Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

It was

PS2
33%
Xbox
25%
GameCube
22%
Dreamcast
20%

Total votes: 60

Megamixer

Re: Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Re. original Xbox short shelf-life...it was always going to be killed off fairly swiftly because MS sold the hardware at a loss to force their way into the market (which obviously worked). Continuing to do so for longer than was necessary when they saw the oppurtunity to get the jump on the PS3 with the 360 (something else that also worked) wouldn't have made business sense.
pratty wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Gamecube, look outside Nintendos own games and its barren,
Depends if you're only looking at true exclusives that can only be played on the Camecube/Wii today, and you're counting Nintendo published games as 'Nintendo games'.

Although I don't know why people often draw this line at Nintendo related games when considering their consoles libraries. Seems pointless to me, why would anybody instantly disqualify a chunk of the library because all those different games were developed or published by Nintendo? Seems silly to blanket all Nintendo games together like that and write them all off as though they're all the same and/or all tainted by Nintendo's ghastly family friendly touch. As if not liking Paper Mario because it's too childish means you couldn't possibly like Metroid Prime, you don't like the look of Luigi's Mansion so Twilight Princess probably sucks as well? You have a great exclusive like F-Zero GX actually developed by a company under nintendo's old rivals Sega, but should we overlook it because it's Nintendo's franchise?
The Gamecube was/is a top machine and a favourite of mine but I reckon it's much more suited as a companion console than a solo machine. I originally only had a 'cube and while I was having a whale of a time with the exclusives, there were so many PS2 titles that interested me so I HAD to get one. The GC doesn't have the breadth of the PS2's multiplatform titles but the PS2 doesn't have the healthy selection of Nintendo titles so owning a GC + either a PS2 or Xbox alongside it was the ideal set-up. In my opinion of course. Choosing between the PS2 and Xbox for the companion machine came down to whether your tastes were more Japanese or Western.

Personally it was GC + PS2 all the way for me but I found great appreciation for the Xbox when I finally acquired one once the gen was over and was able to play some terrific exclusives. All three have unique strengths really and it's a generation with enough variety across each machine to warrant having all three.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I think PS2 would be my favourite purely based on genre diversity, I'm still tracking down odd games to play now.

Love Halo tho.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 am

Probably a bit late to mention this but the topic is "which console was your fave". Not "is your fave because it can emulate other, better, systems".

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 am

theantmeister wrote:Probably a bit late to mention this but the topic is "which console was your fave". Not "is your fave because it can emulate other, better, systems".

I thought the same thing

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:08 am

theantmeister wrote:Probably a bit late to mention this but the topic is "which console was your fave". Not "is your fave because it can emulate other, better, systems".
Thats a fair comment. It seems that the modded ability of the Xbox (and similar to last gens Wii and the PSP) has elevated it above its own stock capability and seems to be the among the primary reasons to own one (both now, and at the time).

I've never "hacked" my PS2, but I believe the PS2, Gamecube and Dreamcast are also fairly "moddable" and have lots of decent emulators (The Gamecube scene is still active alongside the Wii homebrew one). Its fair to say though, that the OG Xbox due to being a Pentium PC had advantages in this area.

But if you use it for its pure "stock" features, then the PS2 for me has a sizeable advantage over the rest. Xbox had a bit of an edge on the majority of multi-platform games, but the PS2's sheer vast library (and yea, I include the original PS1 backward compatibility in there too, as it was a built in hardware feature authorised by Sony) makes it the deserved winner in my opinion.

I wonder if a separate poll/thread could be made about voting for the system based purely on its built in features/games library would affect the outcome of the vote. I imagine it would, at least a little bit.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:49 am

Megamixer wrote:
pratty wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Gamecube, look outside Nintendos own games and its barren,
Depends if you're only looking at true exclusives that can only be played on the Camecube/Wii today, and you're counting Nintendo published games as 'Nintendo games'.

