What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Rayne » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:59 am

These two arrived today! Really chuffed to have got them so cheap, can't wait to play them!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 am

Rayne wrote:Image

These two arrived today! Really chuffed to have got them so cheap, can't wait to play them!
Action Unleashed is a beautiful looking Dynasty Warriors style game. I've not played a huge amount of it but I loved what I have played so far.

Only new purchase for me this week is Star Fox Zero for the Wii U. I've got the first print run version on its way to me so I should hopefully have it to play for my days off this weekend.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:46 am

Metro Redux Collection (PS4 Store) - Sale is on at the PS Store both games for less than a tenner, been on my list for a while. There is also a bundle with Saints Row 4....too bad I already own that.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Mario Kart Wii all complete for £3.
Going Solo...................

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:24 am

Received my PC Engine Duo R today to replace my old PC Engine Duo (which is now up for sale in the Trading Corner :wink: ). I can now finally play through my CD based games with full audio, I spent most of this afternoon "testing" it with Dracula X which is still my favourite of the Castlevania series.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:27 pm

A pack of GBA box protectors. Don't have many games left now but what I do have are near mint and definitely keepers so I thought it was time to keep them a little safer.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Star fox zero arrived this week... yet to put it in the machine as I know ill struggle with the controls.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Picked up PS3 GTA San Andreas for £13.01 from gameseek...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:31 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:Picked up PS3 GTA San Andreas for £13.01 from gameseek...
I hope you have better fortunes with that port than I did. I'll quote myself from the PS3 Collecting thread:
Megamixer wrote:Been playing a lot of the disc version of GTA San Andreas. Up to the San Fiero side of things already and probably could have gotten there even faster if not for messing about and generally having fun. Anyway, thought I'd share a few quick impressions for anybody curious about picking it up...

Pros

- The graphics are ever-so-slightly better than on the PS2. It looks sharper and some textures/surfaces look notably superior so there's either been a modest tarting-up of the aesthetics or this version is actually based on the Xbox/PC editions which were better looking. In any case, it's a not an earth-shattering improvement by any means but it's better than nothing.

- The front end menu, pause menu and menus within stores etc. look refreshed/different and are easier to use.

- Controls are more like GTA V's so using the triggers to drive the vehicles is better than the old PS2 control scheme.

Cons

- There are numerous audio glitches such as the loading screen music abruptly cutting out around 75% of the way through loading the game from the start menu. Biggest of all however is an annoying radio station glitch; when exiting a vehicle and then getting back in (even straight away), the radio broadcast nearly always seems to go backwards so you end up hearing the same stuff again and again if you're entering/exiting a vehicle quite frequently. Music will tend to have completely switched to something else but it's definitely a major issue with the talk show channels.

- I've encountered a few lock-ups that require a reset of the console. Two happened in quick succession for no apparent reason.

- Some of the default settings are a bit irritating. Sound effects were set waaaaay too loud versus the in-car radio for example and the camera position - by default - is set high up above the car. Obviously you can fiddle with all this in the settings and get it back to what passes for normal.

- When aiming to shoot, you either have the old-school auto lock-on or free-aim but not a combination of both (unless I'm mistaken). Free aim should be better but the reticule will always automatically slide over to a target, making it impossible to freely shoot a certain person when the reticule refuses to stop floating over to a different enemy.

Overall, the game itself is as brilliant as it ever was and I'm really enjoying revisiting San Andreas. It's just a shame that this version generally feels a really unstable with the lock-ups I've experienced and the audio bugs. The radio station one in particular is really crappy because it makes listening to the likes of WCTR pretty much unbearable when you have to keep hearing the same stuff over and over, as if the last few minutes of radio time is destined to keep repeating itself. I paid £20 for this because a) I wanted to know what the hell this version was exactly (the box is simply identical to the original release) and b) I just happened to have the budget that day to risk it but I would say it's worth closer to £10 or whatever the price of the digital download is. It's convenient and better-looking than the PS2 version but I wouldn't bin the latter just yet because it doesn't contain a lot of the glitching that I've encountered.
Megamixer wrote:Mini update on the PS3 version of San Andreas: I've officially had enough now thanks to various niggling bugs. Last night for example, I found at the flight school was bugged. I thought I'd go for the complete set of gold medals to unlock the Hunter but upon cycling through the available challenges, the game consistently locked-up and froze when switching between two specific missions. No idea if this was just a coincidence but it seemed far too specific to be a coinicidence when it happened at exactly the same point either side of a console reset. The game isn't horribly broken but I think I'd rather stick with the slightly creakier PS2 version which I don't remember coming with these issues.
Megamixer wrote:Well I imagine that the flight school being bugged might stop you from achieving the 100%? I can't find mention of this on the internet but it seems odd that the same lock-up happened to me twice during the exact same moment.

