Is the forum in decline?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by gman72 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Shinobi wrote: PC Gamers derailing console threads when the same is done in the PC topics they don't like it.
THIS

this has crippled my enjoyment of the forum loads over the last year or so.

Where there are PC users chatting about PC stuff in some of the PC related threads I stay out of it... its their platform of choice and thats great, but they constantly get involved in discussions about Console gaming - often derailing them utterly. This has deffo cut down my use of the forum.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
I can't remember the last time I wanted somebody's fingers to break so badly. . The fact that you even waste your time coming here trying super hard to convince yourself that your not just some guy on the internet on a forum which your universally disliked, " shows me you are in fact a person that has no positive impact on society. You easily rank as the most egotistical person I have ever seen since I've been here. Your delusions are by far a testament to your mental disorder that you obviously have, and I implore you to seek professional help.
:lol: What an extraordinary unprovoked and random outburst. You seem to be having a hard time of it lately.

You and I have hardly ever spoken, and the last time we did, you made similar daft remarks, but then apologised and said someone had put you up to it to troll me. You've done this to another poster on here as well I've noticed, Elgin_Mcqueen. You seem very angry at the world. Thanks for the medical advice.

I'm going off to bed now with my girlfriend.
Before this get blown into reported threads/posts etc.
Shinobi - you may not like Sephiroth81 and there are others here that don't, BUT that was an uncalled for response to a post that has no malice. I'm sure you have commented in the past about your own issues, so I'm sure accusing another forum member of having mental health issues is not the best thing to be doing.
Is the forum in decline? Well, posts like this will have the desired effect. Please refrain from personal attacks on other forum members.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 pm

gman72 wrote:
Shinobi wrote: PC Gamers derailing console threads when the same is done in the PC topics they don't like it.
THIS

Where there are PC users chatting about PC stuff in some of the PC related threads I stay out of it... its their platform of choice and thats great, but they constantly get involved in discussions about Console gaming - often derailing them utterly. This has deffo cut down my use of the forum.
It's annoying - and it is someones point of view. I don't see what the problem is with just skimming past something you don't like and carrying on with the thread. If someone like Outdated Gamer comes in with a PC quote in a console thread - ignore it. If someone comes into a C64 vs Speccy thread and talks Amstrad or Atari 800 I'd love to ban them but simply cant justify doing it!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:40 pm

JazzFunk wrote:It's usually always one for me. But one always feels like an army of them, hehe. Time to cleanse my mind for a bit and talk about the best version(s) of Doom...

I haven't been on here in a bit, though. Does Crunchy still post?

I know what people mean by same old, same old...but it's in the DNA of retro gaming. It goes with the territory. Like, there's a C64 vs Speccy thread right now...and it's a bad thing but also a good thing. Ya can't win.

Let's all go play sticky biscuit with a tape copy of Horace Goes Skiing and sod the rest of whatever's going on everywhere and anywhere. ;)

I've been told that Crunchy does still post here - but under a different user name..............................................................

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 pm

joefish wrote:Well one user has been logged in all day spawning spam thread after spam thread and nothing's been done about it.
So yes, the forum's in decline.
There is spam every day. The difference at the mo is psj has taken a break. So we are a mod/spam killer down. Just report any spammers and I will delete as soon as poss :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:43 pm

aztecca wrote:In my opinion yes.Compared to a few years back its declined a hell of a lot.The last couple of years especially it has gone down hill a lot in every way.Thats just my personal opinion though.
I miss the rest of the 7 too (even though some of them would not miss me :lol: )

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 11, 2016 8:12 pm

You guys are pretty much on top of the spam as far as I can see - either that or you get to it pretty quick. Remember the old days with all that damn Cheap MDF rubbish spam?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 11, 2016 8:42 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Before this get blown into reported threads/posts etc.
Shinobi - you may not like Sephiroth81 and there are others here that don't, BUT that was an uncalled for response to a post that has no malice. I'm sure you have commented in the past about your own issues, so I'm sure accusing another forum member of having mental health issues is not the best thing to be doing.
Is the forum in decline? Well, posts like this will have the desired effect. Please refrain from personal attacks on other forum members.
My apologies Marko your the voice of reason in all this:). Won't happen again l admit I don't like him and allowed my personal feelings to cloud my judgement.. I can fully appreciate your situation and the difficult situation forum disputes puts you and the other mods in when your left to deal with the resulting fallout..

You've always been an incredibly fair mod and I do appreciate everything you do for the good of the forum including some of the extra workload I cause you.. I've re-read and re-edit this post several so nothing Untoward I hope..

I do love the forum only place I still visit these days and Jamma plus and subscribe to the mag so
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu May 12, 2016 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 11, 2016 8:52 pm

gman72 wrote:
THIS

Agreed If everybody left the gaming thread just to talk about games for that machine everybody would be a lot happier...

I think this gen is groundbreaking so many amazing games and a leap in graphics compared to the jump from Snes to PS1.. Playing stuff like Uncharted 4 And having full control and Hollywood quality story's I would have never dreamt off.. Even little touches like the light reflecting off Water..
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu May 12, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed May 11, 2016 10:06 pm

markopoloman wrote:I've been told that Crunchy does still post here - but under a different user name..............................................................
Are we allowed any clues???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 am

JazzFunk wrote:
markopoloman wrote:I've been told that Crunchy does still post here - but under a different user name..............................................................
Are we allowed any clues???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Indeed he walks among us. :wink:
As does Koopa42, who foresaw his ban many months in advance and took appropriate steps.
And so does DreamcastRIP though he would deny it.
And several other members who just needed a break or a cleaner slate or whatever.

It's not just the threads that get recycled around here. :shock:

Krusty? The forum boogeyman. I think he's here always. In spirit. Waiting to nibble your posting toes if you leave them sticking out of the forum bed.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu May 12, 2016 2:46 am

Wait... Koops, if you are here that means the Bones pact is back on.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:59 am

Shinobi wrote:
My apologies Marko it won't happen again letting my dislike for him cloud my judgement.. I can fully appreciate yourself and the other mods are your left to deal with the resulting fallout..
Err, apology accepted...

One of your original edits of this post was at least more refreshing and honest.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 am

Definitely in decline.

Most of the people who are banned were the ones most passionate about retro gaming. You ban them and all you're left with is the dull homogeneous middle ground group think. This makes for a pretty dull environment. Forum gets duller and even more people leave and before you know it, you're circling the drain.
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 am

planetmatt wrote:Definitely in decline.

Most of the people who are banned were the ones most passionate about retro gaming. You ban them and all you're left with is the dull homogeneous middle ground group think. This makes for a pretty dull environment. Forum gets duller and even more people leave and before you know it, you're circling the drain.
Eloquently put! :lol:

Pretty much agree though, this place is a shadow of its former self.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)