Retro Gamer Issue 154

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Imhotep

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 154

Post by Imhotep » Mon May 23, 2016 5:44 pm

merman wrote:
Imhotep wrote: Interesting to read about the Vic 20, never used one, but still interesting subject, any chance of a making of Perils Of Willy?
Highly trained operatives are, as we speak, attempting to track down the author...
Fingers crossed then .

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue May 24, 2016 10:39 am

Ridiculously late to post on this issue but I was waiting to post this praise in case Merman did one of his 'Vic-20 extras' threads... so this is just to say how much i enjoyed the Vic piece. Yes, as it was my first computer (and first love), of course it was going to drown me in warm and fuzzy nostalgia but as well as that, there were some really interesting insights from a chap who was there and I smiled broadly at the selection of Vic games that were highlighted, whether as exclusives (great to see Chariot Race get a mention) and as 'better than 64' - Snake Pit is a good call and I'd add Mike Singleton's Shadowfax is better on the Vic too.

So cheers - lovely piece!

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm

DRS wrote:Ridiculously late to post on this issue but I was waiting to post this praise in case Merman did one of his 'Vic-20 extras' threads... so this is just to say how much i enjoyed the Vic piece. Yes, as it was my first computer (and first love), of course it was going to drown me in warm and fuzzy nostalgia but as well as that, there were some really interesting insights from a chap who was there and I smiled broadly at the selection of Vic games that were highlighted, whether as exclusives (great to see Chariot Race get a mention) and as 'better than 64' - Snake Pit is a good call and I'd add Mike Singleton's Shadowfax is better on the Vic too.

So cheers - lovely piece!
Glad you liked it.
I do still have some extras to post, so stay tuned...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 pm

I should have mentioned it earlier, but another thumbs up for the Vic-20 article, and a Perils of Willy one would be great to see.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm

After a very good issue 153, this one was more miss than hit for me.

I'm not into Quake or fighters, and I found the Renegade and DoA articles quite uninteresting. The best bits were the Star Wars and Cobra articles for me. And Minority Report is always good.

The Stuart Cox interview layout is disappointing (to be gentle): a collection of Spectrum and Amstrad screenshots. Same thing that often happens with issues on multi-format games: the bias in favour of Spectrum screenshots is evident.

After several years I decided not to renew my subscription, magazine content quality is variable but overall quite good, but in 2014 I took advantage of a 49,99GBP offer for overseas subscribers, now 70GBP is too much for my pockets. Hope some offer pops up in the future.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

BenyoBoy

Post by BenyoBoy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 am