Cartoon conversions

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mancman

Cartoon conversions

Post by Mancman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Would just like to throw an idea out there. I would love to see an article on cartoon conversions, don't recall seeing one before.

I'm sure most of the members here are children of the 80's and i'm sure we all loved our cartoons back then, cartoons were much more watchable back then, my kids watch Adventure Time and other such nonsense, have you seen that show? wow, can't make any sense of it. Anyway, there are absolutely loads of shows that got converted to the 8 bit micros, Thundercats, Mask, Bravestar, He Man, Dangermouse, Count Duckula, i could go on. Some were converted more successfully than others but i remember all fondly. Would love to see a spread on this and maybe comparisons of the different versions.

Thats my 2 cents anyway :wink:

English Invader

Re: Cartoon conversions

Post by English Invader » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:22 pm

The TMNT games have come up a lot but that's because most of them are side-scrolling beat-em-ups which appeal to the arcade fans. TMNT IV on the SNES has a ton of references to the films/cartoons with appearances from Slash, the Rat King, Tokka and Razor and the fly version of Baxter Stockman.

There are so many cartoon games that it would be virtually impossible to cover them in a single article but off the top of my head I can suggest Smurfs 1 and 2, Tintin in Tibet, Edd the Duck and Thomas the Tank Engine. There are also a few neat Ronald McDonald games.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:30 pm

The Scooby Doo feature in issue 151 does mention some others in a boxout, but there is scope for a bigger feature.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm

The Hi-Tec ones were a bit of a curiosity - presumably the more obscure Hannah-Barberra characters came quite cheaply, and the games were popular enough with kids, but they were all pretty samey.

Wacky Races has had a lot of different adaptations, from 8-bit to Dreamcast, PS2 and Wii (all completely different) with some unreleased ones along the way. That might be worthy of a feature all on its own!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:25 pm

I like this idea, could be an ongoing feature. Do GI JOE/ Action Force first.

David

Post by David » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:30 pm

A cartoon based game featured on one page and a movie based game on the page facing it.

1 game each per issue

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I like this idea, could be an ongoing feature. Do GI JOE/ Action Force first.
Then do Transformers. Someone must be made to play Mystery of Convoy and share my pain...