Silent Bomber (PS1)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Silent Bomber (PS1)

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:04 pm

Been going through my collection of unplayed PS1 games and got to Silent Bomber. All I can say is "wow". The visuals are clearly 32bit and jaggy (but quite acceptable) but everything shifts at a really quick pace with zero slowdown no matter the number of enemies and explosions.

Talking of the explosions, they are surely the biggest and most enjoyable thumping blasts in a game with the pad vibration going into overdrive whenever something huge goes up :D

There are a variety of power-up bombs too that have different effects such as napalm, gravity (sucks enemies in and they swirl around for a bit) and a paralysis bomb which temporarily disables enemies.

It's a difficult game at points and pretty hardcore but such good fun. Anybody else really enjoy Silent Bomber?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Re: Silent Bomber (PS1)

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 am

I remember a demo on one of the magazine discs and really enjoyed it.

When I trimmed down my PS1 collection I kept this as I always intended to return , despite getting stuck on something really early on that was probably really easy (I did the same with C12 ) but I just couldn't figure it out and it annoyed me that I couldn't see it.

I liked the lock on style , a bit like Afterburner/Panzer Dragoon and a little bomberman style planning too. Not sure it was much of a hit but I still have a soft spot for it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:24 am

Yeah, I enjoyed that one too. Sold my entire collection of PS1 tunes a few months ago but I can remember Silent Bomber as a stand out title.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:58 am

Big fan of Silent Bomber, and I was extremely pleased to see it voted into our Top 25 PlayStation Games feature. Not just pleased, but surprised, given the omission of more obvious choices such as Crash Bandicoot.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 am

Excellent game. If only Hudson could have evolved Bomberman into something as enjoyable as this.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

TheVision

Post by TheVision » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 pm

I loved Silent Bomber but never actually completed it. It was quite long if I remember.

It's a shame that it's reliant on the dual analogue sticks as that means I can't play it on a modded PSP.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:23 pm

TheVision wrote:I loved Silent Bomber but never actually completed it. It was quite long if I remember.

It's a shame that it's reliant on the dual analogue sticks as that means I can't play it on a modded PSP.
The right stick isn't actually used (I just checked the manual for reference). Movement is controlled by the left stick as is aiming :)

Mission-wise, I believe there are 26 to complete. I think I'm on the 11th or 12th - something in that region.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:05 pm

And now a disaster! Game refuses to load the cutscene after the Mission 11 boss (which took a lot of retries for me to beat I might add) and hangs on a black screen. Reset the console and fought my way through the entire level and boss battle again but the same thing happened.

Had a look on the internet and apparently this was a common problem with this game even back on release. Guess I have a bugged copy that wasn't replaced then! Bah.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:42 pm

That's pretty bad. What version of the game do you have? I played the play.it budget range version and that worked perfectly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:That's pretty bad. What version of the game do you have? I played the play.it budget range version and that worked perfectly.
Original release. I couldn't find the forum/site that I looked at yesterday but somebody claimed they had to return the game four times to get a working copy back in 1999! I'm assuming the issue would certainly have been fixed for the re-release and that there must just have been a large batch of faulty pressings. With it being a pretty hardcore game, I wouldn't be surprised if people gave up before Mission 11 and shelved it without ever returning it to the store for a replacement (or knowing that they needed to).

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I really enjoyed what I played of it but never got that far. I was also impressed by the demo years ago

My brother said he had a problem with the game but I'm sure it was much later on?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I really enjoyed what I played of it but never got that far. I was also impressed by the demo years ago

My brother said he had a problem with the game but I'm sure it was much later on?
All I know is that every hit when I search for the freezing glitch mentions Mission 11. There are 26 overall I think.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 am

Megamixer wrote:And now a disaster! Game refuses to load the cutscene after the Mission 11 boss (which took a lot of retries for me to beat I might add) and hangs on a black screen. Reset the console and fought my way through the entire level and boss battle again but the same thing happened.

Had a look on the internet and apparently this was a common problem with this game even back on release. Guess I have a bugged copy that wasn't replaced then! Bah.
A similar thing happen to me mine was a promo version I had off a friend who worked in Game, can't remember what level it was as its been a while.. Have you played Red Star I think it was done by the same people... Saw Silent Bomber in a charity shop last week but didn't pick it up due to it being known to crash I wonder if the platinium/budget release solves the mission 11 bug..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:37 am

Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:And now a disaster! Game refuses to load the cutscene after the Mission 11 boss (which took a lot of retries for me to beat I might add) and hangs on a black screen. Reset the console and fought my way through the entire level and boss battle again but the same thing happened.

A similar thing happen to me mine was a promo version I had off a friend who worked in Game, can't remember what level it was as its been a while.. Have you played Red Star I think it was done by the same people... Saw Silent Bomber in a charity shop last week but didn't pick it up due to it being known to crash I wonder if the platinium/budget release solves the mission 11 bug..
Yeah it does. THe budget label version I had worked perfectly.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 am

Maybe the glitch is why I haven't been back to it. It's been a while and I do remember being very frustrated by it.

Is there any way to transfer game saves from PS1 Memory card to PS3? Could save me some hassles on other games.