Discuss Time! 149

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

Discuss Time! 149

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi guys, it's time for another Discuss page. The question this time is: How much does condition matter to you?

That is to say, when you buy used games, are you happy with beaten-up loose cartridges or do you try to get complete copies with everything as pristine as possible? Why do you do this?

As usual, we'll pick some responses to go into the mag.

Sokurah

Re: Discuss Time! 149

Post by Sokurah » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm not a rabid collector so I don't fuss too much over the condition. I won't buy anything tatty but I won't pay a premium for mint quality either.
Somewhere in between = good quality for sensible money. That's how I do it. :wink:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm

I will use SNES games as an example.
If I just want to play a game or want it for my collection I would just go for cartridge only, as long as it was cleanish with the label on it, that would be fine. But my favourite games for a system, I would try and get them complete in their boxes with instructions and inlays.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:12 pm

For my megadrive collection i'm fussy, but not too bothered for other systems. As long as they don't have p00 on the disc (I had this once at a carboot)
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

David

Post by David » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Happy with cart only for most systems but now I am concentrating on megadrive stuff its boxed games only, as they just look so cool

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 pm

If I'm going to keep it then it has to be complete and in excellent condition. Why? Not really sure in all honesty! I guess I just can't see a beat-up or shabby box looking very appealing on the shelf. I'm okay with loose carts if I just want to play them however. Prices on some boxed games (especially the SNES) mean that it's simply more affordable to buy a loose cart. I couldn't spend £100 on a boxed title without even knowing if I'd enjoy it!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 pm

It doesn't have to be pristine, but I'll tend to only buy used games if in good condition or better. Only caveat, if it's something extremely rare.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

dste

Post by dste » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:16 pm

I don't try and go for perfect and pristine but I do try and go for complete and nice.

I've seen some shocking boxes over the years that I have passed on and have occassionally passed on games that haven't had instructions. I do own some cart only games but if I had the choice I would happily get rid of them for complete versions.

The reason I go for complete is because it's nicer and I like to own the complete package.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:11 am

Things have changed for me over the years. I'm not a big collector but if I buy a game, I do want it to be in perfect condition, or at least near as possible. I guess its the perfectionist in me, anything tatty or incomplete... just annoys me.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Condition doesn't overly bother me from a box point of view just as long as the cartridge doesn't look like it has been chewed on and covered in odd substances... :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Depends - there are things I want to have as collectables (like Sinclair ROM cartridges), so I want them intact with the rubber boot and the box. But even then I'm willing to forego the little instruction pamphlet if it saves me paying stupidly huge prices...

But if it's just something I never had and want to play, I'll largely go for the cheapest, battered, cartridge only or just the least-scratched disk-only option.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:27 pm

I sell my games in decent condition and expect the same from titles I purchase.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:00 pm

When I got into retro gaming I was just buying everything and anything. no matter if it was loose or rough condition, I just wanted to play everything.

I ended up with aroung 4-5000 games.

I am now down to around 1500 and am slowly working what games I really want to keep and buying them complte in good condition and selling all the other stuff to finance it all.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 pm

It has to be in decent condition and have all the bits that came with it. For example Ghostbusters on the C64 had to be the correct case (not the cheap budget release), and have the instructions in it. Obviously no pen scribbles on the cassette, etc.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:54 am

Varies for me,

If it is a specific game that i'm after, eg my copy of Doom 2 on PC, it had to be the 'Big Box' edition, with instructions etc in very good nick.

I have bought loose carts for my gameboy and that is good enough for me.