Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Will you buy a Spectrum Vega Plus

Yes
21%
No
67%
Can't Decide
12%

Total votes: 82

the_hawk

Re: Spectrum Vega Plus Poll

Post by the_hawk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm afraid the fact that it's manufactured in the UK by a small indie dev is irrelevant if it has less functionality and more expensive than something that was released a decade ago and is readily available at a much lower price.

Even the much derrided Game Gadget had more functionality.

But lots of people seem to be backing it & it's got people who aren't part of the "retro scene" interested so I suppose that's a good thing.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm already on board, in case you've not guessed.

It's not a machine for everyone but it'll be right up the alley of a small specific market. There might be other kit that can do the job, but it wasn't designed by Rick Dickinson, officially licensed from both Sinclair Research and Sky, and endorsed by Sir Clive himself. These things matter to people.

I'd hope that, unlike the original Vega, it keeps selling to the extent that they can put it into mass production and make it a more attractive option for the price conscious gamer.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 pm

It's a 'can't decide' from me- Which is actually a 'haven't decided yet' but that's the closest answer. Need more info on quality and what exactly I can get officially title wise. I am thinking it will probably be a no.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Same here, it will be a no if I find a working spectrum on my travels - but then again I'm not really going out of my way to find one...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:08 am

Well theres been an update and they've updated the spec....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ole#/story

"Supports connection of external keyboard (specification to follow)."

So thats pretty good, big plus

Also the favourites menu looks a good idea (I didnt have an original Vega so i dont know if this was on it or not, sure it wasnt ?), game pokes can be stored on the SD card, also can change games to ULA Plus mode where applicable.

Sounding better and better
Matt_B wrote:I'm already on board, in case you've not guessed.

It's not a machine for everyone but it'll be right up the alley of a small specific market. There might be other kit that can do the job, but it wasn't designed by Rick Dickinson, officially licensed from both Sinclair Research and Sky, and endorsed by Sir Clive himself. These things matter to people.

I'd hope that, unlike the original Vega, it keeps selling to the extent that they can put it into mass production and make it a more attractive option for the price conscious gamer.
Yeah thats how i feel. Again i could get a PSP to play Speccy games on, but i love the look of this as Sinclair/Dickinson are involved, to me this is how the Speccy would be if it was around in this day and age.

The features above (external keyboard etc) i'm glad they've added. Hope theres a mode/preference setting to get rid of the border around the game, Chris via twitter did say if you get rid of the border the screen wont be sized properly but an option might be good

Glad its a big success on paper so far, looking forward to getting this

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:33 am

psj3809 wrote:Well theres been an update and they've updated the spec....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ole#/story

"Supports connection of external keyboard (specification to follow)."

So thats pretty good, big plus

Also the favourites menu looks a good idea (I didnt have an original Vega so i dont know if this was on it or not, sure it wasnt ?), game pokes can be stored on the SD card, also can change games to ULA Plus mode where applicable.

Sounding better and better
Matt_B wrote:I'm already on board, in case you've not guessed.

Yeah thats how i feel. Again i could get a PSP to play Speccy games on, but i love the look of this as Sinclair/Dickinson are involved, to me this is how the Speccy would be if it was around in this day and age.

The features above (external keyboard etc) i'm glad they've added. Hope theres a mode/preference setting to get rid of the border around the game, Chris via twitter did say if you get rid of the border the screen wont be sized properly but an option might be good

Glad its a big success on paper so far, looking forward to getting this
This is pretty much how I feel about it, it's a yes from me now, I really like the look of this, and the involvement of Sir Clive and Rick Dickinson are a big plus from me, I'll have to trust them now on the keyboard bit, the only thing holding me back previously, until I thought through the mists of time and realised the games I used to enjoy did not really touch the keyboard that much, never played text adventures, and I am hardly going to play Elite on the move!

I would also be happy to add my own games, especially as I still have over 800 original boxed games up in my attic.

I think this looks a brilliant product, a mile away from the original Vega, which I thought looked laughably bad, and £100 as others have mentioned is hardly breaking the bank for a niche product aimed at fans, and so far judging by the money raised, the interest is high.

Now if they could just do a perk for a matching design carry case...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:55 am

I know Chris is a huge speccy fan but if this is a massive success be interesting to see if he moves onto another machine to do something similar. Bit like Boyo who i know is Mr Spectrum, hes done some C64 books and looking at others.

Again in 2016 i'm like a cheshire cat knowing this will come out later this year. I've had some handheld devices in the past to play games such as a GP32, GP2X etc but having Sinclair written on this to be an 'official' one is great

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:38 am

External keyboard isn't really what I want on a portable. It needs something built in, or at the very least a touch screen one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:External keyboard isn't really what I want on a portable. It needs something built in, or at the very least a touch screen one.
There is a touch screen one i believe just like the original Vega. Havent used it but i presume its like the spectaculator app, press an icon to get the keyboard up onscreen. I think for text adventures its probably not ideal but its handy to have i suppose.

Like you i wont be playing text adventures or that on it, mostly arcade style games.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 am

psj3809 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:External keyboard isn't really what I want on a portable. It needs something built in, or at the very least a touch screen one.
There is a touch screen one i believe just like the original Vega. Havent used it but i presume its like the spectaculator app, press an icon to get the keyboard up onscreen. I think for text adventures its probably not ideal but its handy to have i suppose.

Like you i wont be playing text adventures or that on it, mostly arcade style games.
Vega didn't have a touch screen, it had an on screen keyboard system you had to navigate with the dpad.

I want 'touch' screen as a minimum.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:15 am

Sorry yeah meant on screen keyboard, sorry !

Cant see it having a touchscreen built in though, plus the size of that screen (I mean its not 'huge') would surely cost a fair bit if it was a touch screen with all the keys working on it etc ?

Got a fair few keys to be used in games so i'm happy that arcade games ever should be fine

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:02 am

Looks nice. Hope it does well.

£100 is too expensive for me though, I can't justify spending that cash when I already have a PSP which is set up to play most of my favourite Speccy games. I don't have a £100 to spare, and I'm on the lookout for a replacement PSP first as the screen now has a line down the right side.

But as I say, I hope it's a success.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Lord Arse!

Post by Lord Arse! » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 am

To be honest, the original Vega was pretty awful. This on the other hand, looks beautiful and whilst an Android tablet can do pretty much the same job, this just has that "must have this" factor. Put my order in within minutes of the Indiegogo and very much look forward to getting my grubby little hands on it!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 am

On paper i thought the original Vega seemed okay, but i thought i'd wait for reports. Nearly nearly bought one and tried one at Play Expo and thought it was alright but passed in the end.

Exciting year so far, late last year we had the great Speccy book from Bitmap books, Boyo released his 3 Speccy books and we've got his 'pocket sized' Speccy book coming this year. Plus the Vega and some good homebrew games coming. Its great how well supported the ole Speccy is.

Lord Arse!

Post by Lord Arse! » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:30 am

Hehe, 'Boyo' :lol:

Yeah, it's been a great year for everything Speccy. Long may it continue!