Sega Master System Probems??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetrolixusMcD

Sega Master System Probems??

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sun May 08, 2016 6:19 am

Hi all, has anybody ever had this screen before? I have tried cleaning the contacts as I do with any recent purchase which had some grime on, but does this message mean the rom chip itself is knackered? any fix?
cheers

learnedrobb

Re: Sega Master System Probems??

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 08, 2016 6:57 am

Have you cleaned the cartridge connector inside the SMS? That error usually means the carts physical connection to the system isn't right.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 am

Try another cart?

Teddy boy isnt exactly an expensive game

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 am

SMS cartridge contacts get very worn (a lot more than other systems for some reason) and some of them can be very difficult, if not impossible, to get working which is one of the main reasons why I use a flashcart.

If you haven't got any other games, just take a look at the cart pins. If the gold plating has worn off, then the cartridge is the most likely culprit.

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sun May 08, 2016 8:37 am

thanks all for the replies, I have cleaned the cart itself, all of the gold pins with 99% isopropyl which I use for most games, all other carts are working fine, this was a recent purchase on ebay and the seller says he didn't test it etc.

I haven't tried cleaning the cart receiver inside the console? how would I go about that? otherwise I'll probably just try and get another copy or try and get it on the card.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 am

cotton wool buds are your friend, i always keep a supply of them.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Problems? Mainly flickery sprites poor conversions when compared to its big brother.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm

RetrolixusMcD wrote:thanks all for the replies, I have cleaned the cart itself, all of the gold pins with 99% isopropyl which I use for most games, all other carts are working fine, this was a recent purchase on ebay and the seller says he didn't test it etc.

I haven't tried cleaning the cart receiver inside the console? how would I go about that? otherwise I'll probably just try and get another copy or try and get it on the card.
on ebay 99% of the time untested means 'not working.

cleaning the cart slot on the machine is not going to do any harm

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:59 pm

You could try cleaning out cartridge slot with air duster as well (you can get it from poundland).

I wonder how many ebay sellers put untested when they really mean not working?

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sun May 08, 2016 6:06 pm

thanks again peeps, indeed, I can't stand it when people do that on ebay, I always test etc before selling as if nothing else its a pain in the ass to do refunds etc, plus want to get good feedback, thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm going to get some thinner cotton buds and will try an air sprayer too once I take off the case etc.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 09, 2016 6:44 am

For cleaning cart slots, you can also:

1. Use a very thin cloth, damp with cleaner, folded around something like a credit card so you can push it in and out (oo-er!) of the slot to clean the contacts.

2. get the contacts of a cartridge damp with cleaner and then insert/remove it a few times. Obviously you won't want it too wet with this method. I managed to get a dodgy GBA cart slot working properly with this method.
Last edited by Megamixer on Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon May 09, 2016 7:15 am

RetrolixusMcD wrote:thanks again peeps, indeed, I can't stand it when people do that on ebay, I always test etc before selling as if nothing else its a pain in the ass to do refunds etc, plus want to get good feedback, thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm going to get some thinner cotton buds and will try an air sprayer too once I take off the case etc.
Sometimes it works out. I got a working SMS1 for £10 because it was sold as untested.

And, in this case, the game is the problem rather the console. A lot of SMS games have worn cartridge pins and, sooner or later, they stop working.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 am

RetrolixusMcD wrote:thanks again peeps, indeed, I can't stand it when people do that on ebay, I always test etc before selling as if nothing else its a pain in the ass to do refunds etc, plus want to get good feedback, thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm going to get some thinner cotton buds and will try an air sprayer too once I take off the case etc.
I know what you mean dude, not limited to ebay either as I am waiting for a non ebay seller to agree to a refund

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Mon May 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Megamixer wrote:For cleaning cart slots, you can also:

1. Use a very thin cloth, damp with cleaner, folded around something like a credit card so you can push it in and out (oo-er!) of the slot to clean the contacts.

2. get the contacts of a cartridge damp with cleaner and then insert/remove it a few times. Obviously you won't want it too wet with this method. I managed to get a dodgy GBA cart slot working properly with this method.
which cleaner would you use? isopropyl or something else?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 09, 2016 3:08 pm

RetrolixusMcD wrote:
Megamixer wrote:For cleaning cart slots, you can also:

which cleaner would you use? isopropyl or something else?
That's what I use. The 99% alcohol one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.