Cards from tea bags

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Cards from tea bags

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Remember when the likes of PG Tips and Typhoo used to include collectable cards inside their packs of tea bags? There were loads and loads of different sets to collect over the years.

Recently unearthed a few loose cards from the 'Creatures of Legend with Kevin Tips' (from PG Tips) collection and ended up buying a complete set off ebay, in the album, for just a few quid. I do like the art on the cards.

I have a few more full sets somewhere too. Anybody else remember these? Shame that you rarely get any free things or collectables in teabags, cereal or crisps these days!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Belgarath

Re: Cards from tea bags

Post by Belgarath » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm

I've still got my Unexplained Mysteries of the World one from PG tips, complete set as well although I remember one card was seemingly impossible to get and my older sister knew a guy who had a complete set, he must have liked her because he gave her the card to give to me :)

I vaguely remember my m8 had a wall chart, must have been PG tips again, showed countries of the world that drank tea and what the name was for tea in their language. Funny the things you remember.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm

I sent a full Ninja Turtles set as part of secret santa a couple of years ago. Brooke Bond (I think)
Going Solo...................

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I sent a full Ninja Turtles set as part of secret santa a couple of years ago. Brooke Bond (I think)
Got a complete set of Turtles ones a year or so ago from an RG Secret Santa. Well happy :)
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:22 pm

I've got a complete set of the Creature of Legends Monster cards with that Kevin Tips fellow on the back.. There the one's with Siren, Frankenstein's Monster, Vlad the Impaler etc

I've also got 1000's of cigarette cards which my Grandfather left for me Faye Raye(from King Kong), Judy Garland etc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 pm

themightymartin wrote:
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:I sent a full Ninja Turtles set as part of secret santa a couple of years ago. Brooke Bond (I think)
Got a complete set of Turtles ones a year or so ago from an RG Secret Santa. Well happy :)
That was me then :)
Going Solo...................

iprice

Post by iprice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 pm

I had albums and posters filled with the PG Tips cards. Complete sets from the early 1980s onwards. I regret getting rid of them now, but I wouldn't replace them as they wouldn't be "mine" - the cards that I personally collected and longed for, feeling the anticipation every time someone opened a new PG TIps box, hoping I'd get a new card and not a duplicate. Those were the days! :D
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 am

Yeah, i have a few sets up in the attic somewhere. I'll see if i can find them and take a few pics. I used to have loads and loads of them as a kid. Just a few albums left now though. My dad still has my granddad's cigarette cards. There was some nice artwork on those puppies.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I've got a set of Turtle ones.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 pm

I've got two or three completed books and some cards.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

I remember the Unexplained Mysteries Of The World series and still have a number of the cards and I have a few of the Creatures Of Legend series.

I have fond memories of my Grandmother giving me my first few cards! :D
Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Ive got a cigarette tin bursting with old animal ones and repoduction ones of cars (although I think these ones were from Cigarettes) on my walls, its a shame you dont see them anymore as it might get more kids off the fizz.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Was there a set of these for deadly creatures or something? I seem to remember having a cards of an angler fish and tunnel spider at some point.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 pm

You see collections original and reproductions framed and put on walls often.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!