Obese people banned from routine surgery

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Obese people banned from routine surgery

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... ations-by/

fantastic news, although they will need to look at the BMI scale. generally you can usually tell if somebody is a lazy, fat mess, so a quick glance from a doctor should more than suffice.

RetroAerosmith

Re: Obese people banned from routine surgery

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:25 am

Im happy with this and any other self inflicted injuries...we live close to a neighbour that has had warning aftet warning for ringing ambulances without need for them. He rings and makes out he is going to kill himself, he causes an ambulance to be taken out of the system to take him to hospital wherby he shouts and screams at all the nurses.
I also know a morbidly obese woman who basically brags the amount of tablets she takes daily and huffs and puffs as she sorts them into those little daily pill boxes. There MUST be one or two for diabetes and definetly one for blood pressure, we get free prescriptions in wales, luckily for her.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 am

Totally wrong and a dangerous policy.

This is rationing healthcare and a glimpse of what will happen under a privatised NHS.
Expensive treatments and difficult conditions will be refused.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:26 pm

It's a headline grabber, probably something that 's been suggested and then blown out of all proportion by the media.

No chance this will happen
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:42 pm

merman wrote:Totally wrong and a dangerous policy.

This is rationing healthcare and a glimpse of what will happen under a privatised NHS.
+1

I can see the need to do something about attention seekers and time-wasters, but where's it going to end? No treatment unless you fit the Aryan template?
Thoughts and prayers.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:27 pm

i've had a bmi of 30 when my sister died, i'm currently at 28.5, i have been as low as 15.

I see the reverse of the problem i saw back then, it was difficult to get clothes as everything drowned me, now there would be clothes too small for me if i was that size again. also clothes that should drown people a lot bigger than me are small on me :shock:

i remember being really happy i had put weight on, my bmi was up to 17, i was told that i looked ill and needed to put weight on. i'm going to try and lose weight again, i'll always look bloated due to the nature of having ibs and being on anti reflux meds. these days i dread going to the docs because of my weight even though most that meet me would say i am not a big guy.

not going to do anything fad, hate fad diets, i go to slimming world but i'm allergic to a load of the recipes. just going to be sensible and hope to go to events next year a bit smaller than i will be at playexpo

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:19 pm

This is nothing new. Back when I had surgery (anyone remember the photos I posted?!) I was initially refused surgery until I lost 2st - and I did. It isn't as safe to do surgery on unhealthy fat people.
Nothing to do with the non-existent privatisation of the NHS - just a warning to those obese people that they need to think about their health before it is too late.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 pm

markopoloman wrote:This is nothing new. Back when I had surgery (anyone remember the photos I posted?!) I was initially refused surgery until I lost 2st - and I did. It isn't as safe to do surgery on unhealthy fat people.
Nothing to do with the non-existent privatisation of the NHS - just a warning to those obese people that they need to think about their health before it is too late.
It's certainly nothing new to wait until a patient has lost weight if the surgery is dangerous, but that's currently judged by the doctors on a case-by-case basis along with other risk factors; it's not a blanket ban like what's being proposed here. This also seems to be budget driven too, which doesn't seem the best means of determining healthcare outcomes.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:20 am

merman wrote:Totally wrong and a dangerous policy.

nonsense, it's about time there was a crackdown on the lard arse wastrels and layabouts who infest our hospitals. no reasons other than sheer greed and laziness why most of these people let themselves get so big. a withdrawal of treatment may just be the short sharp shock they need to stop filling their mouths with food at every opportunity.

and if people (including the "poverty stricken") can always find money for drink, cigs, I phones, cakes, etc, then why can't they find money for health insurance? we should definitely look into some kind of privatised NHS.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:12 am

The NHS is effectively a collective health insurance policy, the problem is contributions to and benefits from are uneven. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask those that contribute the least and receive the most treatment to make adjustments to their lifestyle if they are directly the causing their ailments through poor health choices. If you're paying into the NHS then do whatever you want, but if you're not contributing then I think you can only expect other people to subsidise your healthcare so far.

