Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rocky1980

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:51 pm

Dr Kong is just under 18 mins long, it was good to watch just after he got the record now I would not bother with it. Growing The 8 Bit Generation is worth a watch also the New From Bedrooms the Amiga years. The Supergamers (the BBC one) is ok you can get it on YT. I still need to watch Man V Snake. I keep meaning to write a list but keep forgetting

I am looking forward to the following

Viva Amiga (V soon I hope)
The Power of Glove: A Power Glove Documentary (already years late, however should be soon)

Within the next 6 mths - 3 years
Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict
Insert Coin: Inside Midways 90's revolution
Box Art - A Gaming Documentary
Easy to Learn, Hard to Master - The Fate of Atari
FROM BEDROOMS TO BILLIONS: THE PLAYSTATION REVOLUTION
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:58 am

Has anyone seen "The King of Arcades" at all? Sounds good by all accounts, but isn't cheap so if I get it on DVD want to make sure it's decent. Been out a while now

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:19 am

Has anyone seen "The King of Arcades" at all? Sounds good by all accounts, but isn't cheap so if I get it on DVD want to make sure it's decent. Been out a while now

Its good, but I would not brother with the DVD. Get it through GOG

https://www.gog.com/movie/the_king_of_arcades - $5:99 - so about £4:50 thats were I have it through.
Rocky

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:42 am

rocky1980 wrote:

Its good, but I would not brother with the DVD. Get it through GOG

https://www.gog.com/movie/the_king_of_arcades - $5:99 - so about £4:50 thats were I have it through.
Cheers! :D

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:04 am

Dave300 wrote:This episode of Commercial Breaks is fascinating - about Imagine and Ocean, and the development of Bandersnatch which I believe we know as Brattacas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9BsZCifgU
I was really excited to see these show but unfortunately that evening was run down by a very remorseful lady on the way home from school! Fast forward many years to a retro games event in Croydon and i found a dvd of it and finally got to watch it about 25 years later! Well worth the wait :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Finally got to watch Man vs Snake and it's great do recommend everybody to watch it.. Still looking forward to the Dragons Lair if it ever does get released..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Finally got to watch Man vs Snake. Its really good, well worth a watch. For once it paints everyone in a postive light and shows how playing games can lead to better things in real life.

Viva Amiga have been posting there Facebook group
Hey guys. Since, the Viva Amiga release is finally happening, I think it's time to start hyping and thanking the great people that made it happen. You all are getting mad credit.
Benjamin Warfield made some killer tracks for my movie. He is seriously talented and he is working on the official Viva Amiga soundtrack to coincide with the release. Check out his stuff, it's awesome
Stay tuned. Giving firm dates shortly.

That was a week ago and nothing else has been posted. Some people on the the kickstarter page are really pissed as they have not had an update since April 2016.....
Rocky

Image Image

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:42 am

rocky1980 wrote: Viva Amiga have been posting there Facebook group
Hey guys. Since, the Viva Amiga release is finally happening, I think it's time to start hyping and thanking the great people that made it happen. You all are getting mad credit.
Benjamin Warfield made some killer tracks for my movie. He is seriously talented and he is working on the official Viva Amiga soundtrack to coincide with the release. Check out his stuff, it's awesome
Stay tuned. Giving firm dates shortly.

