Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by stvd » Thu May 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To my mind only 4 people have been permanently banned
Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

That's a small number for a decade.
I think that there has been cause/opportunity to add to that in recent years and the fact that some individuals weren't banned affected the forum (for me at least).
Some of whom were seemingly protected despite their behaviour.

And the ones mentioned probably didn't deserve to be banned.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu May 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Lost Dragon

I can understand why those other members were sent off on horseback, but to the best of my knowledge lost dragon wasn't actually banned , he asked for his account to be closed by PSJ and not banned for any given reason other than by himself, so your mistaken Darran, it's possibly you banned the account thereafter but not at the time For own reasons. But without going against the establishment here, there are members here that have gotten away with blue ar$e murder weather it be sniping other members or been down right rude to each other with bias perspectives, something I don't think should be tolerated after a 3 strike your out rule set that doesn't exist here. Marko I feel has the foothold on how things should be dealt and then take action.

There are some really decent people here and ones that have left simply because of situations that escalate into war zone and as a long term member and buyer of the magazine don't enjoy seeing or reading about, especially with a commercial magazine shouldn't have this type of carry on, so I think a readdress of the house is in order of priority of those that should be banned and those crossing the line when ever it suits them.
Last edited by Greyfox on Thu May 12, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 12, 2016 1:31 pm

The Forums fine.

Any Forum worth its salt has its characters for good or bad.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

Surprised that chap who tried to erase the forum wasn't perma-banned. What about Mr. Vengeance? Or Krusty?!? :shock: .

Also, no idea what Lost Dragon ever did to warrant being banned...always came across like a nice, knowlegable type to me. :|
David wrote:I don't have any enemies :(
Ross/Lost Dragon wasn't banned he asked for his account to be removed... I believe Ross works on Greyfoxs mag and has interviewed lots of people in the industry.. I spoke to Lost Dragon only yesterday he's bought a PS4 and is back into gaming..

I keep hearing that Krusty, Chiptune/Actraiser dubs/Karnov/Dubstar and Veng still post here not sure who they post as, if that is indeed true, I know everybody thought Van Helsing was Krusty... I thought the Master was banned after he came back as the Kong Beast, as well as Captain N, East Coast Eric(all his posts where removed), Kiss Fan, Minerals And Devious all went under the ban hammer..

I thought Krusty was hilariously funny as he always posted in character as Pennywise and I would cry with laughter between the exchanges between Beans and Karnov..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:43 pm

markopoloman wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Shinobi wrote: PC Gamers derailing console threads when the same is done in the PC topics they don't like it.
THIS

this has crippled my enjoyment of the forum loads over the last year or so.

Where there are PC users chatting about PC stuff in some of the PC related threads I stay out of it... its their platform of choice and thats great, but they constantly get involved in discussions about Console gaming - often derailing them utterly. This has deffo cut down my use of the forum.
It's annoying - and it is someones point of view. I don't see what the problem is with just skimming past something you don't like and carrying on with the thread. If someone like Outdated Gamer comes in with a PC quote in a console thread - ignore it. If someone comes into a C64 vs Speccy thread and talks Amstrad or Atari 800 I'd love to ban them but simply cant justify doing it!!
Dude, I'm not expecting or even wanting people like outdated gamer to get banned for having an opinion I don't agree with. I'm simply agreeing with Shinobi's statement that PC owners derailing console threads is common place and that it has stunted my enjoyment of the forum and is one factor in my decreased attendance here in the last year.
Incidentally whist outdated gamer has the loudest voice of the PC elite he is far from the only one on this forum - I've always said that when outdated gamer is posting about PC stuff - especially retro PC games - he can be a genuinely interesting poster.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:53 pm

pratty wrote:Not trying to pick a fight with planetmatt, but this is his first post since August last year, and only his third post since October 2013. And he wonders why it's in decline. :? Maybe the forum would be more active and less in decline if people posted more themselves.

