Overwatch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Overwatch

Post by Sel Feena » Thu May 26, 2016 7:03 pm

So is anyone playing this? How are you finding it? I didn't think I'd gel with some of the characters but the only one I'm having trouble understanding is Zarya. I can see myself putting a fair bit of time into this.

Grizzly

Re: Overwatch

Post by Grizzly » Fri May 27, 2016 6:10 am

Didn't see anything in the beta that made me want to jump on it. I'm sure it's fun but it certainly isn't for me. I guess i have gone off competitive shooters altogether which severely limits gaming choices it seems.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 27, 2016 6:27 am

I hated Team Fortress 2 and this is more of the same. I was grateful for the beta because it saved me some money. I'd say this game and Battleborn are the most overrated current gen games since Titanfall.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri May 27, 2016 7:04 am

^ I do agree that some of the reviews coming out are silly; this is a very good, very fun shooter but it doesn't deserve perfect 10s/5s.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 pm

I've been playing it a lot on PS4 this week, it's easily one of my favorite game this year.

Blizzard is very good at taking existing genres, refining them just enough to make them feel fresh and also making them easily accessible but with a high skill ceiling.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri May 27, 2016 2:14 pm

I want to get into this but I know I'd be rubbish at it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm pretty average at straight-up shooting, but there are a fair few characters that can be used that don't rely on that. Mei for example.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Rayne wrote:I want to get into this but I know I'd be rubbish at it.
As long as you are playing the objective you are benefiting the team.

The game doesn't expose kill/death ratios or even telegraph your teams kill count in any sort of leader board during a match. It's a very approachable game.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ I do agree that some of the reviews coming out are silly; this is a very good, very fun shooter but it doesn't deserve perfect 10s/5s.
A few months ago gamers and reviewers were lambasting Star Wars Battlefront for exactly the same cardinal sins that Overwatch commits. Yet somehow Overwatch not only gets a free pass on its lightweight content, we've also got gamers saying the game "feels fresh" despite it having no original gameplay components whatsoever and some reviewers even going so far as to say it redefines the fps genre. :lol:

I really can't take gaming opinion seriously anymore.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:59 am

The Beans wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:^ I do agree that some of the reviews coming out are silly; this is a very good, very fun shooter but it doesn't deserve perfect 10s/5s.
A few months ago gamers and reviewers were lambasting Star Wars Battlefront for exactly the same cardinal sins that Overwatch commits. Yet somehow Overwatch not only gets a free pass on its lightweight content...
The difference is that Star Wars Battlefront is a game light on content and still has a £40 season pass if you want extra maps and stuff. All the extra maps, characters and game modes in Overwatch will be released for free.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat May 28, 2016 4:17 am

^ If Blizz keep to that promise, it'll be great, and there's no reason to think they won't. D3's still getting updates on PS4. There will always be people who'll be willing to fork over cash for cosmetics, and that'll be the least obnoxious way for them to make some additional money.

MES Records

Post by MES Records » Sat May 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Need more content. Already bored when there are no friends to play with. :(

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:10 pm

MES Records wrote:Need more content. Already bored when there are no friends to play with. :(
Which platform are you on?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am

Had not bought a full priced game in years before Overwatch but can safely say I'm loving it so far. I usually hate all that COD sh1t, run, shoot, die, repeat but despite accusations of lack of content, I feel it was worth the £42.99 I spent on it. If you're on PS4, my gamer tag is rankle89 should you want to team up sometime. :D
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon May 30, 2016 6:04 am

Joey wrote:
The Beans wrote:
A few months ago gamers and reviewers were lambasting Star Wars Battlefront for exactly the same cardinal sins that Overwatch commits. Yet somehow Overwatch not only gets a free pass on its lightweight content...
The difference is that Star Wars Battlefront is a game light on content and still has a £40 season pass if you want extra maps and stuff. All the extra maps, characters and game modes in Overwatch will be released for free.
Yep.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer