Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:43 am

The last two Discworld novels. Raising Steam was a bit disappointing, dragging somewhat and seeming repetitive and obvious. The Shepherd's Crown was much better, more in his usual writing style with a little more wit to it. All of the Aching books have been good reads though where the Von Lipwig ones and their focus on business never quite gel with me, so perhaps it's just me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm

I've tapped into a new vein of nostalgia. Forget retro gaming, retro reading is where it's at. :D

I recently had a re-read of the early Stainless Steel Rat books. They were books I read when I was a youngster and it was great going back to them decades later. They seemed a lot shorter than when I first read them though!

I enjoyed the experience so much I've tracked down, unearthed and generally scrounged a handful of books I remember enjoying from around that time in my life. The only criteria I set myself was they had to be books I'd only read once. My vague memories of one of them had me contacting an ex-girlfriend from the ancient days of yore and she actually worked out what it was and then loaned me the actual copy I'd originally read! :shock:
That's pretty frickin' awesome retro right there.

The books are these:

The Practice Effect by David Brin
Master Of The Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy
With A Single Spell by Lawrence Watt-Evans
The Many Coloured Land by Julian May
Footfall by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

When I've read these I'm going to track down some spy & adventure type stuff. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Just finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King and what a great read it was. I've bought all of his books since and not gotten around to reading them yet so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Finders Keepers and End of Watch are part of the so called 'Hodges trilogy'. Really looking forward to plowing straight into those next.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:Just finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King and what a great read it was. I've bought all of his books since and not gotten around to reading them yet so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Finders Keepers and End of Watch are part of the so called 'Hodges trilogy'. Really looking forward to plowing straight into those next.
I enjoyed it too, not read the sequels yet

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Megamixer wrote:Just finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King and what a great read it was. I've bought all of his books since and not gotten around to reading them yet so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Finders Keepers and End of Watch are part of the so called 'Hodges trilogy'. Really looking forward to plowing straight into those next.
I started to read Mr Mercedes just past the serial killer dressed up as Krusty/Pennywise killing all those people queuing for food.. Couldn't get into so gave it to one of the women in work as IT is her favourite book.. She said it doesn't take place in Maine or the Stephen King universe and it was a cat and mouse with the Clown killing random people and the detective trying to stop him..

Is it horror/Supernatural as Kings last 2 books JFK and the other with the murdered ghost girl weren't.. I know if I'm reading it expecting it to be like his earlier horror books I'll end up disappointed.. I assume the Killer Clown is the Mr Mercedes of the title just dressed up to look like Krusty.. As one of the witnesses describes the Killer as looking like that Clown of it..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Shinobi wrote:
I started to read Mr Mercedes just past the serial killer dressed up as Krusty/Pennywise killing all those people queuing for food.. Couldn't get into so gave it to one of the women in work as IT is her favourite book.. She said it doesn't take place in Maine or the Stephen King universe and it was a cat and mouse with the Clown killing random people and the detective trying to stop him..

Is it horror/Supernatural as Kings last 2 books JFK and the other with the murdered ghost girl weren't.. I know if I'm reading it expecting it to be like his earlier horror books I'll end up disappointed.. I assume the Killer Clown is the Mr Mercedes of the title just dressed up to look like Krusty.. As one of the witnesses describes the Killer as looking like that Clown of it..
It's not exactly set in the same universe as far as I can tell because at one point, a character references the movie version of IT. I don't think a lot of the recent books have been set in the same universe but then again, the older ones weren't meant to be directly linked together anyway. I think anything that happened in Castle Rock and slightly crossed over into other books would have been intentional from the start anyway. For what it's worth, Castle Rock and one of the police officers from Needful Things appear in a couple of the stories in the recent Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story compilation.

The killer in Mr Mercedes isn't a clown per se; he just uses a clown mask to disguise himself for his attack then dumps it straight after. I really enjoyed the book. It has a bit of a detective and cat/mouse feel to it but I also really liked the characters too and cared about what happened to them (there is a bit of a sad bit later on).

I got rid of around 50% of my complete Stephen King collection a few years back due to space issues but I kept all of my faves. Thinking of re-reading either Christine, Needful Things or Salem's Lot once I've finished my small backlog of his newer books.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 am

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

It's not exactly set in the same universe as far as I can tell because at one point, a character references the movie version of IT. I don't think a lot of the recent books have been set in the same universe but then again, the older ones weren't meant to be directly linked together anyway. I think anything that happened in Castle Rock and slightly crossed over into other books would have been intentional from the start anyway. For what it's worth, Castle Rock and one of the police officers from Needful Things appear in a couple of the stories in the recent Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story compilation.

The killer in Mr Mercedes isn't a clown per se; he just uses a clown mask to disguise himself for his attack then dumps it straight after. I really enjoyed the book. It has a bit of a detective and cat/mouse feel to it but I also really liked the characters too and cared about what happened to them (there is a bit of a sad bit later on).

I got rid of around 50% of my complete Stephen King collection a few years back due to space issues but I kept all of my faves. Thinking of re-reading either Christine, Needful Things or Salem's Lot once I've finished my small backlog of his newer books.
That's a shame I'm a big fan of Stephen Kings supernatural stuff but found his non horror books boring such as the ghost girl who was murdered in the funfair and haunting the Funfair.. Forget the name but ghost girl was hardly mentioned more so the romance with the kid and the older woman..

Salems Lot, Needful Things and Desperation or 3 of my fav books and just been watching the uncut Needfull Things
'Max von Sydow' is brilliant as Mr Gaunt and all the dream sequences and Mr Gaunt turning up at the kids house in his hearse(all the flowers die when Gaunt walks past them like in the book) are all present and correct sadly these where cut from the dvd release ruining the film as they where important..

Not read Christine was that the story with the cat that turns into a cat woman at night and kills people or am I mixing it up with something else? Also have you read from a Buick 8 tried to read this several times but can't get into it.. People disapear when working on car alone and Monsters come out off car boot and promptly die as they can't breath our air..

Will look out for his new book as his shirt story's are great

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:59 am

Shinobi wrote: Not read Christine was that the story with the cat that turns into a cat woman at night and kills people or am I mixing it up with something else?
Christine is about a classic car with a mind of its own. One of the best IMO and it's also been made into a film by John Carpenter. Absolute must read and must watch.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:05 pm

English Invader wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Not read Christine was that the story with the cat that turns into a cat woman at night and kills people or am I mixing it up with something else?
Christine is about a classic car with a mind of its own. One of the best IMO and it's also been made into a film by John Carpenter. Absolute must read and must watch.
Thanks dude Big fan off Carpenters stuff with The Fog and They Live being 2 of my favourites.. I like all Carpenters stuff except the thing and Blob I think..

I'm going to hunt out the book and film of Christine typically I went to Healthy Planet earlier they had about 20 Stephen King books original prints including a few I'v not heard off but no Christine.. Ended up getting Carrie bloodied woman face cover and Nightmare and Dreamscapes as I watched the Night flier the other week and that was one of the short stories..

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:The last two Discworld novels. Raising Steam was a bit disappointing, dragging somewhat and seeming repetitive and obvious. The Shepherd's Crown was much better, more in his usual writing style with a little more wit to it. All of the Aching books have been good reads though where the Von Lipwig ones and their focus on business never quite gel with me, so perhaps it's just me.

I love Discworld. I am one of those that don't understand the fuss when celebrities die and even musicians and film stars that I like I tend not to get upset about.

However I was genuinely gutted when Pratchett Died.

Always go back to them whenever I can.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Shinobi wrote:Also have you read from a Buick 8 tried to read this several times but can't get into it.. People disapear when working on car alone and Monsters come out off car boot and promptly die as they can't breath our air..
Yeah I've read that one - it's really good and a bit underrated (don't often see it mentioned).

Also, if you do get the Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story collection, there is a story in there about a killer car. Like Christine, it works so well because there is no explanation for what the car is or where it came from. It just kills people because it's there and because it wants to.

Christine is absolutely awesome though and a must-read if you like King's classic supernatural books.

Since you like Desperation (another of my faves too), I'd recommend The Regulators. It comes under Stephen King's other author name of 'Richard Bachman' and features the same town, characters and basic plot as Desperation but it all unfolds quite differently. A bit strange all told but a must if you enjoyed Desperation.

I've read pretty much every book aside from a couple under his Richard Bachman pseudonym and a few of the latest which are in my backlog so if you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask, Steve :)

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis.

His autobiography from 2004, it's an interesting read.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Mrs Carlos read that....she hasn't been able to listen to the Chili Peppers since!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Also have you read from a Buick 8 tried to read this several times but can't get into it.. People disapear when working on car alone and Monsters come out off car boot and promptly die as they can't breath our air..
Yeah I've read that one - it's really good and a bit underrated (don't often see it mentioned).

Also, if you do get the Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story collection, there is a story in there about a killer car. Like Christine, it works so well because there is no explanation for what the car is or where it came from. It just kills people because it's there and because it wants to.

Christine is absolutely awesome though and a must-read if you like King's classic supernatural books.

Since you like Desperation (another of my faves too), I'd recommend The Regulators. It comes under Stephen King's other author name of 'Richard Bachman' and features the same town, characters and basic plot as Desperation but it all unfolds quite differently. A bit strange all told but a must if you enjoyed Desperation.

I've read pretty much every book aside from a couple under his Richard Bachman pseudonym and a few of the latest which are in my backlog so if you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask, Steve :)
Thanks Rich will give you a pm thought I was up on the King books and then I come across several I've not heard off including one with a young Drew Barrymore on the cover and Cujo which looked like an evil dog.. They also had Hearts in Atlantis a book about the Vietnam war of all things but featured the Priest from Salems Lot

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 am

There are movies of all three of those.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.