I don't mind people mentioning the forum ain't what it used to be, but it does irk me a bit when people complain about the forum being dull and inactive while they themselves do nothing about it, it's always someone else's fault, other people's posts aren't up to their standards, other people aren't starting worthwhile topics, other people have failed to inspire them to post. If people don't want to post or don't have much to say that's fine, but don't make 2 posts in 3 years, and only pop up again to tell the rest of us what a bad job we're doing of entertaining you.
Bang on the money, pratty. Absolutely spot on. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:33 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote: As for Gman72 - whatever arguments we had over a year ago, were resolved quite a while ago as far as I'm concerned. If he still has a problem with me, then it must be a private issue that he's not told me about, as we've kind of talked through it briefly in IRC and IM. I certainly have done my bit and not made any personal attacks on him.
I don't do private problems. If I have a problem I usually air it. Yes, as far as I'm concerned we've put the children to bed. Whilst I may disagree with you on some issues I'm most certainly done scrapping with you... I thought that was understood?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu May 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

Its is a small number but koopa and lost dragon/vulture were definitely in the top 10 most entertaining/knowledgeable/honest posters to ever be on here and they are sadly missed.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu May 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Cheers Gman, though maybe I saw at planetmatt's post in a harsh light, but I still think it's ironic if you don't have the time or motivation to post in nearly a year, and hardly at all in 3 years, but you've suddenly got the time and motivation to post about the decline of the forum because people have left and are no longer posting. If the forum is only as good as the posts then not posting isn't going to help.

I don't have an issue with people commentating on the state for the forum and perceiving an overall decline, because the majority that do are at least "in the game" so to speak, not sitting on the sideline waiting for others to entertain them.

And theres nothing wrong with lurking and enjoying the forum silently, but to then log in just to say how dull it is just seems a bit rude. I myself haven't been as active in the games section because I haven't been playing as much or keeping up with the news as much, and that's fine, but I don't blame it on other people that are at least posting and trying to keep discussion going.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Is it ironic that this thread is always the most active and frequently posted in whenever it is resurrected on an annual basis? :|

I do remember the days when you'd struggle to keep up with all the replies in a great number of threads just in one section of the forum alone. Now on some days, you can log in and only 3-5 threads have been bumped since the last visit.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:21 pm

pratty wrote:Cheers Gman, though maybe I saw at planetmatt's post in a harsh light, but I still think it's ironic if you don't have the time or motivation to post in nearly a year, and hardly at all in 3 years, but you've suddenly got the time and motivation to post about the decline of the forum because people have left and are no longer posting. If the forum is only as good as the posts then not posting isn't going to help.
He's entitled to an opinion. I've been posting here for 9 years and I've never seen him post before.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu May 12, 2016 3:27 pm

I've been a member here for a long time but only started posting regularly a couple of years back but I like it here. Forums have all struggled over the years (I blame Twitter) but RG is still going and there are enough threads that I'm interested in.

Back when forums were really popular, retro gaming forums were the worst. I think the angry pedant stereotypes all end up tiring themselves out or flouncing over time anyway.

The best forums have all dried up a little, so just be glad this place is still around.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:00 pm

stvd wrote:
Koopa
Weblaus
Dreamcastrip
Lost Dragon

I think that there has been cause/opportunity to add to that in recent years and the fact that some individuals weren't banned affected the forum (for me at least).
Some of whom were seemingly protected despite their behaviour.

And the ones mentioned probably didn't deserve to be banned.
The only thing that let Koops down was developing the persecution complex that played a large part in his banning. Other than that, I had a lot of time for him. Knowledgeable, passionate and never boring.

DCRip on the other hand - know-it-all, snidey, oneupmanship, must have the last word, passive-aggressive, snobbish, weaselly, underhanded, dismissive, stubborn... good effing riddance.

Who was Weblaus?

dste

Post by dste » Thu May 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:DCRip on the other hand - know-it-all, snidey, oneupmanship, must have the last word, passive-aggressive, snobbish, weaselly, underhanded, dismissive, stubborn... good effing riddance.
I'm totally confused mate, did you like DCRip or not?

David wrote:Oooh the excitement!!! :lol:
Yeah, unfortunately I wouldn't get too excited. It's taken me all this time just to decide that I'm your enemy and to be honest I cannot be bothered to put that much effort into it. I'll probably just accuse you of being a Nintendo fanboy and then get angry in a random thread and then put myself on block.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu May 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:I do remember the days when you'd struggle to keep up with all the replies in a great number of threads just in one section of the forum alone. Now on some days, you can log in and only 3-5 threads have been bumped since the last visit.
Those were the days :(