Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

David

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by David » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

they need to bring back clear lucozade

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:23 am

16_Bit_Life wrote: Root Beer (Uk Mcdonalds)
Yeah, someone told that McDonald's used to sell Root Beer with their meals. I must have missed that. Anyway, you can buy Root Beer in Asda. Also, Bryon(the Chancellor's favourite) sell it to go with burgers.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
16_Bit_Life wrote: Root Beer (Uk Mcdonalds)
Root beer in McDonalds would .be great... Love root beer, its sometimes tough to get anywhere these days... I always get a case in for christmas.
Same here. Always liked it but completely loved it when we went on honeymoon. Love the stuff.

I go to a cash and carry and get Bundaberg. It's about 8 quid for 12 stubby bottles. It's Australian and bloody good. I'm due another run soon as I'm down to my last few bottles.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:Panda Pops...used to love the mad flavours like Candy Frost, Strawberry Jelly & Ice Cream and Blue Raspberry.

Probably another great range of drinks killed off by the "think of the children" parent brigade who see sugar as the great evil.
I really miss these, Blue Raspberry was my absolute favorite.
Watching you sleep since 1990

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Here's a lot of sadly missed ones:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiejones/the- ... -starburst

Didn't even realise they'd stopped making Toffo or Campinos, I'm craving them now :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:30 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Here's a lot of sadly missed ones:

Didn't even realise they'd stopped making Toffo or Campinos, I'm craving them now :(
Ugh, too many great things that no longer exist!

Frufroo yoghurts were amazing - the toys in the middle were much higher quality than what you got in Kinder Surprise and the dessert itself was lush. They cost a lot of money to buy though!

Also really miss the citrus Polos, Cadbury's Snaps and Bursting Bugs.

I work in a wholesaler where we sell cases of everything but even I hadn't noticed things like Kitkat Senses or Dream disappear :oops: . To be fair though, there are a hell of a lot of lines that just don't sell and are always going out of date so it's no surprise that they are killed off. I suppose the manufacturers can only realistically produce so many varieties so something will inevitably get the chop!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:34 pm

My last job was in a shop so I'd go to wholesale places fairly often... But even so, a LOT of things on that list I just "assumed" were still around. Dream especially a shock!

Slightly gutted I won't have any more Cadbury Snaps or butter Polos or ice cream Chewits, ABSOLUTELY gutted about Campinos. Frufoo were fun, think I only ever had one in my life, too expensive! And even that one was at a friend's house so he kept the toy, obviously :?

Jelly Invaders... Remember them?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Saw that Walkers have brought back 'Bugles' the other day. Bought a pack...not bad. Pretty sure they taste the same as before even though it wasn't Walkers who originally produced them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:Saw that Walkers have brought back 'Bugles' the other day. Bought a pack...not bad. Pretty sure they taste the same as before even though it wasn't Walkers who originally produced them.
Walkers own quite a few of the classic brit brands now, sadly the days of true 10p crisps have long passed.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Here's a lot of sadly missed ones:

Toffo's still exist in the Middle East, for some reason. You can get them in Saudi Arabia anyway.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Had some of these recently (American import I think):

Totally validates the existence of artificial flavours :)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:28 pm

Anyone remember Bugles when Golden Wonder used to make them? Loved them. Around in the early 2000s not sure if they were before that.

Tried the new Walkers versions but they are too puffy, the GW ones were crisper and had a smooth texture on the inside and I'm sure were more of a nacho type flavour than the wotsit flavour the Walkers ones have. Possibly they were fried rather than baked and/or were made of wheat not corn.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:10 pm

oli_lar wrote:Anyone remember Bugles when Golden Wonder used to make them? Loved them. Around in the early 2000s not sure if they were before that.

Tried the new Walkers versions but they are too puffy, the GW ones were crisper and had a smooth texture on the inside and I'm sure were more of a nacho type flavour than the wotsit flavour the Walkers ones have. Possibly they were fried rather than baked and/or were made of wheat not corn.
The older ones were definitely better. From what I've read, they're an American product that was licensed to GW and now it's licensed to Walkers so technically they've never belonged to either company.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Anyone remember Bugles when Golden Wonder used to make them? Loved them. Around in the early 2000s not sure if they were before that.

The older ones were definitely better. From what I've read, they're an American product that was licensed to GW and now it's licensed to Walkers so technically they've never belonged to either company.
Yeah Bugles is a franchise and was/is so in both cases, its a US brand as you say.Typically companies holding a franchise use their own recipe which is why they taste different.

Also the trend for crisp makers has been to move away from wheat/frying. They'll say on the packet it is for health reasons, but its because of cost, maize is cheaper and baking is a lot cheaper than frying. Sadly neither are as nice..probably why older crisps that have always been maize/baked like space raiders are covered in flavouring!

...On that note I've not seen salt & vinegar space raiders for ages!

Its a pity those online shops selling crisps are so expensive as they have a decent range. 40 x pickled onion space raiders for a tenner when you can get the ten packs for a pound in pretty much every supermarket! You have to trawl round corner shops to get Quarterbacks or Snaps :(

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 am

I've mentioned before that there do seem to be regional variations in snack availability.

Snaps aren't difficult to find around here, not by a long chalk. I could name half a dozen shops that even do the multipacks!