Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

It was

PS2
33%
Xbox
25%
GameCube
22%
Dreamcast
20%

Total votes: 60

shiftytigger

Re: Which 6th gen console was your fave?

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:56 am

GameCube , DC , Ps2 then Xbox.

Xbox holds little in its original library to hold my interest - emulation is only something that has developed as a bonus extra but it's not enough to compare as it's not an original reason to have bought one.

Ps2 , like Xbox and GC benefitted a little from the demise of the DC but had a strong enough library developing and by the final whistle a good strong selection of titles and collections . Enough to own one but not fanatically collect for.

DC - the dream that ended too soon. Donated plenty to the generation in the form of games ,series and Sega themselves. There are some obvious titles that everyone mentions at times like these and some titles that never saw the light of day. Never used it online myself. Don't even mind the controller. Good ratio of good to bad games and some great multiplayer and arcade ports.

GC - 4 players , nice control pads , Gameboy player , GBA Link up option , nice original library of games and ports of Sonic games and more from Dreamcast , best version of Soul Calibur 2. Zelda Ocarina of time bonus disc negating the need to own an N64 at all. PAC man vs via Gba link up .

It's all relative and personal choice either way.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 am

The dreamcast is arguably the noisiest of all 4 of the consoles....perhaps not for the fan, but that gd-rom drive is nice and vocal. So that's one more thing going for it...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am

It's a really difficult decision, but I'd have to side with the original Xbox. As much as I adore all the other systems, nothing will compete with those Halo LAN parties :D

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:51 am

the PS2 wiped the floor with the competition and with good reason too, it's by far the best machine, none of the others come close, with the dreamcast in particular being a massive epic fail.
Last edited by HalcyonDaze00 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:12 pm

I can't decide. All of them had amazing games, all had flaws.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:15 pm

PS2 for me. I think with such a vast library there is something for everyone there.

I think the Dreamcast would be my least favourite. There are only a handful of titles I like playing on it and the controller feels awful. Though despite that, the said handful of games I do like are ace and I have very fond memories playing them

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Xbox would be my no.1.

I like all the consoles of this gen, but the Xbox effectively paved the way for following generation, with integrated HDD, DLC and online play for better or worse.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:02 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:the PS2 wiped the floor with the completion and with good reason too, it's by far the best machine, none of the others come close, with the dreamcast in particular being a massive epic fail.
This. I love my Cube and Dreamcaasts, but the sheer volume, range and quality of PS2 games does mean that any other system is fighting for second place, there's no question that PS2 comes out on top.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:04 pm

I can honestly say

The range of quality in PS2 games is all over the place

Tons of budget trash, tons of full price trash and the yearly updates

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Xbox.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:16 pm

DPrinny wrote:I can honestly say

Yup, but there's tos of good stuff so you don't have to play any of that.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:25 pm

PS2 for me. It has the JRPG's, it has the fighting games, it has the mainstream hits and it has the obscure oddities. It also has a killer import catalogue, mounds of retro compilations and of course, spot-on PS1 support for 99% of games (I know MGS Special Missions doesn't work and I'm pretty sure there was something else).

Gamecube is a close second. My collection is probably only a quarter of my PS2 library but the quality of the Nintendo output and the big third party exclusives is a force to be reckoned with. No way could I be without the likes of Fire Emblem, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, Beach Spikers, Paper Mario TTYD, Mario Smash Football, Smash Bros. etc. etc. Also, theres just something about GC software that feels more...polished. I can't quite explain it but even a multiplatform game feels a tiny bit more special when played on the 'cube.

Xbox is third by default, not due to a lack of merit. I never really held a torch for it but after being given one and owning a ton of top games, I really appreciated it. The HDD and ability to rip CD's for custom soundtracks were both amazing for the time, multiplat stuff is usually superior and there are some great games such as PGR, Halo, Doom 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Black, Toejam & Earl III and so on.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:I can honestly say

Yup, but there's tos of good stuff so you don't have to play any of that.
OR DO YOU!?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 am

This one's a great poll, as it's so damn tough IMO. All of these consoles in this generation were excellent, and all had their strengths. And this is a rare gen of consoles where I did actually own all of them at one stage, and loved all of them. Dreamcast first, which I bought second hand, but almost considered that pre this gen, as I have always considered the Cube as my first purchase in this era, specifically for Resident Evil series. Next was a PS2 slim, for my wife who loves the Guitar hero/buzz games. Finally finished with the Xbox, which I bought as a second hand bundle with plenty of games.

I should say the Cube is my fave as it is the one from this gen I kept...but I think it'd actually be the Xbox :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:55 am

Good point, I think order of purchase and time/duration of exposures to the systems is a big factor here.

I got my Cube first and there was always something I was missing out on from PS2. Eventually got a PS2 (with Splinter Cell: Double Agent, showing how late that was), then a Dreamcast (well after it was commercially dead) and finally an XBox. The XBox is the one I've used least, though I have a load of games for it.