On the subject of private healthcare, recently some lefty friends of mine were telling me that private healthcare should be banned, citing the creation of a "two tier health system" being elitist and discriminating against the poor, that it was immoral for a person to be able to pay for superior healthcare while another person couldn't. Basically they wanted everyone to have the same access to the same level of healthcare even if it meant lowering the overall standard of healthcare available. :shock: I pointed out that private health care took a burden off the NHS, they countered with private healthcare taking the best doctors and nurses away from the NHS, I replied that expertise isn't the problem with the NHS, it's resources. I asked how much should a doctor be paid if it's immoral to seek the market rate for their services, and they just came up with an arbitrary figure of around £30,00 a year, because "nobody needs more than that to live on" etc. I suggested that would discourage people taking up medicine as their was little reward for the risk and responsibility of being a doctor, and time and money it takes to train to be one, how then do you get the doctors you need if you don't offer an incentive? They really had no answer or argument, they really hadn't thought it through, it was basically just a reactionary rant of "We want equality... but make the rich pay more so we don't have to."
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:13 am

Meh, this whole flame-bait thread is nothing but a reminder of why this place sucks now.
Thoughts and prayers.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:57 am

rossi46 wrote:Meh, this whole flame-bait thread is nothing but a reminder of why this place sucks now.
:lol: :lol: Yup. Its becoming like Breitbart News London in the off topic threads.

Although to me, most of it reads as : "This post was made by HalcyonDaze00 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post."

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:40 am

markopoloman wrote:This is nothing new. Back when I had surgery (anyone remember the photos I posted?!) I was initially refused surgery until I lost 2st - and I did. It isn't as safe to do surgery on unhealthy fat people.

Yeah, it isn't new. Before my late gandmother died, she was refused an operation on her neck because she was overweight(she did have diabetes and the insulin doesn't help with your weight).

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:44 am

pratty wrote:how much should a doctor be paid if it's immoral to seek the market rate for their services
The problem with the "market rate" is that it's directly dependent on whether it's a private or a public market. In a public market, you have a ton of private companies vying for government contracts which gives the government more negotiating power. In a private arena, it's big business vs the individual and if the individual needs treatment he's in no position to negotiate.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:26 am

pratty wrote:The NHS is effectively a collective health insurance policy, the problem is contributions to and benefits from are uneven. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask those that contribute the least and receive the most treatment to make adjustments to their lifestyle if they are directly the causing their ailments through poor health choices. If you're paying into the NHS then do whatever you want, but if you're not contributing then I think you can only expect other people to subsidise your healthcare so far.

On the subject of private healthcare, recently some lefty friends of mine were telling me that private healthcare should be banned, citing the creation of a "two tier health system" being elitist and discriminating against the poor, that it was immoral for a person to be able to pay for superior healthcare while another person couldn't. Basically they wanted everyone to have the same access to the same level of healthcare even if it meant lowering the overall standard of healthcare available. :shock: I pointed out that private health care took a burden off the NHS, they countered with private healthcare taking the best doctors and nurses away from the NHS, I replied that expertise isn't the problem with the NHS, it's resources. I asked how much should a doctor be paid if it's immoral to seek the market rate for their services, and they just came up with an arbitrary figure of around £30,00 a year, because "nobody needs more than that to live on" etc. I suggested that would discourage people taking up medicine as their was little reward for the risk and responsibility of being a doctor, and time and money it takes to train to be one, how then do you get the doctors you need if you don't offer an incentive? They really had no answer or argument, they really hadn't thought it through, it was basically just a reactionary rant of "We want equality... but make the rich pay more so we don't have to."
i worked in medical insurance.........

if a consultant wants to leave the nhs its their choice, they are all self employed if they do. there is not one reason why they all do.

private medical is in itself designed to supplement the nhs, not replace it. ambulances won't take you to a private a and e because they rarely exist.