Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: Charity Shops

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

LonDan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:£3.99 is expensive the Charity shops around here sell PS2 GameCube, Megadrive, DS and Wii games between 20p and £1 whilst Nintendo 64, PS3 and 360 games sell for £3.99; a boxed N64 Pokemon was £10. These where the games I've seen in the last few months...
You're obviously not in the middle of London like me...
South Wales the town is full of Charity shops compared to most places
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:41 am

don't worry, there are plenty of charity shops in most london high streets too. they just don't very often have anything too retro in them.
and i'm even counting ps2, xbox and gamecube as retro here.

of course, that's not always, but most of the time they're pretty barren.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 pm

If you're looking for retro games from a charity shop, Chelmsford is just over 30 minutes by train from Liverpool street. Just make up any excuse to go there...

Oxfam on the main shopping precinct has an upstairs department which often has good deals for retro games.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:If you're looking for retro games from a charity shop, Chelmsford is just over 30 minutes by train from Liverpool street. Just make up any excuse to go there...

Oxfam on the main shopping precinct has an upstairs department which often has good deals for retro games.
Do they? They did but I think someone "got" ebay recently and everything seems overpriced now. They had a bunch of gamecube games when I last looked, nothing special, no Mario or anything, and when I checked, I could order all of them cheaper on ebay with postage or get from CEX. Stupid really, if they'd been a bit cheaper I'd have bought a couple.

Their pile of DVDs is getting higher and higher and higher too...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:00 am

jdanddiet wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:If you're looking for retro games from a charity shop, Chelmsford is just over 30 minutes by train from Liverpool street. Just make up any excuse to go there...

Do they? They did but I think someone "got" ebay recently and everything seems overpriced now. They had a bunch of gamecube games when I last looked, nothing special, no Mario or anything, and when I checked, I could order all of them cheaper on ebay with postage or get from CEX. Stupid really, if they'd been a bit cheaper I'd have bought a couple.

Their pile of DVDs is getting higher and higher and higher too...
I bought 2 nes games from there a few weeks ago. Tom and jerry and joe and mac. Paid £9 for both...

Tom and jerry goes for well over £10 when i looked

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I had two of my best bargains from that very shop.

Snatcher for £1.99 and a copy of Sonic the hedgehog master system with a USA barcode on it for 99p. Genuine one too.

They do seem to have got a bit greedy of late though as I could see. There's been a negative shift in Chelmsford shops in the last year or so. Shame really.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:53 pm

shiftytigger wrote:I had two of my best bargains from that very shop.

Snatcher for £1.99 and a copy of Sonic the hedgehog master system with a USA barcode on it for 99p. Genuine one too.

They do seem to have got a bit greedy of late though as I could see. There's been a negative shift in Chelmsford shops in the last year or so. Shame really.
There def used to be bargains to had there. And when I went in there would always buy a cd, dvd as well. Now I rarely bother calling in. Im amazed those NES games were on for that price. They had a couple of crappy boxed sports snes games a while back for £25 each :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:23 am

Had some great stuff out of the Moulsham street shop that had the books and DVD's / games but thats gone , as has cash concepts who were at least good for a laugh. Cash Converters barely had anything this time , last time it was massively overpriced retro stuff.

The Oxfam one seems to have been greedy for this year , last year was ok. Im assuming they have someone who is 'in the know'.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:50 am

Nice little find in Cancer Research yesterday - a sealed copy of Myst V - collectors edition for £5. More than I'd normally spend, but always good to have sealed stuff in the collection for future trades.

Brilliantly, because of how the case is designed, it was in the books section.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:38 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Had some great stuff out of the Moulsham street shop that had the books and DVD's / games but thats gone , as has cash concepts who were at least good for a laugh. Cash Converters barely had anything this time , last time it was massively overpriced retro stuff.

The Oxfam one seems to have been greedy for this year , last year was ok. Im assuming they have someone who is 'in the know'.
Cash converters Chelmsford retro games got moved to the Colchester store. I saw Mega bomberman in Chelmsford for £15 and took time out to think about it. Then next time I looked all retro games and consoles were gone but they all turned up at the Colchester store where I picked up Mega Bomberman.

Cash concepts went pretty much shortly after Cash converters opened, then CEX opened after that...

All I saw 99% of the time in cash concepts were overpriced PS1 and PS2 games... Though I did pick up General Chaos for the Megadrive once from there for £2...

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:35 pm

If that's all you ever saw in Concepts you probably came in after me and many others. They had some awesome boxed SNES stuff about 6months before they went and don't think they asked much either. I missed out on those.

The cash converters there has never been great. Greedy and overpriced without foundation in common sense.
I've bought very little apart from some ps2 games that escaped their beady eyes.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Yeah I never got to Chelmsford as much as I wanted to back then due to working many hours in and around the Colchester area...

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Forgot what a poor time it was for charity shop gaming. Covered pretty much every single one of my favourite haunts today and there wasn't a single new addition to the shelves.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 pm

My local Phyllis Tuckwell had a Japanese copy of Golden Axe III for 99p today. Got it home and it had Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog inside. Gutted!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 am

themightymartin wrote:My local Phyllis Tuckwell had a Japanese copy of Golden Axe III for 99p today. Got it home and it had Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog inside. Gutted!
What have you learned from this?