Game and Watch is back... in Lidl of all places.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Game and Watch is back... in Lidl of all places.

Post by killbot » Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 am

Remember a few years ago Nintendo revived the G&W line as a series of keychain games? It appears that in 2014 a German company called Stadlbauer licenced the rights from Nintendo and reissued them, and while I don't recall seeing them at the time they've now appeared in my local Lidl. They have three titles available (Super Mario Bros., Mario's Cement Factory and Donkey Kong Jr.) for £3.99 each - a pretty good price if you consider the original releases will set you back many times that.

The build quality is a bit cheap and not at all up to the standard of first-party Nintendo products but they play well enough and they're easily the cheapest way to play these games. I was just pleased to be able to play SMB again - I had the original G&W CIB and sold it for peanuts years ago, I always wanted to play it again but assumed it would cost me a fortune to get it back.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ncf1

Re: Game and Watch is back... in Lidl of all places.

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 am

Wow.. wish they'd bring out the entire range, make it collectible at least.. I started with the mini ones when they came out but they were a bit too fiddly for my fingers and so stopped.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Someone revived the old thread earlier:
http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ead#unread
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri May 13, 2016 5:54 am

Gonna be getting my beers there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. :)

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:24 pm

If I'm in a Lidl I'll keep my eye out for them as well...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat May 14, 2016 5:35 pm

My nearest Lidl is a fery & train trip away - but now I have an excuse to head on over next week - aside from getting cheap shopping... (Yes, even after a ferry & train journey the bill still works out cheaper than getting the same stuff locally - and I actually live on mainland Scotland...)
Where logic won't work, I will

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 14, 2016 6:28 pm

ncf1 wrote:Wow.. wish they'd bring out the entire range, make it collectible at least.. I started with the mini ones when they came out but they were a bit too fiddly for my fingers and so stopped.
You know what I'd LOVE to see, although it'd probably censored off original G&W collectors with big collections. Nintendo re-releasing the entire collection as they were, and release one every month with a little magazine, like those month by month collectable series :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:20 pm

kiwimike wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Wow.. wish they'd bring out the entire range, make it collectible at least.. I started with the mini ones when they came out but they were a bit too fiddly for my fingers and so stopped.
You know what I'd LOVE to see, although it'd probably censored off original G&W collectors with big collections. Nintendo re-releasing the entire collection as they were, and release one every month with a little magazine, like those month by month collectable series :)
Brilliant idea, and I for one would collect them! And perhaps as an idea releasing them as dual games, with the option of choosing the "updated" version, or original game.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun May 15, 2016 5:52 am

ncf1 wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
Brilliant idea, and I for one would collect them! And perhaps as an idea releasing them as dual games, with the option of choosing the "updated" version, or original game.
Yep, should something like that emerge I would subscribe and collect the lot, and unlike most of those things wouldn't give up after a few issues either! :lol: I have a few original G&Ws still, about a dozen or so I think, but only three MIB. But collected back in the day when it was fun to just find them in second hand stores etc...nowadays they do too expensive in online auctions. So the chance to get the set, albeit not in first edition, with magazines on the history, IMO would be bloody awesome

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 am

I was like you kiwimike, searching around places and finding gold in the form of G&W's people didn't realise were becoming valuable, and you'd find them everywhere. Suddenly though .. all gone, with the advent of Ebay. Nowadays you might find one on a rare occasion in Cash Converters but its sure not going to be in any sort of condition you would want it to be in!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 15, 2016 2:25 pm

I saw them today. Looked a little small and a little cheap...like VMUs crossed with a Tamagotchi clone. Hmmmm. Iceland is BANG next door to my Lidl. 4 pint cans of Carlsberg Export got my £4 in the end. Might've been a mistake, I don't know.