iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Just been playing it, graphics look great on my iphone. Bit tricky in places but its a great game. Bit embarassing i got stuck right near the end (didnt see the other rope i had to throw down)

Love it that on this small device i've got the likes of this, Bastion, KOTOR, Doom, Walking Dead, tons of Speccy games, MAME and 100's of others.

Wife: 'Do you mind if i watch 'trashy program' ?
Me: Nope go ahead (gets out iphone !)

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 pm

I haven't downloaded a new game on 6 months, have I missed anything good?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 am

sscott wrote:I haven't downloaded a new game on 6 months, have I missed anything good?
Yes.

Downwell for a start.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm

theantmeister wrote:
sscott wrote:I haven't downloaded a new game on 6 months, have I missed anything good?
Yes.

Downwell for a start.
Yes Downwell, although I kind of prefer playing it on the PC and that new Shakira one.
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Shakira ? Urrrgh !

Last few i've bought...

Horizon Chase - Brilliant Out Run style game
Warhammer Deathwatch - Nice old skool turn based strategy game, love the way you can tilt the view slightly to a more 3d style
Flash Gordon - Dont like many runners but combined with the old Queen songs its not bad
Dust: An Elysian Tale - Nice platformer
Nubs Adventure - Brilliant old skool platformer with great retro graphics
Rambo - Another runner, not too bad
Goat MMO - Bit of a laugh
Drylands - Retro style looking platformer 'RPG', not bad at all, a lot of depth to it
Pips Adventure - Another great platformer
Callys Caves 3 - Free, a very good platformer
AG Drive - Great wipeout style racing game
The Deer God - Havent a clue what i'm doing but great retro pixel art
Evoland - It tries to combine bits of RPG's from over the years so it starts off very basic, then you get 4 way movement, then 8 way, tries to mimic Gameboy/SNES RPG's over the years well worth picking up
Beggars Ride - Mentioned recently, very nice puzzle platformer
Brothers - Well worth it, slightly different as you have a joystick for each brother to control at once
Evel Knievel - Surprisingly quite good, bit like a Kikstart style game, a lot of fun

A lot of quality iOS games have come out in the last 6 months. Glad i've got a 128 GB device !

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 pm

AG Drive isn't bad. I really struggle with the tilt controls though. I'd say it is closer to F-Zero than Wipeout.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 pm

theantmeister wrote:AG Drive isn't bad. I really struggle with the tilt controls though. I'd say it is closer to F-Zero than Wipeout.
I cant stand tilt controls, i do like the touch buttons on the left and right side (Thats the type of style i use for Asphalt 8), glad you can turn off the acceleration graphic as well.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Be warned. If you have an icade and use it for MAME on your ipad DON'T update to iOS9 as it basically messes it up and theres a slight annoying stutter when playing the games. This happened on iOS8 but the trick was to disable 'split keyboard' which worked. For iOS9 it doesnt though.

I stupidly updated mine to ios9, just been out and bought an ipad2 (on ios8) just for MAME ! (£140 not bad)

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:12 pm

I love Horizon Chase, but it does get hard at points - maybe unfairly so. Seeing as there are no IAPs, that's obviously done for pure gameplay reasons, not to generate revenue, which is at least a change
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Been playing a lot of Asphalt 8 at the moment. Gameloft were one of my favourite devs back when i first got an iOS device, the early Dungeon Hunter games, Heroes of Sparta etc were superb. Now its just freemium after freemium. BUT i havent had to spend anything in this game and i've had a lot of fun with it, high quality racing game.

Still enjoying Brothers, playing Gameboy games on my device as well.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:41 am

Couple of new ones...

Dead Effect 2
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dead-ef ... 73204?mt=8

Never really played the first one, had a go of this one, free to play, so far a great zombie FPS

Lumino City
http://www.luminocitygame.com/

Stunning looking game, link on the website to get the game. Played the first section of it, looks amazing, puzzles to do etc.

Sanitarium
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/sanitar ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Never heard of this one, meant to be an old classic point n click PC game which was out in 1998. Might give this one a shot

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 am

Bug Princess (A great Cave shooter) is apparently free right now...

http://www.destructoid.com/cave-s-bug-p ... 8194.phtml

Bought this a while back, love the Cave shooters on iOS, work really well

Just bought this after watching a gameplay video on youtube...

Templar Battleforce RPG
https://itunes.apple.com/kr/app/templar ... ?l=en&mt=8

£5, looks like a good Rebelstar type X-Com strategy game, not over the top strategy but just about right. Graphics are old skool, gameplay looks good with turns etc. Think this may be the rebelstar 'homage' i'm looking for

Also another plug for these guys...

http://builds.io/

Basically i think they use a dev account to install apps for people, so you can install MAME/Gameboy/NES/Megadrive and many other emulators (and non-games) to your device. Just $10 a year. I've paid for this and its great. Well worth looking into

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Finally picked up a new Apple TV today and an MFI controller

The 'potential' of the Apple TV is huge but out of say 900+ apps i've bought over the years theres 38 i can play on the Apple TV ! Granted its only just come out but the next few months i think will make or break it regarding gaming.

The games i've got run perfectly on it but just wish there were more ! My 5 year old daughter loves it as her two favourite games (Rayman and Altos Adventure) is on it so its worth it for that alone.

Just hope more and more games are available for it

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 am

Playing Super Hexagon and Tomb Raider Go at the moment. Both are excellent.

Super Hexagon is a real test of concentration. Blink and it's game over. Love the music, although I find I do better with it off.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:46 am

Must admit i never got into Super Hexagon, just find it too frustrating.

Tomb Raider Go is good, have a look at Hitman Go as well, graphics on that are great, from the same makers.

Wednesday so that means new releases later, should be some good uns, i know theres a 'SNES' style platformer out later.

Some games i recently picked up...

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oddworl ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Came out on the PSP a while back, i bought it and played the first level or two. Not bad at all

Heavy Blade
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heavy-b ... ?ls=1&mt=8

Bit like a basic Quake I. So far only one weapon but the graphics are great, a lot of levels to go through. Quite basic as in you can pick up health and thats about it. They're working on the sequel so far. But it plays well plus its also on Apple TV so for me its great playing it on the TV also. Nice little game, looking forward to the sequel.