Console Wars Memories

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Console Wars Memories

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:36 am

Hey everyone, we're looking at doing an article on the console rivalry between Nintendo and Sega.
What are your memories of it?

Antiriad2097

Re: Console Wars Memories

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:09 am

Playing on my Spectrum, C64, Atari ST and Playstation ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 am

Let's see... the NES came along and everyone bought that. Then the Mega Drive came long and everyone bought that. Then the PlayStation came along and, well, you get the idea.

We didn't have a lot of options in South Africa. If you wanted a SNES, you imported one. Which seriously dented its market penetration.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Hey everyone, we're looking at doing an article on the console rivalry between Nintendo and Sega.
What are your memories of it?
Mainly how stupid and ignorant I was. I grew up with the Mega Drive and the Game Gear and formed an unwavering bias in favour of them because they were the systems I had and the Nintendo consoles were unavailable to me.

These days, with access to all Sega and Nintendo systems, I enjoy them all.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 am

I remember that me and my mates had a pretty good spread of consoles between us and we'd spend weekends at each others' houses often bringing consoles (and occasionally a spare portable telly) with to play whatever we fancied. We all had our faves and there were many friendly arguments, but on the whole we realised that a good game is a good game no matter the format. We'd end up swapping consoles with each other for the week to try the different games out too, but it was always nice to get your own one back (until you'd found that your savegame had been wiped!). Generally the Sega guys stuck with Sega, the Nintendo guys suck with Nintendo, the Commodore guys stuck with Commodore/Amiga and then Sony came along and threw a massive spanner in the works! I don't think anyone was particularly suckered in by the marketing hype around things like the Mega CD, the CDI or the Jaguar - there was a really good shop that had a load of demo consoles that taught us pretty quick that superior graphics and sound don't make a game. It was good to have the variance within the group and it certainly gave me an appreciation for the various formats, even if I did stick with Nintendo (apart from a 2nd hand SMS my dad's mate gave me) until the PS1 came along. Good times!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:36 am

Had a Japanese Megadrive to play all the latest games in 60Hz through my Amstrad CPC monitor - I was a real Sega fanboy! I couldn't get enough of the shoot 'em ups (Thunderforce III, Zero Wing), arcade ports (Strider, Golden Axe) and course the lure of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Then one day I turned because my friend had a SNES and we played Super Mario World and Mario Kart extensively one summer. So I decided to sell all my Sega stuff for the SNES Starwing pack! Also paid £65 for Street Fighter 2 Turbo - utter madness but I loved it.

Thankfully I have both systems again now, with all the games I ever wanted.

The end.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 am

There wasnt one, everybody I knew was Sega, appart from that one guy

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 am

There was no "console war" going on between Sega and Nintendo outside of the US, imho. Sega wasn't nearly as aggressive with marketing elsewhere as they were in North America. Some kid had Nintendo, the others had Sega, some Amigas and PCs, many had Game Boys and Famiclones and there was the odd Atari kid here and there, we were playing them all and swapping/lending games. Perhaps the only such instance was the PC guys bragging how they had the best and cheapest games, which they had (for example Mortal Kombat on PC was almost "Arcade-perfect"; a good 486 PC with CD-ROM would set you back for what would today be 3000 Euros though). I will say Sega was the more popular choice than Nintendo though, mostly because it costed less (both, hardware and games) and more people had it meaning easier game swapping/lending (with "Nintendo" I mean the SNES, the Game Boy and Famiclones were popular).

What followed was mostly a PC gaming & PlayStation transition, not many upgraded to the next machines from Sega and Nintendo. Sega was basically dead at the time of Saturn (no shop presence, mostly because the Saturn was seen as a "crappier PlayStation" and costed a lot) and the N64 was seen as "too kiddy" and had too expensive games. Easy piracy on the PC and PlayStation deff. helped push those systems, but since they had the most games and, arguably, ran games the best (the PS had low-res pixely graphics but the CD-ROM advantage and was cheap and the PC had top graphics if you added a good 3D accelerator to it), it was deff. all about PC and PlayStation from here on and it's still much like this today (although the Xbox 360 managed to get some presence too).

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 pm

How much more important I felt belonging to the Megadrive master race!

Though i was jealous of some SNES games overall the Megadrive had it for me.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

RetroMartin wrote:How much more important I felt belonging to the Megadrive master race!

Though i was jealous of some SNES games overall the Megadrive had it for me.
Mega Drive was for "console kiddies", the big boys had Amigas and PCs... :P

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Yeah, there was no console war round my way. Most people had some sort of games system and people were happy to play whatever their mates had.
I remember more rivalry around the Speccy, Commodore and Amstrad but even that was pretty friendly.

May not make for the best article though!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 pm

The arguments on Digitiser by dudes like Dantendo etc.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm

JamesC wrote:Yeah, there was no console war round my way. Most people had some sort of games system and people were happy to play whatever their mates had.
Same.
I don't think there was one between Sega and Nintendo.
I'm sure the article will paint a very different picture though.

[edit] I owned both BTW.
Last edited by stvd on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 pm

There wasn't one around my mates, we all had Nintendo once we moved off the home computers. Aside from one of my flat mates at uni, he had a Neo Geo :twisted: :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:53 pm

I had and loved both. The MD was a Christmas present, but when the snes came out and I saw super tennis, SMW and LttP in action I simply had to have one. My MD was too good to get rid of, so I worked my summer hols and saved for a Snes myself.

I had the best of both worlds.

Eat your nans pants