What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BellyFullOfHell

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 am

Friend of mine took our Wii to softmod it. He returned it with a bunch of emulators and... F-Zero AX! Hammering it at the minute. Brutal, but oh so good. And aside from looking like ass on a HD TV, as does the Cube game, it runs beautifully. He also stuck Mario Kart GP on there, but after a few plays it seems more of a curio than anything. Certainly less fun that even the average home titles.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:41 pm

sscott wrote:My son is enjoying playing all the characters in Overwatch at the moment. He's not bad for a noob!
Yeah I'm really liking Overwatch too. The characters are definitely the stars of this game.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:26 pm

Working on the post game stuff on Yakuza Kiwami now. I've managed to finish the challenge mode off - which started off really hard but somehow got easier when it came to the boss rush modes (giving you a fully leveled up Dragon of Dojima style makes things so wonderfully easy!).

I've also managed to finish one of the hardest bits off in the Premium Adventure mode - Haruka's Trust challenges. Basically complete certain goals Haruka gives you as you walk around town with her. It starts out easy, but the last 8 or so challenges are a pain, as the difficulty ramps up, and they save Billiards until almost last. Clearing the count up style pool game against hard AI was challenging for me, but I managed to clear it with a bit of skill and a bit of luck! That was immensely satisfying though... The batting center was really easy to do though, which is funny as that is the only part of the original PS2 version of Haruka's challenge that I still can't finish to this day! Now all I've got left to do is one hostess, Koi Koi, a couple of random completion list tasks and finally the secret boss fight against Amon. Fun times :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Batman Arkham Asylum- Did not think I'd get to this point but after 7 years I'm just 1 Achievement shy of 100%ing this game by going through the Story on Hard.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:38 am

Nemesis wrote:
sscott wrote:My son is enjoying playing all the characters in Overwatch at the moment. He's not bad for a noob!
Yeah I'm really liking Overwatch too. The characters are definitely the stars of this game.
Indeed mate. A bit skylanders but the mechanics are good!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Spent the past hour playing this MegaMan DOOM mod
Tis a glorious thing

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I've stopped the SWTOR obsession and god to FF14 currently.

Though I am thinking I should also do FF11 while it's still around.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:48 am

Back on Uncharted 2 on my new PS3 Super Slim (hopefully the last PS3 I need to buy).

This is starting to feel a bit Last of Us now. It has pulled the same ambush mechanic I hated in Last of Us a couple of times. At least you don't have to deal with one hit kill clickers. I love that melee combat is an option. Maybe I'm still in Doom mode, but I find myself running up to people and punching them in the face a lot. And it actually works more often than you'd think :D

The story and dialogue really is very good though. As is the acting. And the music.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:04 pm

theantmeister wrote:Back on Uncharted 2 on my new PS3 Super Slim (hopefully the last PS3 I need to buy).

This is starting to feel a bit Last of Us now. It has pulled the same ambush mechanic I hated in Last of Us a couple of times. At least you don't have to deal with one hit kill clickers. I love that melee combat is an option. Maybe I'm still in Doom mode, but I find myself running up to people and punching them in the face a lot. And it actually works more often than you'd think :D

The story and dialogue really is very good though. As is the acting. And the music.
Love my ultra slim ps3. Lovely thing and the 500gb hard drive holds a ton of games!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:37 am

Dangerous Golf on Xbox One.
Remember the excellent Crash mode in the Burnout games? This is by the same team. Basically, you hit a golf ball into a room full of smashable objects and go for big score with a minimum score being required to unlock the next holes. It's a simple goal that becomes increasingly tricky to achieve as new game elements are introduced. I like this sort of game. Simple gameplay, satisfying destruction, straightforward progression but with plenty of depth and replayability if you want the top scores and medals. I'm dipping in and out of it as a welcome antidote to the poisonous grind of Just Cause 3.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 am

BellyFullOfHell wrote:Friend of mine took our Wii to softmod it. He returned it with a bunch of emulators and... F-Zero AX! Hammering it at the minute. Brutal, but oh so good. And aside from looking like ass on a HD TV, as does the Cube game, it runs beautifully. He also stuck Mario Kart GP on there, but after a few plays it seems more of a curio than anything. Certainly less fun that even the average home titles.
Hmmm - I've got a softmodded Wii, how did you get these games??
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:24 am

F-Zero AX is hidden in the Cube game F-Zero GX, unlockable via an Action Replay code. I'd guess someone has dumped a version of the GC game ready hacked to launch AX.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:49 am

Think, GX loader lets you select it

Its hard enoutgh to get people to play F-Zero at my games nights so AX would be a bit more of a bugger

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Valkyria Chronicles HD what a brilliant game but difficult I'm stuck on Chapter 7 fight The trick is actually getting the Eidelweiss past the blue walls so the batomys keeps moving and shooting at the blue walls instead of stopping to shoot at your tank. I found this works until Selvaria turns up with her Legendary lance and shield... censored is an absolute tank she 1 shot kills all my characters and can not be damaged even with the Edelweiss as well as sniper + range.. I can't damage Maximillions tank or expose the third radiator
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Overwatch. I was expecting a revelation and found a fairly average multiplayer shooter. The characters are really brimming with personality and the maps are well designed but the actual gameplay is kind of average.

Maybe it'll click with more dedicated play, as it is I'm kind of lukewarm on it.