Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:07 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Shinobi wrote:The incredible Smoo it looked like 'Blob' from Boy and his Blob don't think it spoke nobody remembers it

Robot Story the bad guys looked like White Cylones apart from White Wriggler a fat masked person and a voice that would constantly tell him "your the lowest of the lowest of the low"

Calamity Jane a brave star rip of with a female wasn't on for long I think
Its about time you added your list in this thread mate

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=52000
Been meaning to post on that but been putting it off as the name of one the Deceptercons is eluding me even with google.. When I used to play Transformers with my friend liked the look of one of the combiner teams and my friend said he was called the Butcher as he killed a lot of Autobots in a swamp on Cybertron..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:The incredible Smoo it looked like 'Blob' from Boy and his Blob don't think it spoke nobody remembers it
That's 'The New Shmoo, very popular round our way around the same time as Captain Caveman.
Glad somebody else remembers it.. Thanks for the youtube brings back memories for some reason I couldn't remember the Shmoo having whiskers everything else about Shmoo reminds me of Blob.. Bet David Crane or whoever did 'Boy and his Blob' was a fan blob even has the Shmoo's transformations
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Robot Story the bad guys looked like White Cylones apart from White Wriggler a fat masked person and a voice that would constantly tell him "your the lowest of the lowest of the low"

Calamity Jane a brave star rip of with a female wasn't on for long I think
There's episodes of robostory on youtube, just in case you'd not seen them, I really used to like watching that in thw school holidays.
Splink!

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:17 pm

joefish wrote:
Mancman wrote:Also one I can't remember the name of myself and its been bugging me for years, really. It was about a guy who would gain superpowers by looking at the sun, his eyes would change colour if I remember correctly. I don't think it lasted very long because of the whole staring into the sun thing, kids might copy it, see.
Northstar, not to be confused with the Manga / Animé Fist of the North Star.
Good old Greg Evigan ('You may remember him from...') as an astronaut given super-powers by cosmic rays or something. He has to wear sunglasses so his UV-activated powers don't overwhelm him. Which of course, he has to do by the end, dramatically whipping off his glasses and staring at the sun to obtain super-strength, after which his eyes go red and he goes into a fit - a bit like the end of Total Recall! Certainly had the look of a failed series pilot. Presumably each episode was to conclude with him dramatically whipping off his glasses to gain the necessary powers. Again. Or maybe some sort of twist involving a UV torch after dark. As frankly, super-powers that only work in the open-air under bright exposed Californian sunshine are a bit shit really...
Oh my god, thank you so much, this has bugged me for years and now i watch the pilot on youtube :mrgreen:

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 pm

LOVE SLEDGE HAMMER! Got the box set and have worn out the discs. Fab, fab, fab stuff! Brilliant theme tune.

Also:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:18 pm

joefish wrote:
RetroAerosmith wrote:One cartoon movie no one ever remembers when i mention it is Dot and the Kangaroo. Also ive mentioned a film on numerous other forums but it involved a group of moari type australians that ate eucalyptus bars and tripped out, it was a kids movie and thats all i can remember about it. There was a koala bear in it, but thats it...
I vaguely remember Dot and the Kangaroo, but can't picture it without thinking of Dora the Explorer. I wasn't sure if it was a series or a one-off.
Another curious one-off animation I remember is Animalympics (also on YouTube), memorable for the distinctly human proportions of its female anthropomorphic characters, and a recurring segment of a marathon road race that starts to turn hallucinatory for the goat character who leads it most of the way.
There's a whole series of those films, at least three of them were on YouTube last time I checked... Weird watching experience with the "real" backgrounds and the odd bit with the Bunyip (I think?).

I remember an American series being on on Sunday mornings, Channel 4 probably, around 1991 or thereabouts. A kid wakes up one morning floating above his bed, and he suddenly has superpowers. The only other part I remember is him going to his doctor for his injections (which he usually hates), but the needle gets bent instead of penetrating the skin.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Here's anither what was the name one, cartoon on ch4 on saturday mornings I think, the opening credits featured a boy and a girl running through a hedge maze until they met up with a guy with gardening shears who was cutting the hedge, from what else I recall the cartoon wasn't actually about them though.

