Games that have made you cry

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Games that have made you cry

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Only film that left e with a tear was ET - surprised myself tbh , but I was only a kid. didn't realise the dead/not-really-dead trope.

A for games - definitely not that bit ion FFVII; as has been said , there is little player interaction in the story, and very little bonding with characters. Probably the only time that there was possibly a tear was at the end of Throne of Bhaal when I discovered that Minsc's giant space hamster truly existed. Minsc is one of THE greatest characters in computer gaming, and his nutty devotion to butt-kicking for justice and Boo (plus the fact that he is an EXCELLENT tank) gve players a real affinity to the character.

Western RPGs rool, Jap RPGS drool! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Never, not with games or movies. Then again, I don't even cry at family funerals and the like so I guess I'm potentially dead inside.

A few games have made me feel a bit emotional but never to point of crying.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Going to mention a couple of movies, since the only game I can think of is Mario Galaxy. The end of Stardust is probably the most moving I've ever seen. Also Sleepless in Seattle - not for the romance, but when Meg Ryan looks inside the rucksack of the kid who's made his way all alone right across the USA and it's just his teddy bear. Awww.

Actually, Link's Awakening is pretty sad towards the end, when you know that the only way to complete it will also cause all the characters to cease to exist. (Although there's a hint on certain playthroughs that at least one makes it out alive).

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm

I know there's been a few that have gotten me teary-eyed, I just can't remember any of them :oops:

The Grandia games might have managed it, I think. Also, I seem to remember Halo 4's ending me going.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat May 28, 2016 11:30 am

ncf1 wrote:At the end of Grim Fandango. Only time ever, and it surprised me. But then I realised wow.. the writing was amazing in this game, just superb.

Great question!
Grim Fandango was great. I never cried but felt quite emotional during Lola's death scene.

Planescape: Torment was quite touching at times. The end was great.

MES Records

Post by MES Records » Sat May 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Crisis Core. Seriously, Crisis Core. No other game even comes close to what I've experienced with that ending.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat May 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Good question.

I've never actually cried over a game - except when I realised the copy of Road Runner I had just bought on the Spectrun wasn't compatible with my +2A.

Spec Ops: The Line definitely got to me after the mortar attack but, though.

Oh, and the bit with the captured griffon during Brothers: A tale of two sons.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Oooh I'd somehow forgotten about Brothers. Really sad ending, and all the more of an achievement when you consider it was done without voice acting or text

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun May 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:Never, not with games or movies. Then again, I don't even cry at family funerals and the like so I guess I'm potentially dead inside.

A few games have made me feel a bit emotional but never to point of crying.
THIS.

The saddest I've gotten at a game might have been Brothers. Not about to start bawling though.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon May 30, 2016 6:14 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The only time I ever cried in a game was during the beginning of The Last Of Us. And possibly the end too.
I think its a well played story , no tears but still gets you in there.

ulysses31

Post by ulysses31 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:45 pm

"that dragon, cancer."

thought it would be hard to not get emotional about a true life inspired game about a child with the big C. however, the injection of religion half way through may put people off, it did me.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The only time I ever cried in a game was during the beginning of The Last Of Us. And possibly the end too.
Oh man, I was going to reply with incredulity that anyone would cry at a game. Then I remembered this. I think it's something you can only every really feel in the gut if you have kids of your own.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Final Fantasy X. Again and again.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 am

Never cried to a game. Felt emotional too a few but no tears.

Biggest emotion I had is when I #### my pants big time at the first time at Resident Evil 2 where the cut scene has the tongued creature on the ceiling and it jumped down when the cut scene ended. :mrgreen:

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:19 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Oh man, I was going to reply with incredulity that anyone would cry at a game. Then I remembered this. I think it's something you can only every really feel in the gut if you have kids of your own.
Just finished The Last of Us. Brilliant game but crying at it? No.
It's very well written and (voice) acted but I think the fact that you've only known the character for 5 mins kind of lessens the effect it might otherwise have had.