Help me play Crus'in USA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Help me play Crus'in USA

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 am

Hi,

Right I've been wanting to play this Arcade version for a while via emulation with little success. I'm either using the wrong version of MAME or I haven't got all the correct ROM files. Can anyone point me in the right direction. You can PM if you like with any links.

Also interested in Crus'in World too.

Thanks.

Sephiroth81

Re: Help me play Crus'in USA

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:11 am

MattyC64c wrote:Hi,

Right I've been wanting to play this Arcade version for a while via emulation with little success. I'm either using the wrong version of MAME or I haven't got all the correct ROM files. Can anyone point me in the right direction. You can PM if you like with any links.

Also interested in Crus'in World too.

Thanks.
Good question. I'm using the pretty reliable MAMEUIFX64 on PC, and although I can run the Cruisin' games (and showing as fully operational), it seems to get stuck on the calibration bit - i'm sure if I played around with the settings I could get past that bit. It would appear that MAME does run it though, and fairly well judging by videos of it. I may do a bit of digging around to bypass this calibration issue.

What seems to be the issue for you? Where do you get to?

Its a pity Midway, or whoever owns the rights these days, don't pump out on Xbox Live/PSN or on disc the Cruisin series. They were always quite popular, and the original arcade game was much better than the rushed N64 port.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:17 am

Ok, figured it out (calibration) on mameuifx. You just have to press F2 when it comes to that point and follow the calibration on your control pad or keyboard.

Once it was running, it seemed to run quite well and smoothly. Works on the other games in series as well. MAMEUIFX64 is quite a nice mame emulator and interface. Scans your HDD for roms, and sets them up in order. Sure, its not "coinops" in presentation like on the Xbox but it runs far more games, and especially the ones that involve 3D - a lot better, smoother and more accurate, without frameskip.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 am

Here's the issue, I used to have a working ROM set, now I don't. And the ROM set I did have doesn't work in my current MAME application.

Also, it's been ages since I tried it before, probably 2012-2013. Back then the emulation wasn't perfect, the sound would skip. The video's on YouTube I've seen of them running on MAME don't have this looping sound. Which is why I want to try them again, but I can't. :cry:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:23 am

MattyC64c wrote:Here's the issue, I used to have a working ROM set, now I don't. And the ROM set I did have doesn't work in my current MAME application.

Also, it's been ages since I tried it before, probably 2012-2013. Back then the emulation wasn't perfect, the sound would skip. The video's on YouTube I've seen of them running on MAME don't have this looping sound. Which is why I want to try them again, but I can't. :cry:
It shouldn't be too hard to find another working arcade version of Cruisin USA (or World). There are absolutely loads of rom sites out there.

So my advice would be to just find the individual rom and put it in the MAME folder and re-scan. Should work. I didn't notice any sound-skipping on it, but I only tested it briefly.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:27 am

I'll have to a have a 'fiddle' with it then. Thanks