Paris under attack

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: Paris under attack

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Another depressing thread :(
To be fair considering the subject it's hardly surprising but the standard pattern emerges as usual.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:29 pm

pratty wrote:And as I do acknowledge the plight of legitimate desperate refugees, I would expect you also at least recognise the murders and rapes prevented by firearm ownership in America.
Or perhaps all the rapes forced at gunpoint, and murders at the end of a gun, and suicides that were made much more "effective" with a gun......and if we are taking any positive line that guns have protected so many people from serious harm, then we need to also focus on the underlying cause and origin of that harm. Of course rape and murder being so much less prevalent in gun-toting-safe america than it is in other western industrialised nations.....
gman72 wrote: To be fair considering the subject it's hardly surprising but the standard pattern emerges as usual.
Whats that? You read it and point out how its depressing you?

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:32 pm

PA announcement
"Sixth form closes in 10 minutes" ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm

sscott wrote:PA announcement
:lol: :lol: :lol:
quite
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm

gman72 wrote:Another depressing thread :(
To be fair considering the subject it's hardly surprising but the standard pattern emerges as usual.
Which is? Bickering?

Speaking for myself I've been going back and forth with Sephiroth all afternoon, but's it's never been personal so no bickering on my part, or his towards me, just healthy stimulating debate as far as I'm concerned.

Arguing, i.e. a difference of opinion, is inevitable, I'm not why anybody would expect anything different, especially as you say in a subject such as this one.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm

pratty wrote:
Which is? Bickering?

Speaking for myself I've been going back and forth with Sephiroth all afternoon, but's it's never been personal so no bickering on my part, or his towards me, just healthy stimulating debate as far as I'm concerned.

Arguing, i.e. a difference of opinion, is inevitable, I'm not why anybody would expect anything different, especially as you say in a subject such as this one.
Agreed (for a change!)

We both have our own opinions and views and expressing them without the insults. I don't get why anyone would get so worked up about other people posting politics in a political thread in the off topic section....especially when they've not contributed to it, and just voyeuring apart from when they find their window to pop in and say "oh no, here we go again!" followed by some eye rolling smilie.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 pm

sscott wrote:PA announcement
I ignored your first comment, I tried. Aren't you clever. Sorry teacher, won't do it again.

It's the same with the "is the forum going downhill" thread, the supposedly superior posters just telling the rest of us how everyone else but them is doing it wrong and ruining the forum.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Which is? Bickering?

Agreed (for a change!)

We both have our own opinions and views and expressing them without the insults. I don't get why anyone would get so worked up about other people posting politics in a political thread in the off topic section....especially when they've not contributed to it, and just voyeuring apart from when they find their window to pop in and say "oh no, here we go again!" followed by some eye rolling smilie.
Exactly mate. :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:47 pm

pratty wrote:
It's the same with the "is the forum going downhill" thread, the supposedly superior posters just telling the rest of us how everyone else but them is doing it wrong and ruining the forum.
I guess this is what happens to peoples minds when they build up pointless mini-vendettas and grudges against people on forums who they'll never ever meet. It consumes them to do and say predictable things, rather than just look the other way or contribute to the discussion.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Shinobi wrote: Link us to your facebook page I'm sure Beans would love to see what you look like:)
WTf?
Why the Jimminny Johnson would I give the slightest toss about what seph looks like? Has stuff been deleted in here or something. What have I missed?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:59 pm

pratty wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Which is? Bickering?

Agreed (for a change!)

Exactly mate. :)
Please, do carry on with your interesting, informative and utterly engrossing debate. :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote:
I guess this is what happens to peoples minds when they build up pointless mini-vendettas and grudges against people on forums who they'll never ever meet. It consumes them to do and say predictable things, rather than just look the other way or contribute to the discussion.
I just think it's unrealistic to expect everyone else on a public forum to be as stimulating to read as you'd like. Obviously the trick is to stay out of topics that aren't for you, and even if a topic you're interested in goes off topic such as this one may have, it's pretty easy to skip over what doesn't interest you, or better yet bring it back on topic with relevent imput of your own.

To be honest I'm disappointed with myself for even replying to sscott, I try to get on with everyone and as you can attest to not get personal when I disagree with them.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:04 pm

gman72 wrote:Please, do carry on with your interesting, informative and utterly engrossing debate. :D
No need for sarcasm mate, what's the problem?

I didn't realise we're here for everyone's entertainment, I'm sorry it's not good enough for everyone else to read.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 pm

pratty wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I am just wondering how this turned out to be a debate on gun control in America.
That would be my fault. But forget America, the concept of armed cilivilans anywhere is hardly off topic when discussing cities under attack.
If you are suggesting that places like the UK, France, Germany etc are better off allowing citizens to be armed then I am afraid I would have to disagree.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:17 pm

The Beans wrote:
WTf?
Why the Jimminny Johnson would I give the slightest toss about what seph looks like? Has stuff been deleted in here or something. What have I missed?
I have not said anything or had anything deleted. I think Shinobi was just on a wind-up/stirring mission. At least he is honest about it i guess as per the below! :
Shinobi wrote:
Nothing personal Seph somebody asked me to pull your chain for being a limp wrist-ed veggie burger eating Nancy boy :shock: So is your East European girlfriend hot and does she have black hair? Link us to your facebook page I'm sure Beans would love to see what you look like:)
Shinobi, she has blonde hair, blue eyes, and attractive. I think I won her over with my vegetarianism :wink:
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.