Wasn't dot and the kangaroo narrated by spike milligan?
Last edited by felgekarp on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splink!

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:27 pm

joefish wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Does anyone remember Dream On? It was on Channel 4 in the early 1990s. It was about a divorced book editor and his escapades with lots of women. There were a few guest appearances, like Gates McFadden and Teri Hatcher. It used clips from old films and TV. It was produced and some of the episodes were directed by Martin Landis(American Werewolf in London). I think a few episodes were shown on ITV 4 a few years ago. Some of them are up on YouTube.
Vaguely - I seem to remember it regularly showing boobies! In fact, didn't it come on after The Adam & Joe Show and they commented on it coming up at the end of their programme? :lol:
I used to watch Dream On. It ran from 1990-1996 so I'm presuming that I watched the later seasons when I was 14/15 and not when it first started...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Hex is another good show that most people won't know, a sort of British Buffy. It even features its own lesbian, echoing Buffy's resident witch, though in Hex she's a ghost.
I've seen most of the episodes of Hex, Michael Fassbender was one of the main cast in the first series and lesbian ghost was played by Jemima Rooper.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:08 pm

felgekarp wrote:Wasn't dot and the kangaroo narrated by spike milligan?
Certainly was :D

Here's the "Bunyip" bit I was on about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtrYO-Mog60

Someone mentioned something about a koala? Could be Blinky Bill, another popular Australian character (and at one point my nickname in school, due to the amount of blinking I did when I wasn't wearing glasses and my middle name being "William").
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, I was addicted to it as a kid.
Watching you sleep since 1990

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Northern Exposure

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Sputryk wrote:Also:
I vaguely remember Barbapapa, but mainly from a picture-book that I had.

Another TV-Movie that may jog some memories is William Shatner with a flaming torch getting blown out of an aircraft door by the angry ghosts of ancient druids, or more memorably a dog getting frozen solid, in Horror at 37,000 Feet.

And all those who remember Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and how they ruined it in the second series, may be surprised on re-watching the opening to the pilot - a montage of dancing girls and lyrics sung to the closing theme. And the pilot was actually shown in some cinemas.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:42 pm

joefish wrote:
Sputryk wrote:Also:
I vaguely remember Barbapapa, but mainly from a picture-book that I had.

Another TV-Movie that may jog some memories is William Shatner with a flaming torch getting blown out of an aircraft door by the angry ghosts of ancient druids, or more memorably a dog getting frozen solid, in Horror at 37,000 Feet.

And all those who remember Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and how they ruined it in the second series, may be surprised on re-watching the opening to the pilot - a montage of dancing girls and lyrics sung to the closing theme. And the pilot was actually shown in some cinemas.
I went to see the pilot in the cinema. :)

I'm sure I have the right film, and if so it is the only scene I remember as it was such an obvious blooper: Shatner all the way through the film was wearing a dark shirt with collar down, but for one momentary scene it's a white shirt with collar up? Never seen the movie since its first appearance on tv all those years ago.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 am

Shinobi wrote:
Been meaning to post on that but been putting it off as the name of one the Deceptercons is eluding me even with google.. When I used to play Transformers with my friend liked the look of one of the combiner teams and my friend said he was called the Butcher as he killed a lot of Autobots in a swamp on Cybertron..
Snaptrap
He truly earned his nickname of "Butcher of the Bogs" when he massacred an Autobot regiment in the Toxic Sludge Swamps on Cybertron.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Snaptrap_%28G1%29

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Nope it wasnt Blinky Bill, it wasnt animation at all, just a tv movie. there were a couple of kids, bars that looked like trackers and moari type guys after them, when they ate the bars they were in a like trippy haze and giggly waving type thing. Ive no idea anything else about it, but i seem to remember a live koala winking at the end.

or that may have been the simpsons ending ...god i dunno.