That was a week ago and nothing else has been posted. Some people on the the kickstarter page are really pissed as they have not had an update since April 2016.....
Yes, I'm one of the backers of this and this is a case of "He can do it because he can" scenario. Delays and more delays and promised dates and release dates, a load of sh!te considering I've worked on film production, Gracious Films have released 2 2.5hrs long documentaries (from Bedroom to billions", "Amiga Years" and now a third one on the Playstation, plus a special edition release extended on the "Amiga Years" film. Secondly taking the p!ss out of backer by showcasing the entire film to an audience of non-backer and amiga communities that were lucky enough to be able to attend the "Amiga 30th Anniversary" Event in the America or was it Germany? regardless of promotional intentions, this was a very bad thing to do to the backers of the film, I'm not even interested or even looking forward to this film nay on 5 years coming and rubbishy excuses of legalities holding the film back. I can say this, that I will never back anything this guy does in the future, he's half-assed this fundraiser and delivery of a film, I've already pretty much-experienced thanks to the "Amiga Years" is less than half the time waiting for this, I claim this film to be the "Duke Nuk'em Forever" of video games documentaries, set out to be an amazing film and turned out to be mediocre run of the "I've seen it all before" documentary film.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Yes, I'm one of the backers of this and this is a case of "He can do it because he can" scenario. Delays and more delays and promised dates and release dates, a load of sh!te considering I've worked on film production, Gracious Films have released 2 2.5hrs long documentaries (from Bedroom to billions", "Amiga Years" and now a third one on the Playstation, plus a special edition release extended on the "Amiga Years" film. Secondly taking the p!ss out of backer by showcasing the entire film to an audience of non-backer and amiga communities that were lucky enough to be able to attend the "Amiga 30th Anniversary" Event in the America or was it Germany? regardless of promotional intentions, this was a very bad thing to do to the backers of the film, I'm not even interested or even looking forward to this film nay on 5 years coming and rubbishy excuses of legalities holding the film back. I can say this, that I will never back anything this guy does in the future, he's half-assed this fundraiser and delivery of a film, I've already pretty much-experienced thanks to the "Amiga Years" is less than half the time waiting for this, I claim this film to be the "Duke Nuk'em Forever" of video games documentaries, set out to be an amazing film and turned out to be mediocre run of the "I've seen it all before" documentary film.
I would say its turing into a joke, however I think well are long past this now. If the film is done whats the issue ? On the retro hour podcast Zack stated he was sorry that the kick starter backers have not yet seen the film is due to bit torrent. They really did go easy on him during the interview. He stated the release date was in '5 weeks' that was in April...........
Rocky

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:43 am

Still waiting on the DVD release of World 1:1. It's a terrific movie, but I struggle to understand how it takes SO long for some of these things to get sorted and distributed. I see a few who were kickstarter backers starting to get a bit cranky about it now, and fair enough. It seems it's had a fair theatre run now, and questions were being asked about the kickstarters getting their DVDs in Feb/March. Not quite as mammoth a wait as Bedrooms to Billions...but how can these distributors take so long to get the discs sorted- as that is what the makers of the movie are saying the hold up is? :?

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 am

That's an easy question to answer... it's because it's bullsh!t ... when taking on a project to of this nature, producers or kickstarter creators go off and do their research etc. They source out their interviewees , script it, story board, get quotes for film equipment and finally a dupication firm to handle physical released material aka your DVD's and your Blurays etc. So before they post up the kickstarter they've manged to get all of this in place right? Well you'd think that wouldn't you? This is either a case of them not doing that or they've put the production on the back burner as long as possible, because this the last thing they have actually paid for to be done and with the film or films out for sometime, I'd say it's a case "ahh, crap, we've to spend this amount now to get these to the people now..darn it" as either the money availible at the time has now dwindled and forcing them to borrow the extra to see it through and you are waiting or they are having issues, so take your pick here, it's either of them and not some cranked up story of rocking roll loving aliens being involved here, it's bullsh!t play and simple keep them on the long finger.

And here's the strange thing..I actually produced a DVD and Blurays cover design to them, to which they were to get back in contact about it at the near physical release date, that was over a year ago.lol,..yep it's a case of back yard shed mentally here. Why am I not surprised?
↓↓Click Link to See More

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:27 am

Greyfox wrote:That's an easy question to answer... it's because it's bullsh!t ... when taking on a project to of this nature, producers or kickstarter creators go off and do their research etc. They source out their interviewees , script it, story board, get quotes for film equipment and finally a dupication firm to handle physical released material aka your DVD's and your Blurays etc. So before they post up the kickstarter they've manged to get all of this in place right? Well you'd think that wouldn't you? This is either a case of them not doing that or they've put the production on the back burner as long as possible, because this the last thing they have actually paid for to be done and with the film or films out for sometime, I'd say it's a case "ahh, crap, we've to spend this amount now to get these to the people now..darn it" as either the money availible at the time has now dwindled and forcing them to borrow the extra to see it through and you are waiting or they are having issues, so take your pick here, it's either of them and not some cranked up story of rocking roll loving aliens being involved here, it's bullsh!t play and simple keep them on the long finger.

