Discuss Time! Issue 152

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 152

Post by joefish » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am

A game that forces you to do something stupid or that you don't want to because it's part of the story.

Usually the Zelda games aren't too bad for this; you're forever being pushed one way or another but usually for good reasons that make you at least want to try. Alundra gets it spectacularly wrong at one point though where two characters need your help; if you try to save one, the villagers obstruct you so you have to save the other, then those same characters start slagging you off for not saving the first guy. So f*** 'em - see if I care.

At least Bioshock had an ingenious take on the concept, though even after you've broken free from it, nothing changes in the gameplay, and it still sticks in a pointlessly draw-out nearly-finished quest.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 am

Stupid difficulty spikes in games such as Resistance or Luigi's Mansion 2, also games that have you retracing you steps, I also hate QTE in games, nothing will make me put down a joypad than a game riddled with those.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm

When it stops being fun.

I have enough tedious chroes in life without videogames being one of them.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Usually just the general feeling that I'm not enjoying what I'm playing, regardless of how well the game has been made. I'll tolerate negative aspects to a point (to give a game a fair chance) but if I have to force myself to play it over something else then it's time to give up. Gaming time is precious.

Frequent and serious glitches will do it for me as well. Recently binned the PS3 disc-based release of GTA San Andreas due to the sheer amount of bugs and locking-up I experienced.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Hmm, interesting question. Pondering for a bit I realise that I will stop playing a game when it simply becomes too frustrating, or not fun. Or if the game is a combination of too hard/repetitive, that bores me to tears, there's no fun in that. I want to feel a sense of enjoyment and progression; these are the two vital factors for me. If the game feels like a repetitive chore, ie. like painting walls, then I find I would rather actually paint some of the walls around the house, and get something damn well done.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:
Other than that, what I refer to as "Zelda Syndrome" stops me playing a game. If a title is a large game (Zelda in this example) and I take a break from it for a week or so, I more often than not don't have a clue where I am or what I'm doing so I just give up on it :oops:
I used to experience that a lot. Now, if I leave a game it stays left. If I've stopped for any reason, it's usually because I wasn't enjoying it that much in the first place. Trying to pick up the thread again is a ball ache. Enjoyable games make you want to play them any chance you get.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Is just generally being a bad game a good reason?

That said like others I find poor controls, no ckear direction on what you need to do or just general lack of gripping-ness to be major turn offs!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:00 pm

Anything too plot heavy, i don't have the attention span to get engrossed in a long drawn out story anymore, would rather read a book!

Also reptiveness, fetch quests and the such. Its amazes me how many open world games incorporate this kind of gameplay. Fallout 4 is a prime example, I was amazed how quickly I got bored of it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Excessive artificial lengthening of games, especially endurance races on Racing games.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:22 am

Almost forgot - crash or lock-up. It happens rarely on consoles, to be fair, but I got one of the Aliens games dirt cheap from Game's fire sale. Played it for 5 minutes. It locked up on me. It went straight in the bin.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:04 pm

When I was younger, with games that progressed to an end, I think I gave up on most well before the end as I didn't have a lot of patience (especially when the game was too hard). It's only since being an avid reader of Retro Gamer that I have gone back to some of my favourite old games and strived to complete them, especially after they have appeared in the mag. The only problem is that I may now have a lot more patience, but don't have half as much free time.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:50 pm

joefish wrote:Almost forgot - crash or lock-up. It happens rarely on consoles, to be fair, but I got one of the Aliens games dirt cheap from Game's fire sale. Played it for 5 minutes. It locked up on me. It went straight in the bin.
Yep. I loved the Bully game by Rockstar (Hope they do another one) but the 360 version would just freeze after a while. I couldn't get the download patch at the time so just had to give up. That was probably the most frustrating moment of giving up a game, as I really loved that one.

Otherwise generally pretty much what others say- difficulty curve too steep, tedious gameplay, bad controls. With walkthroughs in this age 'getting stuck' with a puzzle isn't as much of a prob

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Here's a thought- would Piracy be an element to make you give up on a game?

For example, I'm sure a lot of us as kids would have the C60 cassettes full of games from our schoolmates, where you'd swop games with each other, ultimately ending up with literally hundreds of games in a stack of cassettes. With that many games piled up, how many would you really get stuck into and play? At school the cool question was not if you played a game, but rather if you had it in your collection. So there were a ton of games I'd play/start to, then give up and play something else, as without buying the game and having few to play, the appreciation for them wasn't as great somehow.
Any cartridges I bought for Atari VCS etc I would play to death. I'm sure that wasn't only due to the instant load...somehow they had more value attached to them, if that makes sense.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28 pm

1. leaving a game and coming back to it and not having a clue what to do next.

2. stuoidly placed checkpoints or save points, where if you die you have to start too far back.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:03 pm

When a game has so much on screen text, arrows, icons, radar & maps for its HUD you can't see the actual game itself. Also when the game has a collectable item that is hidden throughout the game and it tells you to collect all 500!