E3 2016

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PostieDoc

Re: E3 2016

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:20 pm

gman72 wrote:What is UWP?
Microsofts Universal Windows Program on Windows 10, it is looking like a GFWL 2 (Games For Windows Live) but hopefully I'm wrong.
The games that have been released on it so far have suffered a lot of problems.
Not a problem, I will just buy the console version of any game tied to it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 am

PostieDoc wrote:The games that have been released on it so far have suffered a lot of problems.
If by problems you mean a lot of PC master race entitled complaining about the lack of FOV sliders or something, sure. "It is locked to 30 FPS, OMFGLOL" :roll:

Honestly can we not just be happy we're getting Xbone games on PC?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:24 am

theantmeister wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:The games that have been released on it so far have suffered a lot of problems.
If by problems you mean a lot of PC master race entitled complaining about the lack of FOV sliders or something, sure. "It is locked to 30 FPS, OMFGLOL" :roll:

Yeah, there a number of "holy war" issues about UWP that aren't ever going to go away such as Microsoft's past treatment of Windows as a games platform and whether platform exclusives promote healthy competition or are just a blight on gaming as whole. That's all just getting tedious now, and I rather wish people would just judge UWP by the standard of the games that are being delivered on it rather than just raking over old muck.

Microsoft certainly have done some work to address early concerns like the locked frame rates, and most UWP games now support variable sync monitors, which is good. Still, there are genuine sticking points like the lack of a full screen exclusive mode - so you get Xbox games that can't be played like you would play an Xbox game - and so on; Microsoft don't seem to want to address them and keep ducking the issues by pointing out the benefits of running games in Windows mode, seemingly in blithe ignorance of the fact that most PC games sold through other on-line stores give you the choice.

Still, my main gripe would be that they've yet to offer up anything that I've gone "aha, must have that regardless" yet. Plus I'd presume that they're going to keep at least some games Xbox One exclusive for the foreseeable future and use UWP to offer a taster of it rather than the full experience.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 am

theantmeister wrote:

I apologise for not being happy with the quality of the releases (Quantum Break!) so far on UWP and for not being interested in purchasing any more games from there.
Didn't realise that made me "PC Master Race", but I will stick with my plans to instead buy the games for my Xbox.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:38 pm

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/e3/E3_2016_Live ... onferences

Times and that

Relatively unhyped, expecting same crap different year

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:04 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I apologise for not being happy with the quality of the releases (Quantum Break!) so far on UWP and for not being interested in purchasing any more games from there.
Didn't realise that made me "PC Master Race", but I will stick with my plans to instead buy the games for my Xbox.
Oh, I didn't mean you specifically. I've read a load of moans about UWP on various sites and they all seem to boil down to GTX 980 owners complaining about frame rate caps: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... m-break-pc. Maybe I should stop reading Digital Foundry stuff.
PostieDoc wrote:Not a problem, I will just buy the console version of any game tied to it.
Is UWP that bad? I've not tried it myself, but GFWL was a miserable experience.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 pm

DPrinny wrote:http://uk.ign.com/wikis/e3/E3_2016_Live ... onferences

Times and that

Relatively unhyped, expecting same crap different year
Feeling the same. No doubt there'll be lots of good games, no doubt I'll play some of them in the future. As for watching livestreams waiting for the announcements...meh. Can't be bothered :|

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Save time

Dont watch EA (Sports and war), Ubisoft (ass) and Square Enixs (FF7x9 final rewind 17') ones,

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:53 pm

I might watch the Microsoft one and at least the start of the Nintendo Treehouse, Sony's a little too late for me, but yeah unless there's FFVII Remake/Shenmue 3 type surprises like last year, not much to look forward to...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:03 pm

ALK wrote:I might watch the Microsoft one and at least the start of the Nintendo Treehouse, Sony's a little too late for me, but yeah unless there's FFVII Remake/Shenmue 3 type surprises like last year, not much to look forward to...
ARE YOU READY FOR WINDOWS 10 CROSS PLATFORM PLAY AND JUST DANCE 17?

Oh and maybe something with the word Halo on it to try and give people hope

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:17 pm

DPrinny wrote:
ALK wrote:I might watch the Microsoft one and at least the start of the Nintendo Treehouse, Sony's a little too late for me, but yeah unless there's FFVII Remake/Shenmue 3 type surprises like last year, not much to look forward to...
ARE YOU READY FOR WINDOWS 10 CROSS PLATFORM PLAY AND JUST DANCE 17?

Oh and maybe something with the word Halo on it to try and give people hope
Take up knitting then.
You are not mentioning the 100s of top new games that will be covered. The problem is not E3 the problem is you.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:30 pm

100s of top new games is a dream, you will never get 100s of them at E3, probably 10 tops

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:05 pm

DPrinny wrote:100s of top new games is a dream, you will never get 100s of them at E3, probably 10 tops
true 100s is way over the top but I exaggerate to demonstrate your over emphasis on the tiny negative as opposed to the far larger positive. If you are a fan of games then a gaming expo which shows off many potentially great games should really have you stoked rather than the yawn-ive-seen-this-all-before-before-bored-shitless replies you always churn out at this point.
Is there literally anything you are looking forward too in the modern gaming universe?
If the answer is NO then do yourself a favour and take up knitting or drawing or learn an instrument or something... find a hobby that doesn't bore you senseless for the sake of your own sanity.
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:100s of top new games is a dream, you will never get 100s of them at E3, probably 10 tops
Well there's always lots of new games at E3, they just don't get the same coverage as the mainstream big hitters. Although this year it's looking like there might be a slightly larger than usual crop of new IP announcements from that quarter. We shall see.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Did mean to say 10 good ones tops
gman72 wrote: Is there literally anything you are looking forward too in the modern gaming universe?
If the answer is NO then do yourself a favour and take up knitting or drawing or learn an instrument or something... find a hobby that doesn't bore you senseless for the sake of your own sanity.
New KOF?
Even if it does look to be a lot like a lot of modern fighters and be full of pointless BS