Although I don't know why people often draw this line at Nintendo related games when considering their consoles libraries. Seems pointless to me, why would anybody instantly disqualify a chunk of the library because all those different games were developed or published by Nintendo? Seems silly to blanket all Nintendo games together like that and write them all off as though they're all the same and/or all tainted by Nintendo's ghastly family friendly touch. As if not liking Paper Mario because it's too childish means you couldn't possibly like Metroid Prime, you don't like the look of Luigi's Mansion so Twilight Princess probably sucks as well? You have a great exclusive like F-Zero GX actually developed by a company under nintendo's old rivals Sega, but should we overlook it because it's Nintendo's franchise?
The Gamecube was/is a top machine and a favourite of mine but I reckon it's much more suited as a companion console than a solo machine. I originally only had a 'cube and while I was having a whale of a time with the exclusives, there were so many PS2 titles that interested me so I HAD to get one. The GC doesn't have the breadth of the PS2's multiplatform titles but the PS2 doesn't have the healthy selection of Nintendo titles so owning a GC + either a PS2 or Xbox alongside it was the ideal set-up. In my opinion of course. Choosing between the PS2 and Xbox for the companion machine came down to whether your tastes were more Japanese or Western.

Personally it was GC + PS2 all the way for me but I found great appreciation for the Xbox when I finally acquired one once the gen was over and was able to play some terrific exclusives. All three have unique strengths really and it's a generation with enough variety across each machine to warrant having all three.
Yeah it totally depends on your tastes and priorities. I typically only buy one console each generation and for me the Cube was my console of choice because I absolutely had to play Ninty's franchise games, and REmake and RE Zero. Rogue Leader and Eternal Darkness were also strong third party exclusives (MGS: Twin Snakes too if you count that as a 'new' game), and while there were some big third party ommisions like PES and GTA, I found there were still more than enough quality multiplats to justify only owning a Cube (Timesplitters, Soul Calibur 2, 007, Beyond Good and Evil, POP, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Second Sight etc).
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:54 am

Yes. It is too late to mention that. Oh, and other better systems as you put it is opinion being stated as fact so good for you on that one, fatpants.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:06 am

gman72 wrote: Yes. It is too late to mention that. Oh, and other better systems as you put it is opinion being stated as fact so good for you on that one, fatpants.
FATPANTS! Harsh! :D

Yeah, its all opinions. I would never ever dream of saying the Wii is better than the SNES though in its own right, but the fact it can emulate the SNES as proficiently as I could hope for, means that I would rather own a Wii than a SNES if I had to take one or the other. If I could only play Wii games on a Wii, i'd get bored quite quickly. I think the Wii and Xbox are awesome because of what they can do beyond (even if its dubious and unofficial) their standard official functions. This would definitely influence my decision in a poll like this.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 am

I knew I'd get that kind of response from the Xbox fanboys and I took precautions.

These fatpants are flameproof :P

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 am

theantmeister wrote:I knew I'd get that kind of response from the Xbox fanboys and I took precautions.

so if you wrote it knowing what response you'd get is that not flaming? Anyway, sorry for being grumpy. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:24 pm

gman72 wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I knew I'd get that kind of response from the Xbox fanboys and I took precautions.

so if you wrote it knowing what response you'd get is that not flaming? Anyway, sorry for being grumpy. :wink:
I did a little, sorry.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 am

one thing I would say about that gen of consoles is that we should appreciate them a lot more, for me they were the last generation of console where you just could shove the console in a bag with a bunch of games and take it round your friends and play 4 player.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 am

This was actually quite a close run thing between the PS2, Xbox and the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast I had to overlook simply because it didn't last that long. The Xbox was all about 2 things for me... Halo 2 and Xbox Live :)

The PS2 had a fantastic collection of Triple A titles that I really enjoyed. Overall I thought the PS2 was the best machine.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:16 pm

The PS2 and Xbox era was all about broadband (which required an add on for Ps2!) online gaming taking off and Xbox live trounced the Ps2 in this area, yes the PS2 had a bigger library, but online gaming and Xbox won it for me.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 am

General Opulence wrote:The PS2 and Xbox era was all about broadband (which required an add on for Ps2!) online gaming taking off and Xbox live trounced the Ps2 in this area, yes the PS2 had a bigger library, but online gaming and Xbox won it for me.
Online gaming was FANTASTIC on Xbox. with regards to the PS2 I bought the Network Adapter back in the day and EVERY online game I played was WOEFULLY laggy!
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT