E3 2016

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: E3 2016

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:24 pm

I'm not opposed to a Linkle option in Zelda, I'm sure a lot of female gamers would like the option to identify with a female character, but Nintendo shouldn't have to it and they shouldn't get any flack for not doing it. It would be impractical to have the option as they would have to alter things such as the character interactions and tweak the story, and the dynamic of Legend of Zelda is that of classic chivalry. Even if there's no overt romance established between Link and Zelda in the game it's sort of implied, it's boy meets girl. This is the story they want to tell, the gamer is not the author, play or make another game if you don't like it. A seperate Zelda/Linkle spin-off game would make more sense.

And the feminists would likely take offence if there was an suddenly an option to play Tomb Raider as a male character, they'd say "Why would someone need to play as man to enjoy this game? Why can't there be a kick arse female protagonist?" So similarly why can't they just play as Link as intended?

On a more general note it is silly people getting angry over being disappointed when they don't get things that were never promised, and only existed in their own minds, it happens in other entertainment aswell.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 pm

DPrinny wrote:We already know its gonna have some kind of motion control/camera because Just Dance 2017, the series that wont feck off
Did you know there is a Wii version coming out as well? The Wii could outlast the Wii-U :shock: :lol:
pratty wrote:I'm not opposed to a Linkle option in Zelda, I'm sure a lot of female gamers would like the option to identify with a female character, but Nintendo shouldn't have to it and they shouldn't get any flack for not doing it.
Agreed. Link is never the exact same Link every time so there's no reason why the character can't be a female BUT the character of Link is a male. It's not people being sexist, it's the basic character design. Feminists would probably be more vocal about Zelda needing rescuing all the time, knowing them. She can kick some arse in SSB though!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:We already know its gonna have some kind of motion control/camera because Just Dance 2017, the series that wont feck off
Did you know there is a Wii version coming out as well? The Wii could outlast the Wii-U :shock: :lol:
No PS2 version mind

Good job EA stopped doing Nintendo games as they would also try making another Fifa for it

Still with PS2 graphics.............

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Some pretty interesting statement comming from the Zelda producer himself:

"We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing."

Source

So essentially he is saying that the screened GamePad was a bad idea. Quite surprising, especially since Zelda seems a pretty good fit for it (offloading the inventory and mini-map over to the pad screen).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Well dur it is

In an action game constantly switching between screens is very distracting, works better on the 3DS because of the distance , it dont feel natural to hold the screen up all the time.

Try watching a film and doing something else on another screen at the same time

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 pm

DPrinny wrote: Try watching a film and doing something else on another screen at the same time
Well some PC users do like multi-tasking and own a multiple screen setup... :wink:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Try watching a film and doing something else on another screen at the same time
Well some PC users do like multi-tasking and own a multiple screen setup... :wink:
Some people would call that a lack of concentration or low attention span. sort of like a hyperactive child hyped up on sugar. Fairly apt description.

TBH I am just joking around, I can see the benefits of a dual screen but why on earth do you feel the need to try and force the conversation to PC gaming all the time.

Its great that you prefer it, every platform needs supporting and kept alive but are you so insecure that you need to constantly convince yourself you made the right choice. It seems almost as if the constant bigging up of the PC is more for your own benefit now. look at me, look at me. I am a PC gamer, look at how much better I am than everyone else. its getting desperately embarressing
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Usually close together,

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Some people would call that a lack of concentration or low attention span. sort of like a hyperactive child hyped up on sugar. Fairly apt description.

TBH I am just joking around, I can see the benefits of a dual screen but why on earth do you feel the need to try and force the conversation to PC gaming all the time.

Its great that you prefer it, every platform needs supporting and kept alive but are you so insecure that you need to constantly convince yourself you made the right choice. It seems almost as if the constant bigging up of the PC is more for your own benefit now. look at me, look at me. I am a PC gamer, look at how much better I am than everyone else. its getting desperately embarressing
He said that it's not possible to watch a movie while doing something else at the same time, I just noted that multi-monitor PC setups are doing exactly that. :wink:

You can play a game on one screen, watch a movie on the other and do some work or internet browsing on the third one. If this is not a focused approach at doing things is another question but the option is there. From this comparison I draw the conclusion that it's possible to watch more screens at the same time, even though I myself was never a fan of the dual screen setups on consoles (tried the DS and didn't like it) and neither use a multi-monitor PC setup.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:22 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
No PS2 version mind

Good job EA stopped doing Nintendo games as they would also try making another Fifa for it

Still with PS2 graphics.............
Wii FIFA may have had visuals closer to PS2 levels than current gen standards, but I suspect even the Wii had better FIFA visuals than a PS2.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:49 pm

DPrinny wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:
Usually close together,
Yeah, I've got three monitors on my desk, but none on my lap. :)

Getting back to the Wii U gamepad, I find it works great for the sort of games where you can stop to think for a bit, and asymmetric two-player modes where one person looks at it while the others use the TV screen. However, fast action games where you have to flip back and forth between it and the TV are usually an exercise in frustration.

Also, I'm not sure if everyone else is aware of this but the latest versions of Just Dance can use a mobile phone with an accelerometer and gyroscope as the controller, so you don't need a dedicated motion control device with the console. As such, I don't think it gives us much of a hint at what form the NX will take.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 pm

i've been saying for ages a cb remaster would be great, nice that it's finally happening.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:39 am

Hey guys! I've not been on this here forum for quite some time (I've still been buying the mag or course).

Anyway, the way consoles are released looks like it's going to change radically. Will we ever see a fourth Xbox or a fifth PlayStation? Looks to me like consoles are heading in the direction of the iPad and Android or even PC way of releasing new hardware. Why is that? Cost?

All of the now current generation of systems are now using Intel/AMD 86-64 based hardware architecture. Cost must have been a factor in this. It must be a lot easier now to code a game on three platforms when the underling hardware is so similar. Worries about backwards comparability could be a thing of the past if this is the way consoles are going to be released now, as upgraded machines are than whole different systems. Thoughts?

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:53 am

MattyC64c wrote:Hey guys! I've not been on this here forum for quite some time (I've still been buying the mag or course).

Anyway, the way consoles are released looks like it's going to change radically. Will we ever see a fourth Xbox or a fifth PlayStation? Looks to me like consoles are heading in the direction of the iPad and Android or even PC way of releasing new hardware. Why is that? Cost?

All of the now current generation of systems are now using Intel/AMD 86-64 based hardware architecture. Cost must have been a factor in this. It must be a lot easier now to code a game on three platforms when the underling hardware is so similar. Worries about backwards comparability could be a thing of the past if this is the way consoles are going to be released now, as upgraded machines are than whole different systems. Thoughts?
On the whole, I don't think that's a bad thing. When the market is mostly online, it gives people reassurance that the console they're buying isn't going to be a doorstop in a couple of years time because they're buying access to the online service rather than the console.

This is probably the main reason why Steam is so successful. It relies on generic PC hardware that will always have an independent life cycle.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:16 am

I understand Microsoft's strategy of a console/windows 10 platform, particularly playing online with PC counterparts but I would like to see consoles in separate clear generations. You just know exactly what your getting.