And here's the strange thing..I actually produced a DVD and Blurays cover design to them, to which they were to get back in contact about it at the near physical release date, that was over a year ago.lol,..yep it's a case of back yard shed mentally here. Why am I not surprised?

I can't argue with that. TBH I think twice when supporting kickstarter type things now. They have to be something I'm really passionate about, or I really like the person and want to support them. I've been involved in a few now, and 100% of them have gone over schedule and been delayed. A couple by years, and in cases readily available to purchase on Amazon for several months before you received yours. A little extra time can be forgiven- things can happen of course- But a year and beyond...?! -AND an edited add on- In my opinion, for kickstarter backers to not get their product first, and to have to wait a few months over others have just popped onto Amazon or the like and just bought them, is not on. That is pretty unfair and a kick in the guts to those that have supported and funded your project in the first place. Perhaps why it's called kickstarter :wink:

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 am

Dont worry everyone Viva Amiga is
gearing up for the release.
:roll:
Rocky

Image Image

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:05 am

kiwimike wrote:
Greyfox wrote:That's an easy question to answer... it's because it's bullsh!t ... when taking on a project to of this nature, producers or kickstarter creators go off and do their research etc. They source out their interviewees , script it, story board, get quotes for film equipment and finally a dupication firm to handle physical released material aka your DVD's and your Blurays etc. So before they post up the kickstarter they've manged to get all of this in place right? Well you'd think that wouldn't you? This is either a case of them not doing that or they've put the production on the back burner as long as possible, because this the last thing they have actually paid for to be done and with the film or films out for sometime, I'd say it's a case "ahh, crap, we've to spend this amount now to get these to the people now..darn it" as either the money availible at the time has now dwindled and forcing them to borrow the extra to see it through and you are waiting or they are having issues, so take your pick here, it's either of them and not some cranked up story of rocking roll loving aliens being involved here, it's bullsh!t play and simple keep them on the long finger.

I can't argue with that. TBH I think twice when supporting kickstarter type things now. They have to be something I'm really passionate about, or I really like the person and want to support them. I've been involved in a few now, and 100% of them have gone over schedule and been delayed. A couple by years, and in cases readily available to purchase on Amazon for several months before you received yours. A little extra time can be forgiven- things can happen of course- But a year and beyond...?! -AND an edited add on- In my opinion, for kickstarter backers to not get their product first, and to have to wait a few months over others have just popped onto Amazon or the like and just bought them, is not on. That is pretty unfair and a kick in the guts to those that have supported and funded your project in the first place. Perhaps why it's called kickstarter :wink:
Just had a look out of interest on their FB and Kickstarter pages...man I tell you what, they have some seriously patient backers. The occasional question asked about where their DVD is, but nothing back except rhetoric. It's now October 1st, and the same BS is being spouted about waiting for their Distributor to get back to them. FFS

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:13 am

For those interested, the latest trailer for a film that has many trailers thanks to its boss Filmbuff is why I know why the film has taken forever, they were simply making a film distribution deal with Film buff with possible handling of the perks and physical releases and sorting out some sort of legalities with Cloato for whatever reasons, in fairness to this trailer I have to say I'm intrigued to watch this now, as the trailer reveals some interesting content. But as I've said before its way too little to late in my opinion, I personally think they've killed any real success this film should have been given and should have been released years ago, Gracious Films swang it home with the Amiga Years and no due in Special edition features due either the end of the month or next month some 6 month after the release of their film and Viva Amiga still hasn't even being given a fu*king release date lol..

Enjoy the trailer folks, it's a taste of things to come....when it comes...... :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szikhz_ ... e=youtu.be
↓↓Click Link to See More