If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Your choice between consoles or computers as your only lifetime gaming device?

Computers all the way dammit
51%
Consoles for me thanks
47%
Other, like handheld devices
2%

Total votes: 55

outdated_gamer

Re: If You Had To Choose - Consoles or Computers?

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 pm

English Invader wrote:I find that the things that people complain about with PC gaming are the things that draw me to it. I like the challenge of getting games to work and learning more about the games and the hardware in the process. I almost feel like PC gaming on Linux is an RPG in and of itself.
Not to mention you have two decades or older PC games that still have fan communities who keep them alive via modding and custom made programs that keep their online multiplayer components working. Whereas new console games get dropped online support as fast as a few months time and there is absolutely no modding scenes (outside of hacking/cheating things, but that's not the accurate meaning of game modding).

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 17, 2016 12:50 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Whereas new console games get dropped online support as fast as a few months time
Any examples?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:14 pm

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Whereas new console games get dropped online support as fast as a few months time
Any examples?
I'm not really following the modern console scene but I remember that Gran Turismo 5's online support was dropped as soon as Gran Turismo 6 came out and if I recall correctly MAG on the PS3 was also pulled the plug pretty fast. And then you have companies like EA who kill online support very fast too, though this goes for their PC releases too.

The fact that you can join a online season of Quake or Ultima Online right now on the PC is impressive in my eyes.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 17, 2016 1:32 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: I'm not really following the modern console scene but I remember that Gran Turismo 5's online support was dropped as soon as Gran Turismo 6 came out and if I recall correctly MAG on the PS3 was also pulled the plug pretty fast. And then you have companies like EA who kill online support very fast too, though this goes for their PC releases too.
MAG's servers were up for four years. No idea about GT5, never played it.

The truth is that the majority of games on console are still online enabled, especially on the 360. I can't recall anything that had its online chopped "as fast as a few month's time". Even if there are such games out there it's misleading to state it as the current norm.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:41 pm

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: I'm not really following the modern console scene but I remember that Gran Turismo 5's online support was dropped as soon as Gran Turismo 6 came out and if I recall correctly MAG on the PS3 was also pulled the plug pretty fast. And then you have companies like EA who kill online support very fast too, though this goes for their PC releases too.

The truth is that the majority of games on console are still online enabled, especially on the 360. I can't recall anything that had its online chopped "as fast as a few month's time". Even if there are such games out there it's misleading to state it as the current norm.
Still kind of sucks the console makers and big publishers like to drop online support as fast as they can. I guess that's "business 101" for you. :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 17, 2016 2:27 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:

Still kind of sucks the console makers and big publishers like to drop online support as fast as they can. I guess that's "business 101" for you. :wink:
You were wrong. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. You've been caught talking out of your ignorant PC Master Race poo-poo again and that's all she wrote.
But carry on as if dropping online support is somehow only exclusive to consoles and never happens on the PC. I can laugh at you some more.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

The Beans wrote: You were wrong. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. You've been caught talking out of your ignorant PC Master Race poo-poo again and that's all she wrote.
But carry on as if dropping online support is somehow only exclusive to consoles and never happens on the PC. I can laugh at you some more.
Not sure what you're on about, I mentioned that EA likes to drop support for their PC releases very fast too. :wink:

Saying that online support on consoles usually drops quicker is not some sort of made-up thing, it's basically pretty much a fact. You might still be able to play online on the 360 but you never know when MS will pull the plug. Wii's online is already dead afaik and there might not be a whole lot of business sense to keep those old titles or systems going on. I won't say that PC multiplayer doesn't get dropped (for example two years ago we had the GameSpy master servers shutdown which has hurt the older PC titles a lot in a MP sense), but usually the community will come up with some work arounds or fixes and even age-old titles still have servers and players for them.

It baffles me a bit that you seem to suggest that console online is somehow comparable to the PC exerience where 90% of the games don't even have dedicated servers for them. :wink:

Online play always used to be PC's strenght since local play wasn't as popular or relegated to specific events.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Beans was quite correct to shout you out for spouting inaccurate tosh, as soon as he fronts you say you're not up on the current console scene. Stick to PCs mate, at least then your statements might have some basis In fact.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 17, 2016 6:29 pm

As a PC gamer it REALLY PISHED ME OFF when Codemasters dropped the online part to GRID on PC. There was a vibrant community and the racing was excellent, and to this day I have yet to find an online racer as good as that.
It is still online multiplayer on the 360 though..........................................................................
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:40 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: Whereas new console games get dropped online support as fast as a few months time
I don't know if Grid is still online on the 360 but I know that the above statement is generalised twaddle, marko.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 17, 2016 7:23 pm

In the case of both Wii games and the PS3 and PC versions of GRID the problem was that they'd subcontracted the on-line service to third parties who ceased operating unexpectedly at rather short notice. That's the real bogeyman here; it's not a PC vs console issue at all.

Having the opportunity to run your own dedicated servers - which is usually only going to be an option for PCs - is nice for insurance purposes against this sort of thing happening, but they're still exceptional cases. That said, there are plenty of old console games being kept alive on-line via fan-run servers too; there usually a bit of hacking involved for it to happen.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 18, 2016 1:10 pm

gman72 wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: Whereas new console games get dropped online support as fast as a few months time
I don't know if Grid is still online on the 360 but I know that the above statement is generalised twaddle, marko.
Well, some console ports die pretty quick on the PC... :wink:

Meanwhile, Counter-Strike 1.6 is still enjoying a pretty huge community, considering the age:

https://www.gametracker.com/search/cs/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 18, 2016 4:57 pm

In all honesty the only console I would say I would miss would be the VCS. Speccy, C64, Amiga and PC trump any console for me.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

williamdixon

Post by williamdixon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 am

It seems to me that it is pointless to compare because different games require different platforms. You must choose depending on your interests and preferences.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 am

williamdixon wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 am
It seems to me that it is pointless to compare because different games require different platforms. You must choose depending on your interests and preferences.
It's a great point, I think I chose consoles a couple of years ago in this topic, but it's such a difficult thing to vote for due to both having their strengths and weaknesses, and especially both having specific genres they excel at. I could have just as easily voted for computers.