Retro Gamer 151

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Retro Gamer 151

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 am

Times gone quickly, just arrived...

Nice front cover, must admit i'm not a Street Fighter fan at all but i know how popular it is
News article on the Starforce Pi (MAME machine inside a tabletop game), hope thats successful the second time around
Collectors corner - Probably the most attractive one yet !
Nice to see an interview with Park Productions
Street Fighter article - Yeah i'm probably in the minority, just not a fan of these beat em ups
Scooby Doo - Remember moaning at my mate for ordering this back in the day instead of a decent game ! Be interesting to read about this as i know it changed a lot from the original idea
Head over Heels - Great stuff, more speccy. Another game where i would just play to find new rooms, never stood a chance of completing it
Celebrating the Mac - Never had one but looks interesting
Walter Day interview - looks good
21st Century Entertainment - Looks really interesting, what Hewson did after Hewson Consultants closed down
Zzoom - More Speccy, ,good stuff ;) Loved this game, one of the earliest games i saw on my mates Speccy, was so funny shooting the people. Early classic
Hunchback - Thought this was crap on the Speccy, back a good nostalgic look back at this game
Micro Machinse 2 - A classic game
Top 25 Neo Geo Games - Never had one, classic games though
Ron Gilbert interview

Good issue for me this month, next month looks good with Trantor

ArchaicKoala

Re: Retro Gamer 151

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 am

I still haven't gotten round to finishing the last issue yet :shock:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:23 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I still haven't gotten round to finishing the last issue yet :shock:
I have a stack about a foot high of unopened issues next to my bed. :oops:
psj3809 wrote:Hunchback - Thought this was crap on the Speccy, back a good nostalgic look back at this game
You are correct, the Speccy version is poo, you want to play the Oric version instead. That said, some of the other conversions look pretty decent too. I really ought to try them all out considering how much time I put into the Oric one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 pm

psj3809 wrote: Nice to see an interview with Park Productions
Cool to be in the mag, hope I was interesting! ;)
Image Image Image Image

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Very good Head Over Heels article but I really struggled with the comments on some of the screenshots.
Dark blue writing on a black background, not good for those of us who are colourblind.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Just started flicking through but gonna have to stop as I'm getting the first available flight to Sweden...!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:30 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Just started flicking through but gonna have to stop as I'm getting the first available flight to Sweden...!!
:lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:44 am

Really good issue for me, I must admit to spending much longer on the Collector's corner too...all those Virtual Boy games she has :wink:

Not at all a beat em up fan, but can appreciate the impact Streetfighter II had, really liked the Head Over Heels article, but can totally agree that the captions were ridiculous, I don't even wear glasses, but had to get a magnifying glass out to read those captions, just totally the wrong colour, Head Over Heels was one of my favourite games of the '80s, and so was Zzoom, so those articles were welcome, and the 25 best Neo Geo games was very welcome too, and it's always good to have ones own comment printed.

Scooby Doo is a game I have Played a lot of on the C16, one of the few in fact that does not work on the Plus 4, I could not play it for years after I bought it because of that, was also stuck with it, after john Menzies refused to exchange it because it only said C16 on the box, great game for the machine when I did get to play it, considering the memory limitations it was a good attempt.

21st Century Entertainment was a great read, Andrew Hewson is just such a good, honest guy, always quite modest with his successes, but never an excuse for any failures either, I have met him a few times, so knew this would be a cool article.

I always loathed Hunch Back, but still kept playing the wretched thing, so I do have strong memories of that game, not all good, but nostalgic all the same.

Will have to read the rest again, only skipped them at the moment, but already a top issue for me.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 am

Great issue - all the regulars back on form again!

I've only had a quick glance over the Scooby-Doo article and I did notice that all the screenshots seem to be of the released game. There were some screens - possibly fake mock-ups - of the original cartoon-like design in the press at the time. Were they just too rubbish to use?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Small printed images are all that appears to remain of the original plans for Scooby, and they don't scan too well as you can see here:
http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/scooby-doo-v1/
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Dear Heidi, if you are reading this, I have fallen madly in love with you and your amazing game collection. Please send photos of your gaming collection as soon as possible.

lots of love xxx

:wink:

PAC

Post by PAC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Landed yesterday.. Best Cover Ever !

stopXwhispering

Post by stopXwhispering » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:06 am

ncf1 wrote:Dear Heidi, if you are reading this, I have fallen madly in love with you and your amazing game collection. Please send photos of your gaming collection as soon as possible.

lots of love xxx

:wink:
More photos of my game collection can be found here >> http://retro-video-gaming.com/stopxwhis ... ollection/ :wink:

//Heidi
>> RETRO VIDEO GAMING <<
http://retro-video-gaming.com

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:15 am

stopXwhispering wrote:More photos of my game collection can be found here >> http://retro-video-gaming.com/stopxwhis ... ollection/ :wink:

//Heidi
Hi Heidi

That is just an awesome collection, and so organized, mine is mostly in cupboards, and up in the attic in boxes, would just love a setup like that.

Do all your Virtual Boys work? to have one is impressive, but three???

I am missing just one of the American commercial games, Jack Bros, and two Japanese, Virtual Lab and Virtual Bowling, which unless I win the lottery I will never own!
Last edited by adippm82 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

Hi Heidi, and welcome to the madhouse :)

I saw that post on RVG website a couple of weeks back with the photos, didn't realise you were going to then be featured in RG. Wish I had as much room as that. Well, I have a reasonable amount of room, but with what I own (pre-selling currently to slim down a little) there's not enough room to properly display them all!
Soon I’ll have the C64 collection up as well :)
Automatic thumbs up there ;)

Got any rare or obscure Handic stuff, or cartridges for the C64? :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...