Retro Gaming. How far Back is your cut off point.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Retro Gaming. How far Back is your cut off point.

Post by joefish » Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 am

I do struggle to get my head around any sort of strategy in Nine Men's Morris sometimes.
And I know someone who still thinks Chess is a thing...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Chess? That's practically a modern game.

How about Senet or the Royal Game of Ur? :D

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Sun May 22, 2016 3:10 am

Having cut off dates or cut off systems is a pretty stupid thing to do really. There are playable games on most systems.
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

Lurchibles

Post by Lurchibles » Sun May 22, 2016 4:22 pm

For me, I'll play anything as long as it's recommended and I can find a way to get it working. If something requires a specific niche console (I'm looking at you Fujitsu FM Towns Marty) then my cut off point is the price of entry.

If you aren't comfortable with anything before 16 bit, then I recommend you play Castlevania - originally on the NES and cheap on Wii/WiiU/3DS. It's still playable today, and other than the jump-arc taking a bit to learn, it's phenomenonal.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 am

In terms of my own personal collection I won't buy anything before the Master System. I keep on toying with getting another Amstrad, but I just can't get myself excited about going back to tape-based games again. If I do play anything 8-bit based at home (very, very rare) then I'll use an emulator.

ErronBlackMKX

Post by ErronBlackMKX » Mon May 23, 2016 6:10 pm

For me I play anything really. Age makes no difference IMO.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am

Swainy wrote:Having cut off dates or cut off systems is a pretty stupid thing to do really. There are playable games on most systems.
True, but if you're looking in terms of space, not everyone has it.
I can't really add any more machines to my set up so a system would have to be pretty special to replace one I have.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 am

There are games I enjoy on the Nes/Master System but they tend to be available on Nintendo's virtual console so in terms of what I physically buy on their original format, the 16 bit era. I own a Snes, I used to own a Mega Drive but again, I found most of the games I wanted were available either digitally or on collection packs (eg. Sega Mega Drive Collection, Sonic Mega Collection etc)

As Darran says, space is the main issue for me. I can't have them all set up at once and I find the consoles are more likely to gather dust than have the occasional run out if I've not got them sitting there under a TV - so if the bulk of the games I want are available digitally I'll just buy my games that way. It's obviously much more enjoyable to play a game on its original format (most of the time anyway) but it's not always convenient.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Cut of point!!!

No such thing... I'd love to get my hands on an Edsac computer and OXO (tic tac toe) program :D

Maybe the difference with me is I still have a lot of games that were bought new in the eighties right up to games for modern systems, I even have some telling colour star cartridges from the seventies.

Mostly (lots of games for) - Vectrex, VIC-20, Atari 8Bit Home Computer range, Master System, Megadrive, Game Gear, Playstation, Dreamcast, DS, PS2, PS3... oh and PC games from monochrome PC XT stuff again up to modern games (nowadays mostly from Steam), so yeh, pretty much anything

Although there are various other systems, that I maybe have a handful of (less than ten'ish) games for.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon May 30, 2016 6:10 pm

My cut off is about 1994-odds. I wouldn't play many games after that point! The best era for games was the 80s, cause that's when the industry wasn't controlled by big business, like rock and roll in the sixties. When mulinationals took over, ideas and innovation dropped dramatically, and franchises became the yawnfest of the future (movies have gone in the same direction). There were more ideas and game mechanics on the Spectrum and C64 in 1984 than in the entire history of the Xbox 360. I honestly don't understand why people play modern games franchises at all. Yeah I know that's kind of an extreme point of view, but there it is.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm

GarryG wrote:Cut of point!!!

No such thing... I'd love to get my hands on an Edsac computer and OXO (tic tac toe) program :D
There's a project at the National Museum of Computing to build an EDSAC replica so you may well get your wish one day. They'll need a lot of money and volunteers before it's done though.

For now, you'd just have to make do with Spacewar on a PDP-1 at the Computing History Museum in California. I believe that's the oldest computer game still running on the original hardware.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue May 31, 2016 1:50 am

Spector wrote:My cut off is about 1994-odds. I wouldn't play many games after that point! The best era for games was the 80s, cause that's when the industry wasn't controlled by big business, like rock and roll in the sixties. When mulinationals took over, ideas and innovation dropped dramatically, and franchises became the yawnfest of the future (movies have gone in the same direction). There were more ideas and game mechanics on the Spectrum and C64 in 1984 than in the entire history of the Xbox 360. I honestly don't understand why people play modern games franchises at all. Yeah I know that's kind of an extreme point of view, but there it is.

Looking at that post again, it looks like I was suffering last night from a bout of HalcyonDaze-itis! Of course there's good games today which are innovative, but I think games in the 80s were much simpler, smaller scale in a good way, and there were more ideas then. Sorry, non-believers!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 31, 2016 4:12 am

Spector wrote:
Spector wrote:My cut off is about 1994-odds. I wouldn't play many games after that point! The best era for games was the 80s, cause that's when the industry wasn't controlled by big business, like rock and roll in the sixties. When mulinationals took over, ideas and innovation dropped dramatically, and franchises became the yawnfest of the future (movies have gone in the same direction). There were more ideas and game mechanics on the Spectrum and C64 in 1984 than in the entire history of the Xbox 360. I honestly don't understand why people play modern games franchises at all. Yeah I know that's kind of an extreme point of view, but there it is.

Looking at that post again, it looks like I was suffering last night from a bout of HalcyonDaze-itis! Of course there's good games today which are innovative, but I think games in the 80s were much simpler, smaller scale in a good way, and there were more ideas then. Sorry, non-believers!
The 80s are always seen as a great time of innovation and they were ... to a degree. Lots of things tried out by the developers, plenty of new ideas and so on but looking back it was all done within a very narrow field of genres and styles that ripped each other off mercilessly. There was certainly more variety in themes though, especially on the speccy and C64. When your hardware limits your possible game mechanics so severely what else can you do? I see the 80s very much as a time when developers would make a game about anything just so their game was different. A great time for quirkiness but I think sometimes it exaggerates the innovation and variety thing.

As ever on here, "modern gaming" is given a stupidly narrow interpretation that seems to only encompasses the major triple-A franchises. Gaming on the Xbox 360 also includes XBLA and XBLIG where variety, experimentation and even innovation are there in significant quantities. The indie scene as a whole is far more exotic than what we were being fed by publishers and coders in 1984.

For every Toobin' there's a Beautiful Katamari is my motto. It's all good and always has been.
Last edited by The Beans on Tue May 31, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:51 am

Spector wrote:
Looking at that post again, it looks like I was suffering last night from a bout of HalcyonDaze-itis!
Relax! You're not THAT bad. You just had a senior moment/wobble. :P

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue May 31, 2016 10:06 am

The Beans wrote:As ever on here, "modern gaming" is given a stupidly narrow interpretation that seems to only encompasses the major triple-A franchises. Gaming on the Xbox 360 also includes XBLA and XBLIG where variety, experimentation and even innovation are there in significant quantities. The indie scene as a whole is far more exotic than what we were being fed by publishers and coders in 1984.
I totally agree with this and I'd say something similar to anyone who says that gaming is too samey.

Wait for the next Steam sale and try a handful of indie games with a massive discount (read reviews if you're unsure about quality). You tend to get some of the really experimental stuff at itch.io. Try picking up bundles from places like Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars, Indie Gala, Groupees etc. There's a boatload of good stuff out there in "indie world"; more than anyone will ever have the time to play.