Help Finding A PS1 Magazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Help Finding A PS1 Magazine

Post by James A » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Im trying to track down a PS1 Magazine that had a Final Fantasy 7 walk through in it. Not sure how but ive managed to throw mine out or sold it by mistake when ive done a carboot. Come to start FF7 on the PS4 and i haven't got my faithful walk through in case i get stuck.

Ive tried looking for it on ebay and the normal places with out luck. Fact i forgotten which mag it was doesn't help. Do remember quite a few things about it though. Now i think looking at listings on ebay it might have been a Playstation Plus magazine but heres the thing i remember about it....

Hand drawn cover of a woman firing two pistols and the headline was about Res Evil 3.

I think it came out in 1998 when the platinum version of FF7 was released or possibly early 99.

Obviously had a FF7 Walkthrough in.

Also the other thing i remember about the magazine was they had almost like a centrefold bit relating to a Playboy VHS that had been released. Think it was a reaccuring them in the magazine.

Any help on thiis would be appreciated.

Megamixer

Re: Help Finding A PS1 Magazine

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:30 am

I've had a look and can't find anything but judging by your description of the cover, perhaps it had one of the two Fear Effect games on it?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:30 am

There is a PlayStation Power cover that is similar to what you describe but I think I remember getting the FF7 guide from that mag as a separate book that came with it, not printed inside. I could be wrong though as it was a long time ago!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:15 am

I've PMed you a link to the cover that it might be. Tried to post it here and the forum went a bit mad and I saw behind the matrix.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I've PMed you a link to the cover that it might be. Tried to post it here and the forum went a bit mad and I saw behind the matrix.
No its not that one.

I actually found an old diary of mine from around then and i think it might have been one of the early issues of PSW but before they started doing the cover mounted DVDs. Had a search on ebay and google images but still haven't found it. Saw one image of a magazine from PSW that im sure i had around that time though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Looking at Wiki, Playstation World didn't kick off until 2000...wouldn't that have been too late?

Wouldn't have been this one by any chance?
http://hypeup.net/index.php?ACT=92&fid= ... 181_15.jpg

Those PSM mags are the only ones I can see with hand-drawn covers (awesome ones too at that).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Aren't there any guides on Gamefaqs? They usually have a few tips and walkthroughs going...

Anyway do any of these pics ring a bell?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ps1+m ... CIUQsAQIIg

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Megamixer wrote:Looking at Wiki, Playstation World didn't kick off until 2000...wouldn't that have been too late?

Those PSM mags are the only ones I can see with hand-drawn covers (awesome ones too at that).
Im actually thinking it may have been later than 98. When did the platinum label release of FF7 come out Was it summer of 98 or 99. Whichever it was it absolutely hammed it. Thinking it might have been 99 as the FF8 demo disc was in the platinum release.

MadManDan its more a sentimental thing now.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 am

Not the one you are looking for, but there was a very good walkthrough of FF7 in the Official Playstation Magazine's Final Fantasy VIII Special (with the spiderbot demo on the cover disk).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:13 am

James A wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Looking at Wiki, Playstation World didn't kick off until 2000...wouldn't that have been too late?

Im actually thinking it may have been later than 98. When did the platinum label release of FF7 come out Was it summer of 98 or 99. Whichever it was it absolutely hammed it. Thinking it might have been 99 as the FF8 demo disc was in the platinum release.

MadManDan its more a sentimental thing now.
That is very true I've still got a gta v guide even though there are countless walkthroughs on internet...

James A

Post by James A » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Ive been off here for a while but who was it who used to have an absolutely massive collection of old games magazines?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:59 pm

James A wrote:Ive been off here for a while but who was it who used to have an absolutely massive collection of old games magazines?
Bensonrad has a near complete collection of every magazine released... I think I may have the mag your after in the attic as I have around 5 ft of old gaming magazines will get back to you..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

Shinobi wrote:
James A wrote:Ive been off here for a while but who was it who used to have an absolutely massive collection of old games magazines?
Bensonrad has a near complete collection of every magazine released... I think I may have the mag your after in the attic as I have around 5 ft of old gaming magazines will get back to you..
Cheers Shinobi. If i could just find out which mag it was it would make tracking it down a lot easier.

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Is Bensonrad still on here by any chance?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 pm

James A wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Is Bensonrad still on here by any chance?
I bought a load of official PS mags from him I while ago, so if what your are looking for is in one of them then I might be able to help
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward