Five 8-bit Games You'd Still Play Today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ivarf

Re: Five 8-bit Games You'd Still Play Today

Post by ivarf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:12 am

davyK wrote:
gunbladelad wrote:All of mine are for the CPC.

Fruit Machine (Amsoft) - | still love firing it up nowadays. Of course, anyone epileptic near me would likely need serious medical assistance whenever I get the jackpot...

I thought i was the only person who liked that game. Played it loads.
Fruit Machine started the gambling carrier of a friend of mine. He got a debt of £100 000 before he was stopped. Get Amstrads for your kids too

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:07 am

Mayhem wrote:Okay, just one platform at a time? Fair enough, I was gonna spread a bit heh...

So for the C64, I'd say... Impossible Mission, IK+, Dropzone, Paradroid (but the speeded up version), Thrust.
Close to mine,
Impossible Mission, Dropzone, Boulderdash, Thrust, Wizball.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:58 am

paranoid marvin wrote:There are loads of 8 bit games that are just as ace today. 5 of the best

The Wild Bunch
Archon
Yes Prime Minister
Atic Atac
C64 Buggy Boy

For all their better graphics and sound, there are no modern games that offer similar but better gameplay.
I thought I'd be the only person who would recommend YPM. Kudos mate. Just out of interest, what's your best approval rating? I've had it in the 70's but was wondering if there was a maximum score.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:18 am

Easy list, here:

Master System
1/ Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
2/ Sonic The Hedgehog
3/ Ninja Gaiden
4/ Alex Kidd In Shinobi World
5/ Rescue Mission

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 am

ivarf wrote:Fruit Machine started the gambling carrier of a friend of mine. He got a debt of £100 000 before he was stopped.
Sounds like he had a real proclivity for expensive risk-taking. I mean, buying an Amstrad, crikey...

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am

gunbladelad wrote:Fruit Machine (Amsoft) - | still love firing it up nowadays. Of course, anyone epileptic near me would likely need serious medical assistance whenever I get the jackpot...
You should try Monkey Ball on the Wii - it gets like that just for rolling the ball down a straight gully on the first few levels. I had to get rid of it as it just wouldn't let me play the damn game for all the stupid effects and CONGRATULATIONS and running the credits for just completing the first stage.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:50 pm

This thread doesn't make a lot of sense to me because pretty much everything I play is retro but for kicks I'll take the original Gameboy:

Tetris
Qix
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Motocross Maniacs

Plus a lot more... and these aren't games I'd still play, they're games I am playing.

n-g-m

Post by n-g-m » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 pm

I only owned a NES when younger and haven't played more than 5 games on any other 8bit platforms so here's my five NES games I would (and still do) play today:

1. Super Mario Bros 3
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Metroid
4. Snake Rattle n Roll
5. Punch-Out!

Few more I could easily include:

Castlevania
Mega Man 2
Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link
Wizards and Warriors
Life Force Salamander

Uh I could keep going - there's just too many damn good games for this console!!!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 am

I've struggled with this because I really wanted to find five games I'd play today on the Spectrum but I've had to give up on it. :(
The sad fact is, the games that still hold up for me today and get a regular(ish) play are on other 8-bit systems.

C64
Uridium
Wizball
POD - Proof Of Destruction
Hunter's Moon
Archon

Atari 800
Dropzone
Boulder Dash
Rescue On Fractalus
Mr Do!
Attack Of The Mutant Camels

I play other 8-bit games (Elite and Exile on the BBC, for example) but again, it's a struggle to find five and I'm more of a MAME man when it comes to arcade ports.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:30 am

The ones I know of those are some pretty good action games. I did love Wizball on the ST, but the common crack of it breaks after the first few levels. I'm not sure if that was a flaw with the original distribution of the game or not. But the C64 version is still great.

It's true that some of the best BBC games were arcade clones, which without a joystick and having the originals available on MAME generally sees them left behind. I still prefer the presentation of the Repton games to the likes of Boulderdash though.

There are some really good recent puzzle-platformers on the Spectrum using multicolour effects - Multidude, Alter Ego and El Stompo are all pretty novel and worth a go. Quazatron is still a good challenge and I've not come across anything else quite like Chronos in a shoot-em-up. And I don't think Manic Miner has aged one bit in over 30 years.

P.S. Discussion of what's on these lists or partial lists are welcome, just try to be polite about other people's choices. :mrgreen: