E3 2016

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: E3 2016

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:47 pm

I don't see a problem personally.

Here's a console, buy it or don't buy it. Play the latest games or don't. Here's the rival console, buy it or don't. Play the latest games or don't.

A few years pass.

Here's a console, buy it or don't buy it. Play the latest games or don't. Here's the rival console, buy it or don't. Play the latest games or don't.

To me its literally that simple.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Too true good sir

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:17 pm

crusto wrote:Too true good sir
You say True, sir. And a fine evening to you.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:00 pm

sscott wrote:I understand Microsoft's strategy of a console/windows 10 platform, particularly playing online with PC counterparts but I would like to see consoles in separate clear generations. You just know exactly what your getting.
I get that Windows 10 isn't 100% reliable yet but I'm absolutely thrilled that I'll be able to play X1 exclusives on PC :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Rayne wrote:
sscott wrote:I understand Microsoft's strategy of a console/windows 10 platform, particularly playing online with PC counterparts but I would like to see consoles in separate clear generations. You just know exactly what your getting.
I get that Windows 10 isn't 100% reliable yet but I'm absolutely thrilled that I'll be able to play X1 exclusives on PC :D
No need to buy an Xbox one

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Rayne wrote:
why?
Those of us who don't like PC gaming but want to play X1 games need the console - the millions of us that is

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Rayne wrote:
You'd still need to if you want to :
1. Play all Xbox 1 games. There's been no indication from Microsoft yet that they won't keep their hottest properties exclusive to it. The PC will just be getting some games, not all.
2. Not suffer performance issues because the game isn't optimized for your hardware. Quantum Break still stutters on an i7 with a Titan X, apparently.
3. Play games on disc. You'll only be able to get them as downloads via the Windows Store on PC.
4. Play games full screen. Yes, Microsoft don't think this is an issue and have no plans to fix it.

Still, other than those I don't see any insurmountable issues. The main reason I've yet to get any of them is simply that the ones offered so far haven't interested me enough to flash the cash.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Finally caught up on all the trailers from E3 and there turned out to be a fair few things that I was interested in after all. Doubt that time/money will accomodate it all though! Did a brief round-up of my thoughts on my small-fry of a blog:
http://ds90gamer.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06 ... inion.html
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Matt_B wrote: 1. Play all Xbox 1 games. There's been no indication from Microsoft yet that they won't keep their hottest properties exclusive to it. The PC will just be getting some games, not all.
2. Not suffer performance issues because the game isn't optimized for your hardware. Quantum Break still stutters on an i7 with a Titan X, apparently.
3. Play games on disc. You'll only be able to get them as downloads via the Windows Store on PC.
4. Play games full screen. Yes, Microsoft don't think this is an issue and have no plans to fix it.

Still, other than those I don't see any insurmountable issues. The main reason I've yet to get any of them is simply that the ones offered so far haven't interested me enough to flash the cash.
1. The exclusives are bound to be
2. People liked Quantum Break? I thought people only liked it because it was one of the very few exculsives
3. Thats not what they said at E3, buy it once play it on all
4. Buh?

It will end up being the PS4/PC/Nintendo what ever/Retro master race..................

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 pm

DPrinny wrote:1. The exclusives are bound to be
2. People liked Quantum Break? I thought people only liked it because it was one of the very few exculsives
3. Thats not what they said at E3, buy it once play it on all
4. Buh?

It will end up being the PS4/PC/Nintendo what ever/Retro master race..................
1. I'll await confirmation on that.
2. It's not so much the game itself as the technical issues with the port. At base, the problem seems to be that you can't just put a wrapper around a highly optimized Xbox 1 game and expect it to run well on PCs. That might be possible in future, but there's clearly much work to be done for now.
3. For downloads maybe, but please point me to where in the presentation they say how to play an Xbox 1 disc on a PC.
4. There's really no fullscreen exclusive with Windows Universal Apps, and a whole bunch of other things. See here: http://wccftech.com/windows-store-terri ... osoft-fix/

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:45 am

Either way, there's a chance I'll be able to play ReCore without buying an X1. Happy days!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 am

Rayne wrote:Either way, there's a chance I'll be able to play ReCore without buying an X1. Happy days!
Yep, and there are plenty of other good games to look forward to.

I'd just be a little more confident of getting good quality ports if they weren't going the Windows Store route when there doesn't appear to have been anything more complex than Minecraft published that way without a bunch of issues that'd be seemingly avoidable if they'd been developed as regular desktop applications.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:54 am

Matt_B wrote:
Rayne wrote:Either way, there's a chance I'll be able to play ReCore without buying an X1. Happy days!
Yep, and there are plenty of other good games to look forward to.

I'd just be a little more confident of getting good quality ports if they weren't going the Windows Store route when there doesn't appear to have been anything more complex than Minecraft published that way without a bunch of issues that'd be seemingly avoidable if they'd been developed as regular desktop applications.
Hmm, Phil Spencer recently said they were looking to start putting their games on Steam. Of course, no timescales or specifics yet...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 am

Rayne wrote:Hmm, Phil Spencer recently said they were looking to start putting their games on Steam. Of course, no timescales or specifics yet...
I suspect if they do it at all, they'd take a similar approach to EA and Ubisoft who tend to put out new games exclusively on Origin/Uplay but do the occasional back catalogue dump onto Steam. That's usually when sales have died down a bit and/or there's a new sequel coming out and they want to plug the franchise.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 am

Please

NO MORE FECKIN DOWNLOAD SERVICES!!