Flying.....and censored my pants.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Flying.....and censored my pants.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 am

Those are better odds than winning the lottery...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 am

I mostly okay with flying apart from the landing bit. Freaks me out. Also, if there was proper turbulence I'd cack myself dead.

I quite like it when you're up there above the clouds though.

Not a fan of airports though. Have decided to do a few UK trips before I go abroad again.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:37 pm

I hate flying, detest it but tolerate it to have life experiences, trying focus on the statistics of safe flying is, during take off it is not much comfort for me though!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:44 am

It's one of those things that you loved as a kid, but hate as an adult. Airports are horrible places - the check-in times and so soulless. It's the taking off and landing - they're the worst. Once you're up in the air, then it's okay - especially if you don't have any turbulence. I did once fly in a thunderstorm over the USA - that was a bit hairy. That was in the days when you were allowed to visit the cockpit - sadly gone now.

As to solve your flying problem - imagine you're playing a flight sim, like F18 Interceptor. Or maybe, play one on your plane journey?

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:31 am

The worst part of flying is the boredom of it. Sitting around in the departure lounge before take off, then sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off and then the potentially long duration of the flight itself.

The thing for Tachi to do is close the window if he's next to it, close his eyes during take off and landing, face forwards and try to block out anything that reminds him he's in the air and just pretend he's on a train or coach. And as others have said try to sleep as much of the journey as possible.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:01 am

I also hate flying, I used to love it and i looked forward to it being part of the holiday. After a few bad experiences I know hate it and can't sleep the night before. But I go anyway, otherwise I wouldn't go anywhere. Once we are in the air I am a lot more relaxed. We are off to Tenerife in 3 weeks then off to Cyprus in June. I wont let my fear ruin anything for my kids.

David

Post by David » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:29 pm

I love the take off and landing!!

It's the actual flying bit that's boring and the recycled air gives me a sore throat

Taking off is great fun

tachi

Post by tachi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone, some good advise here (make balls with your feet :))
I will see the docs and ask for some meds as a safety net but am going to try and get through with just herbal stuff like rescue remedy.
That said, aztecca's offer sounds tempting lol
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Flying is like taking the bus except the roller coaster ride when taking off & landing.
The only thing I hate about flying is going in those turboprop planes of Flybe to European countries whereabouts you go in every air pockets in the sky.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:03 pm

At least in a plane you are safe from shark attacks

Balls.................

tachi

Post by tachi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:13 pm

resident paul wrote:Flying is like taking the bus except the roller coaster ride when taking off & landing.
The only thing I hate about flying is going in those turboprop planes of Flybe to European countries whereabouts you go in every air pockets in the sky.
First flight was a twin prop plane to Jersey and we felt every bump but I was fine with that strangely!
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 am

psj3809 wrote:I used to hate flying, then with one of my old jobs i had to go to Paris and i didnt want to sound a woose and tell them about me and flying ! So just did it and had to man up ! It wasnt that bad at all and just got used to it, must admit i'm still not keen being next to the window !

Still dont love it, but my brother in laws a pilot and tells me about all the safety checks they go through etc. It could be worth you going on one of these courses where they talk to you about safety etc.

At the end of the day theres WAY more chance of an accident in a car (or train)
or being hit by the number 55 bus :lol:
This guy are sick