Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sureshot

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Sureshot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Just finished Electronic Dreams: How 1980s Britain Learned to Love the Computer. Well worth it for the nostalgia trip!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:37 pm

Finished off Finders Keepers yesterday - not as good as the first part of the 'Hodges' trilogy (Mr Mercedes) in my opinion but it really comes alive in the second half of the book and from there on, it's right up there with Mr Mercedes. Looking forward to starting on End of Watch next :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Megamixer wrote:Finished off Finders Keepers yesterday - not as good as the first part of the 'Hodges' trilogy (Mr Mercedes) in my opinion but it really comes alive in the second half of the book and from there on, it's right up there with Mr Mercedes. Looking forward to starting on End of Watch next :)

Post your impressions on the 3rd, I finished it a couple of months ago and I posted mine a few pages back.

Recently I've finished Tarkin and Battelfront from the new Star Wars canon and Yes Man which is 10 times better than the film.

I've started Brave New world by Aldous Huxley but I'm finding it hard going...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm

How was Tarkin? I don't read much EU but this one is interesting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:13 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Finished off Finders Keepers yesterday - not as good as the first part of the 'Hodges' trilogy (Mr Mercedes) in my opinion but it really comes alive in the second half of the book and from there on, it's right up there with Mr Mercedes. Looking forward to starting on End of Watch next :)

Post your impressions on the 3rd, I finished it a couple of months ago and I posted mine a few pages back.

Recently I've finished Tarkin and Battelfront from the new Star Wars canon and Yes Man which is 10 times better than the film.

Is that the new Canon started by the Force awakens.

TBH I am still in an almighty huff that they threw away all the superb story arcs and characters from the original expanded universe. ( which is now called legends )

All tose great Rogue Squadron novels and characters such as Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Heard a rumour that Thrawn may be introduced into the expanded universe so that may get me a little more interested.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:30 pm

recently finished

Revival (Stephen King), it's very good

The Watchers (Neil Spring), not bad

currently reading

The Killing Lessons (Saul Black), brilliantly brutal so far

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:55 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:

Is that the new Canon started by the Force awakens.

TBH I am still in an almighty huff that they threw away all the superb story arcs and characters from the original expanded universe. ( which is now called legends )

All tose great Rogue Squadron novels and characters such as Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Heard a rumour that Thrawn may be introduced into the expanded universe so that may get me a little more interested.
Grand Admiral Thrawn is canon now as he's the main bad guy in Star Rebels season 3.. The Dark Troopers also make an appearance in the trailer.. I believe Dark Plagious, Darth Revan and the DARTH Bane trilogy of books have also been confirmed as canon by Disney..

You should read Tarkin and Dark Lords of the Sith as both are great.. Admiral Screed from the Droid cartoon makes an appearance in Tarkin...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Doing my second read trough of Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. Amazing.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Star Wars
Yeah new canon, I'd read a couple of the old universe books but there were just too many to catch up on, so when they wiped it I decided to get in on the ground floor as such.I don't think those books have been made canon but the some of characters are due to make an appearance in some of the new books as the author is writing new material. See below.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thrawn_(novel)

I'm not going to bother with the Junior novels or young reader stuff but all the new novels will definitely be read :)

I'd definitely recommend Dark Disciple and Aftermath as 2 of my favourites so far, followed by Lords of the Sith and Tarkin. I've got all the books currently released but I'm taking a short break from them so I don't burn out from too much Star Wars.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:52 am

gman72 wrote:Doing my second read trough of Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. Amazing.
Just reading through these myself for the 1st time after having it recommended, great series so far, currently on the fourth instalment.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:31 am

firebreather wrote:
gman72 wrote:Doing my second read trough of Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. Amazing.
Just reading through these myself for the 1st time after having it recommended, great series so far, currently on the fourth instalment.
I'm near the end of the 6th.
Don't forget The Wind Through The Keyhole which came out after the main series which I think is set after the 4th book. Sai King says its best to read it at the end though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Post by dste » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:40 pm

35 pages in to Gone Girl.

Not really feeling the hype at the moment.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:03 am

gman72 wrote:
firebreather wrote:
I'm near the end of the 6th.
Don't forget The Wind Through The Keyhole which came out after the main series which I think is set after the 4th book. Sai King says its best to read it at the end though.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it existed, will hunt it down at some point.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:13 pm

just read elite:dockinbg is difficult and dr who:more short trips
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Finished Gone Girl.

Meh. Started of pants got intriguing and then just went nuts and petered out. I have the film to watch and will most likely watch it one day but it's slipped down the list.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!