What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:27 pm

necronom wrote:The Walking Dead was great as usual, and Ep.3 of The X Files was really funny. I hope next week's Ep. is as good.
I'm waiting for some' filler' episodes as Walking Dead normally starts off strong and finishes off really well. But in the middle theres often some crap. Still with Negan hopefully in it at some point it should be a great season.

That reminds me i need to catch up with Z Nation, no way nearly as good as WD but quite amusing and pretty watchable

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:49 pm

I caught up with more of the new X-Files.

Episode 2 = okay.
Episode 3 = tries to go comical. That was a difficult balance with some of the old X-Files episodes - sometimes they went too far with it. I don't think it worked with the Werelizard here.
Episode 4 = Okay - but a lot of stuff unexplained.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:51 pm

More X-Files :-

5 = Okay. Good introduction of new characters. Loved the whole "tripped out" sequence.
6 = Has its moments. Perhaps meanders towards its storyline's plot points. Good cliffhanger though.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:02 pm

The People vs OJ Simpson and The Night Manager, both strong opening episodes I thought, will keep watching them both.

I gather it's mostly a serious show but I've never watched X-Files until this new series, so while that 3rd episode may have seemed out of place to some I just enjoyed it for what is was, I thought it was hilarious.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Watched Pixels with Mrs Ant this aft.

Not terrible, just run of the mill romcom stuff with some videogame refs.

Better than I expected tbh. And Mrs Ant suggested we watch it having seen the trailer.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Mad Max : Fury Road - Wasn't sure what to make of this at first. I did enjoy it - as reboots go. I suppose, what I liked was the car sequences - they felt so real, and there was balletic quality to the crashes and so on. Thin on plot and story - but as a sort of pared down B and road movie - it worked. Be interesting to see what happens in the sequel. And, of course Tom Hardy manages to be a convincing Max.

Misery - The film based on the Stephen King book. I'd never seen it before. I'd seen a few parodies. A pretty good tale of a writer who has a car accident, and then winds up being looked after by his "Number 1 fan". Kathy Bates is superb as Annie Wilkes. Good cast as well : James Caan, Lauren Bacall and Richard Farnsworth. Ironically, the "N" key on my Macbook's keyboard is a bit wonky! :roll:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Episode 1 of new X-Files. Slow but ok. Roll on No.2

The new mad max was, well a bit pants. Don't know why but I really didn't enjoy it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Bloodsucking Paroahs in Pitsburgh completely hatstand very funny but quite gory..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Watched Frankenweenie with the kids, so glad they are no longer terrified of films, we've rattled through some stop motion classics recently, Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, Paranorman, Box Trolls & Corpse Bride.

All good stuff.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Halo: The Fall of Reach. Absolute Sh!t. How can a franchise blessed with such a brilliant universe and incredible novels (thank you Eric Nylund!) continue to put out such garbage?! Ignoring the shockingly bad Saturday Morning Cartoon animation and TRYING to forgive the lightning-fast speed, complete loss of subtlety and glossing over of really important parts of the book...IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY SHOW THE FALL OF REACH.

The hell?! That's like Ghostbusters not having any friggin ghosts! So peeved, not at the wasted money but at the wasted opportunity. That's the last thing I buy from the Halo EU.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 pm

Fringe seasons four and five.

All done and dusted now. Season four was a bit odd due to what happened to one of the characters at the end of season three, was good though with having the parallel universe episodes as well. Season five on the other hand not so much. Credit to the writers for changing the format to fit the shorter episode count but overall it just didn't do it for me and whilst the final episode was good overall it was a bit pointless.

I'm glad that I watched the series as I think that it was a good show with great characters and moments and some fab episodes but overall it didn't quite reach the greatness that it could have.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:15 am

Watched the first episode of Rebels to feature Leia. Her role is fine, but I don't quite think they've nailed the look or voice. It's like when a soap replaces a character's actor and they're nothing like the previous one, it doesn't feel like the same person any more.

It's slightly disappointing because the team have done so well with other characters in both Rebels and The Clone Wars (to the point where when I think of Obi Wan, I hear James Arnold Taylor's voice).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 am

dste wrote:I'm glad that I watched the series as I think that it was a good show with great characters and moments and some fab episodes but overall it didn't quite reach the greatness that it could have.
Fringe was an interesting, bizarre at times, show. It had a mix of really very good sci-fi (the one with the house in the time bubble, the alternate universe stuff), some really very good characters and character dynamics (Peter and Walter, Peter and Olivia, Astrid and Walter) and some downright mental stuff (like the green fairy episode). But yeah, not sure if it was great. Maybe it was a bit too all over the place?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Ghostbusters II. Still trying to get the bad taste of the new films trailer out of my mouth, and as much as I love the original, ive a very soft spot for the sequel
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 pm

I don't really like the sequel, I think it's the statue of liberty bit that really bugs me.

Vigo the Carpathian is an awesome bad guy though!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue