 8-bit games on modern systems. Shooting the usual enemies, jumping on platforms, faffing about with tedious bosses, dumbarse AI - it just feels like we're never going to grow out of it.
When I first had a go with VR I thought it was incredible. Imagine a VR version of Skyrim! An hour later I'd realised VR Skyrim would look very pretty indeed ... but I'd still be doing those boring fetch and carry quests and missions that fill the empty player space of every open world game ever made. The game would be changed by VR and at the same time mostly it wouldn't be changed at all. The novelty was already wearing off.
Which is why I'll wait to see where it all goes.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Wow, I hope I never become that jaded. The thing is, even the same games don't feel like the same games. And games like robot rescue and blood rush are revealing just how exciting platformers and light gun games will be in VR.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Are there any WWII flight simmy type games for it yet? I like these type of games, every generation I'll give at least one a go. They're enjoyable and can be intense, but working out where the enemy is and the best attack/evasion to use is hit and miss. For as long as I can remember, I've thought VR would be the ideal for it. You can sit stationary with a joystick, scanning the skies, looking for where they are and where you can go. Once they sort us out with reasonably priced motion feedback seats it'll be very immersive.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:53 pm

^ Closest thing to that would be EVE Valkyrie which, while radically different to a WWII sim, does feature some of what you talk about. Looking all around you trying to get a bead on enemies is pretty cool.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Walking Dead or Last of Us style game and you can have my money. Id live with the incurred migraines and dizziness.