What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 19, 2016 7:14 pm

After polishing off my latest revisitation of Medievil for PS1, I've moved straight onto the sequel. I never did play this one as much as the original game and I certainly never managed to 100% it (unlike the original which I have achieved 100% countless times) but I remember enjoying it as much as the original. Oddly though, I'm finding lots of things simply annoying about the sequel - things that I don't recall noticing back in the day. The way Dan was given a new comedy voice for example, or enemies that are just plain irritating (the intangiable blokes from the Kensington level that spawn zombies for instance). Not sure I even like the more realistic 1886 London setting either. Having said all that, it's still enjoyable and it's still Medievil...I just prefer Gallowmere!

Also dead pleased to finally get Sophitia into my team in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. Had enough banked Growth Points to get her straight up to Lv.62 which is there or thereabouts with where my other two characters are at. She has some fantastic combos straight from Soul Calibur and her Square x 5 > Triangle x 2 combo is properly devastating, culminating in an aerial rave of sorts and then you can do the downwards sword thrust, also out of SC. She also has that same kinky (well, I always thought it was anyway!) head crusher grab move! Loving this game at the moment. Only problem is that there are too many bad-ass-looking characters I want to try out (just got Honda and Hanzo Hattori...) but I can't justify spreading the exp too thin!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Megamixer wrote:After polishing off my latest revisitation of Medievil for PS1, I've moved straight onto the sequel. I never did play this one as much as the original game and I certainly never managed to 100% it (unlike the original which I have achieved 100% countless times) but I remember enjoying it as much as the original. Oddly though, I'm finding lots of things simply annoying about the sequel - things that I don't recall noticing back in the day. The way Dan was given a new comedy voice for example, or enemies that are just plain irritating (the intangiable blokes from the Kensington level that spawn zombies for instance). Not sure I even like the more realistic 1886 London setting either. Having said all that, it's still enjoyable and it's still Medievil...I just prefer Gallowmere!

Also dead pleased to finally get Sophitia into my team in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. Had enough banked Growth Points to get her straight up to Lv.62 which is there or thereabouts with where my other two characters are at. She has some fantastic combos straight from Soul Calibur and her Square x 5 > Triangle x 2 combo is properly devastating, culminating in an aerial rave of sorts and then you can do the downwards sword thrust, also out of SC. She also has that same kinky (well, I always thought it was anyway!) head crusher grab move! Loving this game at the moment. Only problem is that there are too many bad-ass-looking characters I want to try out (just got Honda and Hanzo Hattori...) but I can't justify spreading the exp too thin!
Hanzo rocks. Plus he shares the same Japanese voice actor as Kiryu Kazuma from Yakuza (which somehow makes him more badass).

Speaking of Yakuza - I've managed to reach the point where I've unlocked the fighting Arena in Purgatory. I've also unlocked the Komaki training to get more badass moves. In the PS4 port you have to purchase certain items from the arena shop in order to unlock the Komaki training so there may be an awful lot of grinding involved for the last couple of bits of training.

I also had a pretty decent run on Mahjong, especially after a few crappy ones lately. So damn addictive, Sega could probably release a Yakuza themed Mahjong game and I'd spend tons of hours playing it...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 20, 2016 12:49 am

Found a folder that ive had for years called "101 DOOM WADs"

Played about ten of them, 4 seemed to do something

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri May 20, 2016 6:56 am

Battlefield: Hardline (PS4) - Brought on a whim as it was the last day of the Playstation Store Sale and I had some credit, 50GB download later and it isn't that bad a game for all the slamming it gets.....although, I don't see how they had the cheeky to charge full RRP for it in the first place!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:01 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Hanzo rocks. Plus he shares the same Japanese voice actor as Kiryu Kazuma from Yakuza (which somehow makes him more badass).
I've started using my accumulated Growth Points to boost Hanzo up so that I can use him as a fifth member for the Gauntlet mode. My Rachel/Ayane/Sophitia team are all knocking on Lv.80 now so I no longer feel like spending the points on them. Gauntlet is brutal though; I got over-confident on the very first level and absolutely destroyed by an enormous enemy force (I think the Miasma level was around 22). It's a stark contrast to the Story mode which is a pushover on the Normal difficulty.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Hanzo rocks. Plus he shares the same Japanese voice actor as Kiryu Kazuma from Yakuza (which somehow makes him more badass).
I've started using my accumulated Growth Points to boost Hanzo up so that I can use him as a fifth member for the Gauntlet mode. My Rachel/Ayane/Sophitia team are all knocking on Lv.80 now so I no longer feel like spending the points on them. Gauntlet is brutal though; I got over-confident on the very first level and absolutely destroyed by an enormous enemy force (I think the Miasma level was around 22). It's a stark contrast to the Story mode which is a pushover on the Normal difficulty.
Is that Samurai Showdown Hanzo Hattorai or the one from Orochi? The more I hear about this game the more I want it not saw it in the wild so may have to get online..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Shinobi wrote: Is that Samurai Showdown Hanzo Hattorai or the one from Orochi? The more I hear about this game the more I want it not saw it in the wild so may have to get online..
I think he's from one of the Samurai Warriors games. This is by Koei so there's no chance of an SNK character being involved :) . I believe Hanzo Hattori is a real life historical figure in Japan so that's why there are so many different versions of him in gaming. I think most Dynasty/Samurai Warriors characters are the same if I'm not mistaken.