You could probably do it with persistence but the whole damn game just feels so unstable with stuttering when trying to access the pause menu, the numerous bugs that I mentioned on the previous page, the random lock-ups and just general weird quirks like cars shaking under acceleration, no free camera controls for planes/helicopters etc. etc.

I read that the previous XBLA version on the 360 was actually a modified port of the iOS version! Some of the problems I have experienced in the PS3 version match the issues reported for that edition (including the freezing) so it could well be that they have simply slapped the same game onto a disc without resolving the technical gremlins.

I was initally prepared to overlook a few problems but the more and more I've played the game, the more it has annoyed me. I'm disappointed that Rockstar released the game like this but I can see why they have done so. Probably a quick, outsourced conversion put out in time for Christmas '15.

I would suggest waiting for the price to fall nearer the £10 mark just in case you experience a similar number of issues...
I was really enjoying replaying this game again from the start on newer hardware but every postive was outweighed by a needless negative. If it is indeed a lazy modified version of the iOS port then I'm not surprised. I just got way to annoyed with it in the end and decided to stick with the older PS2 version.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Some more Vita pickups today:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:13 am

Rayne wrote:Some more Vita pickups today:

3 of those games are xcellent, and then there is cod :lol: not that cod is the worst game ever, but they completely passed a way the chance at the vita being the portable platform for the franchise with a rushed, so so game (I still got some enjoyment out of it).
Dj. Ax on the other hand is quite possibly the best game on the vita, I've lost count of the time spent on that game.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:08 am

ShadowMan wrote:

3 of those games are xcellent, and then there is cod :lol: not that cod is the worst game ever, but they completely passed a way the chance at the vita being the portable platform for the franchise with a rushed, so so game (I still got some enjoyment out of it).
Dj. Ax on the other hand is quite possibly the best game on the vita, I've lost count of the time spent on that game.
Well funny story behind the bundle, I was looking for DJ MAX as I LOVE Rhythm games. It's about 35 - 40 so I was going to hold off...until I found a listing for 'Vita Bundle'. All of these only cost me 30 quid :shock: it's like I got a discount on DJ MAx and 3 free games! :lol:

Was going to sell COD on but after reading some player reviews I'll give it a fair shot. I actually really enjoyed Resistance on Vita and this is made by the same team...not expecting console quality but for a quick blast it might not be so bad. Right? Maybe? Ah well, there's always Killzone :D

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:19 am

Lovely condition boxes 2600jnr with a 32 in 1 cart for a tenner.
Little Big Planet 2 ps3 £1
Wii remote chargeable battery new £1
Going Solo...................

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 am

Rayne wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:

Well funny story behind the bundle, I was looking for DJ MAX as I LOVE Rhythm games. It's about 35 - 40 so I was going to hold off...until I found a listing for 'Vita Bundle'. All of these only cost me 30 quid :shock: it's like I got a discount on DJ MAx and 3 free games! :lol:

Was going to sell COD on but after reading some player reviews I'll give it a fair shot. I actually really enjoyed Resistance on Vita and this is made by the same team...not expecting console quality but for a quick blast it might not be so bad. Right? Maybe? Ah well, there's always Killzone :D
That's a real bargain, as unless its dropped in price COD alone usually goes for £15ish so you could probably make most of your money back on selling that game alone if it doesn't click with you.
I found that COD ran better than Resistance (performance wise) but I much preferred the weapons in Resistance which were somewhat unique and really fun to use.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:16 am

^ Good to know!

Anyway, traded in one of my 360's and a load of junk games and wound up getting a pre-owned super slim 500 GB PS3 with two controllers and:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
Haze
Killzone 3
Red Dead Redemption GOTY
Resi 5 Gold
Resistance 3

Got a nice surprise when I got it home to find that the PS3 was actually brand new!! Whether new stock was in an old box, or someone just never used it I don't know...but I'm not complaining!!!