We need more gaming documentaries.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

We need more gaming documentaries.

Post by Doddsy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:18 am

This topic is as the title says. On TV there is an abundance of documentaries on music and film (BBC 4 for example) yet hardly any (if any) on gaming and the history of gaming despite it now being an established multi million dollar industry. Could it be that gaming still isn't taken seriously and is still viewed as primarily a kids past time despite games like GTA V? One thing I'm sure of, the record industry might be in decline but video games are the new rock n roll and as consoles and PC's become even more powerful showcasing VR with photo realistic graphics they make the medium of film seem quaint.

I say more video game documentaries please the industries been running for over 40 years now surely that counts for something?

The Beans

Re: We need more gaming documentaries.

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:48 am

Doddsy wrote:video games are the new rock n roll
Wow, people really use this phrase? :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 am

I get what you're saying but "need" is a strong word. I don't think we need documentaries to tell us things the likes of us already know or could find out fairly easily through the internet, and I don't need mainstream validation to enjoy my hobby.

I'd be more interested in documentaries by developers covering the production of classic games but they needn't be on tv etc, they'd be cool extras for a game or something for youtube.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:17 am

I don't mind more documentaries but I could approximately 400 less Kickstarter books each year.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:52 am

I'm all for more gaming documentaries. There is one on Kickstarter about the the original Playstation right now, I believe it's by the Bedrooms to Billions folk.

There are many games/franchises/consoles/companies that would make for excellent documentaries, it's a shame there aren't more of them being made.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:20 pm

pratty wrote:I get what you're saying but "need" is a strong word. I don't think we need documentaries to tell us things the likes of us already know or could find out fairly easily through the internet, and I don't need mainstream validation to enjoy my hobby.

I'd be more interested in documentaries by developers covering the production of classic games but they needn't be on tv etc, they'd be cool extras for a game or something for youtube.
I think the point I'm making is that music and film have ample docs on that side of the entertainment industry yet video games don't. Could this be that they are not been taking as seriously as an art form as music and film? If that is the case then its a serious over sight.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Theres tons, ok a lot are fan made and are a bit shite
Problem is the news media cant be bothered unless its "GAMER GOES ON KILLING SPREE" then the usual one sided ones come out with about as much integrity as a block of charcoal

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:59 am

Yes, there is a topic on here somewhere with a ton of documentaries listed (both DVD and to watch online), I still have a few of those to get. Some are really terrific :)