I do wonder if I'd have actually bought this without the guest characters though since my whole team consists of them now. On the plus side, it has definitely made me think about playing some of the other Warriors games.

I paid £17.99 for a new copy from Amazon if that helps.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Hanzo is from Samurai Warriors. The SNK version is simply SNK interpretation of the classic character. Its similar to how Koei, SNK, Capcom (Onimusha) or Sega (via the Yakuza Kenzan/Ishin) games have legendary swordsmen and leaders of Japan appear in their feudal Japan games.

I've not even tried Gauntlet mode yet, I'm still working on Story mode (halfway through) but won't be back probably until I'm done with Yakuza.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:30 pm

^^^ I wasn't going to bother with it to be honest but it's apparently the only way to get materials for crafting weapons. Hoping I craft some new Lv.4 weapons or something because nothing any better than Lv.3 has come up at the Blacksmiths yet. Judging by my embarassing failure though, you don't get to keep any materials that you find when you are defeated, just the Growth Points. For reference, I had three high Lv.70 characters, one at Lv.66 and a sole Lv.1 that I wanted to level up but I still got schooled. The grunts are just as easy to kill off as in Story but I had around 10 officers attacking at once and they were far tougher than in the Story mode.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri May 20, 2016 7:14 pm

This is the Hanzo Hattorai I remember hopefully they have kept him the same

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:^^^ I wasn't going to bother with it to be honest but it's apparently the only way to get materials for crafting weapons. Hoping I craft some new Lv.4 weapons or something because nothing any better than Lv.3 has come up at the Blacksmiths yet. Judging by my embarassing failure though, you don't get to keep any materials that you find when you are defeated, just the Growth Points. For reference, I had three high Lv.70 characters, one at Lv.66 and a sole Lv.1 that I wanted to level up but I still got schooled. The grunts are just as easy to kill off as in Story but I had around 10 officers attacking at once and they were far tougher than in the Story mode.

I've got a couple of high level characters, I'll have to give it a shot. I'd be interested in seeing how my Achilles and Guan Yu fare! What chapter are you up to? By chapter 3/4 I was easily getting level 4 weapons. All my current characters I use have them now bar Zhao Yun who has a mystical Level 5 weapon (that rocks).
Shinobi wrote:This is the Hanzo Hattorai I remember hopefully they have kept him the same

Yeah, that's the one. His appearance has changed slightly after they updated everyones design in Samurai Warriors 3 but he still looks very similar.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I've got a couple of high level characters, I'll have to give it a shot. I'd be interested in seeing how my Achilles and Guan Yu fare! What chapter are you up to? By chapter 3/4 I was easily getting level 4 weapons. All my current characters I use have them now bar Zhao Yun who has a mystical Level 5 weapon (that rocks).
I'm quite a way into Chapter 3 now (where you go back in time with Da Ji). I was interested in Achilles too actually. On a side note, do you know if the Troy-themed Warriors game that he was in was released in the West? I'd certainly be interested in giving that a go.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I've got a couple of high level characters, I'll have to give it a shot. I'd be interested in seeing how my Achilles and Guan Yu fare! What chapter are you up to? By chapter 3/4 I was easily getting level 4 weapons. All my current characters I use have them now bar Zhao Yun who has a mystical Level 5 weapon (that rocks).
I'm quite a way into Chapter 3 now (where you go back in time with Da Ji). I was interested in Achilles too actually. On a side note, do you know if the Troy-themed Warriors game that he was in was released in the West? I'd certainly be interested in giving that a go.
Legend of Troy is the game he is from I believe, and yes it got a western release, I still need to pick it up. Achilles is just crazy good when levelled up - he's got incredible range and does crazy damage. Basically a one man walking tank. You should start getting better weapons by the end of that chapter I believe, at least I did but I'm playing it on hard so I think that affects the weapon drops you get.

Today's Yakuza progress was finishing off the first hostess side mission in the game (thankfully, there are only two in this game, compared to the 5-7? in the original game). It helps they greatly refined the hostess interaction process since 5, so its more fun, and takes far less time to max each one out. Plus I managed to snag a trophy for beating her at a game of Mahjong - in a somewhat lucky way. I was losing badly and managed to turn around the entire game by getting one incredibly good hand :lol: (probably the best hand I've ever got since I started playing MahJong). 65% done with the completion list now, so I'm getting closer!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Manic mole - Platforming censored
The dog island - boring censored
The quest for Aladdin's treasure - boring puzzle censored, BLOODY SLIDING BLOCK PUZZLES!!!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat May 21, 2016 6:10 pm

PS4 Shadow of the Beast can not believe how good this game a 2d Metroidvania with a risk and reward combat system.. Levels have multiple routes lots of hidden items and some really well done boss fights.. Amiga Shadow of the Beast is also included..