What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

skodathegreat

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by skodathegreat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:07 am

Odin Sphere looks a good collectors edition, very nice.

Have you tried Tokyo Mirage yet? How is it?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Had a really good week for Vita stuff, these arrived today:
Gundam Breaker 3, DOA Xtreme 3 and Odin Sphere. Gundam and DOA are Asian English releases and Odin Sphere is just a game I've been looking forward to playing for quite a while. Also, I purchased (and am waiting for) the Limited Run release of Octodad to arrive, and I also preordered the Fangamer limited physical run version of Shovel Knight for the Vita1

PS4 wise I got Mighty No 9 and Shadow of the Beast (again, Asia got an English physical release of SOTB so I grabbed it). I've only played MN9 though, which despite many issues is still a fun and incredibly addictive game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:06 pm

skodathegreat wrote: Have you tried Tokyo Mirage yet? How is it?
Not yet unfortunately. I honestly bought it now just in case it was one of those small print runs that quickly starts selling for silly prices on Nintendo machines. I might well be proven very wrong of course but I didn't fancy taking the chance, especially with the Fire Emblem connection which always seems to generate daft prices down the line.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 pm

SVC Chaos for Xbox.

Becoming rapidly disheartened with the Xbox , as this title has proven difficult to play on this controller. Wondered if the D pad was broken but worked ok on most other games.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:33 pm

shiftytigger wrote:SVC Chaos for Xbox.

Becoming rapidly disheartened with the Xbox , as this title has proven difficult to play on this controller. Wondered if the D pad was broken but worked ok on most other games.
I think it's just crap for fighting games in general, mate. SVC Chaos is a bit of a clunky one anyway, even on PS2.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Some vague memory of it on PS2 and there was an opponent who just kept spamming some kind of vertical wall projectile. Maybe it was a sucky choice instead of a malfunction. I wont bother keeping it , but my keep pile is looking very slim so far.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:47 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Had a really good week for Vita stuff, these arrived today:
Gundam Breaker 3, DOA Xtreme 3 and Odin Sphere. Gundam and DOA are Asian English releases and Odin Sphere is just a game I've been looking forward to playing for quite a while. Also, I purchased (and am waiting for) the Limited Run release of Octodad to arrive, and I also preordered the Fangamer limited physical run version of Shovel Knight for the Vita1

PS4 wise I got Mighty No 9 and Shadow of the Beast (again, Asia got an English physical release of SOTB so I grabbed it). I've only played MN9 though, which despite many issues is still a fun and incredibly addictive game.
Never knew Shadow of the Beast got a physical release what are your thoughts on it? I found the normal enemies really hard to grab for the health/score multiplier kills and often took a hit attempting the grab.. getting S ranks you had to perfectly time your attacks and blocks , taking all the fun from it as it feels your being forced to play a certain way. Also in the first level where the women soldiers are impossible to avoid getting hit so no S rank.. The bosses while looking amazing where easy to beat you could knock them over with bad breath and died in a few hits.. The castle level wasn't clear you had to climb the castle to get the light to see in the dark, and the level afterwards with the portals the beast refuses to cling onto the wall due to the iffy climbing controls and the fall is an instant death..

Have you finished it and does it have to be played for 'S' rank which is the only way to get healing items.. The consuming innocent souls I imagine gives you a bad ending or penalises you in some way?
Last edited by Shinobi on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:03 pm

I've not had chance to play SOTB yet, I've been too busy playing Mighty No 9 at the moment. I'll try and play it this week, but I can see me stuck to MN9 for a while to come yet as I work on some of the harder challenges/trophies in the game!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 am

I've bought a ton of 360 games since I got the system a few weeks ago:

GTA IV
GTA V
GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Mafia II
Ghostbusters: the Video Game
Alien Isolation: Nostromo Edition
Aliens vs Predator
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Collection
Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection
Dreamcast Collection
The Orange Box
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Borderlands 2
Unreal Tournament 3
PGR 3
PGR 4
Blur
Forza Motorsport 3: Ultimate Collection
F1 2010
Sega Rally
Halo 3
Perfect Dark Zero
Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition

I get that this won't wow most of you but, for me, it's an important therapy to get my mind off all the EU referendum chaos. My games bought to games played ratio isn't too bad: the picks of the bunch so far are GTA V, Blur, the PGR games, Red Dead Redemption and Ghostbusters: the Video Game.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 am

To be fair that's a solid list right there!

I have had my eye on ghostbusters for a while, my local cex has it in on he PS3 but the cover is damaged and he case looks like a scan so I won't touch it, I'm a it funny like that see....

Let me know how it is and I may look for it online somewhere

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:17 am

HisNHer_LP wrote:To be fair that's a solid list right there!

I have had my eye on ghostbusters for a while, my local cex has it in on he PS3 but the cover is damaged and he case looks like a scan so I won't touch it, I'm a it funny like that see....

Let me know how it is and I may look for it online somewhere
I paid about £17 on Amazon for it and it's the most expensive 360 game I've bought. If I wasn't a die hard GB fan, I would never have paid that much.

If you love the original film, you really couldn't ask for more. It's a brilliant interactive recreation of the GB universe.

The PS2 version is a bit cheaper but, as you'd expect, it's greatly scaled down from the 7th gen version.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Pacman 256. Enjoyable game on ps4 for £4.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:25 pm

sscott wrote:Pacman 256. Enjoyable game on ps4 for £4.
I'm currently addicted to it on Xbox One. Great little game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:12 pm

English Invader wrote:I've bought a ton of 360 games since I got the system a few weeks ago:
I get that this won't wow most of you but, for me, it's an important therapy to get my mind off all the EU referendum chaos. My games bought to games played ratio isn't too bad: the picks of the bunch so far are GTA V, Blur, the PGR games, Red Dead Redemption and Ghostbusters: the Video Game.
Good selection of games, will keep you busy for a while.

Ghostbusters is a fantastic game. Really need to pick a copy up again.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:20 pm

English Invader wrote:I've bought a ton of 360 games since I got the system a few weeks ago:

GTA IV
GTA V
GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Mafia II
Ghostbusters: the Video Game
Alien Isolation: Nostromo Edition
Aliens vs Predator
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Collection
Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection
Dreamcast Collection
The Orange Box
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Borderlands 2
Unreal Tournament 3
PGR 3
PGR 4
Blur
Forza Motorsport 3: Ultimate Collection
F1 2010
Sega Rally
Halo 3
Perfect Dark Zero
Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition

I always say this, but you should check out Split/Second if you enjoyed Blur. In my opinion, it's the better game, it's just a shame they both got released together, ate into each other's market and neither got the sequel they deserved.
Last edited by Treguard on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.